Your feedback appreciated! [Member Signup Questions]

Includes Forum Rules and Major Announcements. Post feedback, concerns, and forum issues. Moderation applications and public votes also take place here.

Re: Your feedback appreciated! [Member Signup Questions]

Unread postby TigerTally » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:04 pm

What about question about an officer's famous deed, i.e. Who is the general that had lost one of his eyes during the battle with Lu Bu? Xiaohou Dun

or question about the owner of "item" in RoTK, i.e. Who had been the owner of the Red Hare Horse? Dong Zhuo, Li Su, Lu(Lü) Bu, Cao Cao, Guan Yu, Ma Zhong, Sun Quan
TigerTally
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby capnnerefir » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:43 pm

If we're just looking for questions that bots couldn't answer but that people could, how about some that can be answered with simple logic?

Example:
Who was not a son of Sun Jian? Sun Ce, Sun Quan, or Cao Cao? (Answer Cao Cao)

It is a simple deduction that any human could make, but I don't now if bots could do that (I don't know much about how they work). Unless we're also trying to keep away humans who know nothing about the Three Kingdoms, but I'm not sure if that's part of the goal or not.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:34 am

If the answer is part of the question, bots can just scan and try words on the page (unless you make the key word an image, but then users who have images disabled would not be able to register).

Algebra questions can just be plugged into something like Wolfram Alpha.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:32 pm

If our spammers are, in fact, bots—sometimes I wonder about some of them—it might be easy enough to fool them by suggesting the answer in the question (e.g. "Which of the following is related to Cao Cao: Zhou Yu, Zhuge Liang, or Cao Teng?"). A human can probably deduce, easily enough, that the answer is Cao Teng. If they are familiar at all with the Three Kingdoms, that's even easier due to knowing the 'first name is family name' association. It should defeat bots because there is no way to construct an effective query to get the answer without human intelligence. At least without a pretty sophisticated algorithm, which could also be defeated by picking an answer that the question does not reflect in Google results as a proper noun.

Good point about Wolfram Alpha. It would be relatively easy to detect that a question is math and run it through their search for an answer to plug into the quiz.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby DragonAtma » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:05 am

Presumably not all spammers are bots, but I wouldn't be surprised if a decent amount of spam is either not english or poorly translated english. Spam on LYS's site certainly has a ton of non-english.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:22 pm

I would have more than 1 question, maybe 3. I remember the quiz for downloading music on the site that was like 10 ROTK questions so you could gain access to downloading the music. Heck, I took the quiz just to test my ROTK knowledge and didn't even bother downloading, but I would certainly give something like:

1. Who won the battle of Jieting?
    a). Wei
    b). Wu
    c). Shu
    d). Jin

2. Which of the following does not belong?

a). Guan Yu
    b). Liu Bei
    c). Jian Yong
    d). Zhang Fei

3. From the viewpoint of Shu, Mi Fang would best be described as:

a). A hero
    b). A traitor
    c). A intellect
    d). A fool
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:00 pm

You can ask the question using english. Not provide an expression.

5 years ago Kate was 5 times as old as her Son.

5 years hence her age will be 8 less than three times the corresponding age of her Son.

Find their ages.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby DragonAtma » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:43 am

Ranbir wrote:You can ask the question using english. Not provide an expression.

5 years ago Kate was 5 times as old as her Son.

5 years hence her age will be 8 less than three times the corresponding age of her Son.

Find their ages.

Obfuscating like that is likely worse on humans than on bots. My first reaction to that would be "Ugh, THAT? Really?" -- and keep in mind I was one of those crazies whose favorite subject in school was math.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tarrot » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:30 am

I think the other thing to keep in mind with sign-up questions is that, if new people are coming to the site, they're probably not going to be that versed in the era, or only have that much knowledge of it. So, the questions should be fairly easy to answer.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:36 pm

like, what is the fourth letter in the name at the top of the page?
Answer "O"
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Public Council