Tapatalk support?

Includes Forum Rules and Major Announcements. Post feedback, concerns, and forum issues. Moderation applications and public votes also take place here.

Tapatalk support?

Unread postby GanNing77 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi there. I'm a new user to the forum and love the community here. I was wondering if there are any plans to make the forum available for Tapatalk

http://tapatalk.com/

If your p2pbb is version 3.0, it is available. It is completely free.

I imagine many users here would appreciate being able to browse the forum on their mobile device. Tapatalk provides a simple and clean interface--great for forum junkies everywhere!

Thanks for your reply.
GanNing77
Initiate

Re: Tapatalk support?

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:37 pm

Hmm... this is the first I've heard about it...

I'll have to think about this one. I wouldn't mind being able to browse the forum more comfortably from my mobile phone. Is this something other people care about?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:45 pm

I use my Blackberry for viewing posts, etc on the forum often and it doesn't bother me. The only issue, I would cite is all the zooming and scrolling I have to commit to in order to participate sometimes.

I suppose it may be a good or useful option, though.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:11 pm

Like Zhuanyong I use my phone to read the occasional post from here on my BB but unlike him I find it too much effort to read more than the occasional post at the moment. So yes I would love to see this happen :).
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby GanNing77 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:14 pm

once you've used Tapatalk it is impossible to go back to forum browsing via a (mobile) browser

given you don't have any ad banners, I don't imagine you're making revenue from your hit counts... this is probably the only reason for a forum host to not utilize Tapatalk--the host won't receive their page hits for viewers browsing via the application.

It is usable by Apple, Android and Blackberry devices. The application is usually $2.99, but right now getjar has a promotion on where it is available for free.

http://www.getjar.com/mobile/237628/tap ... 11&lang=en
GanNing77
Initiate

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Wait, the client app costs money?

Which is to say, outside this promotion, people will have to pay money to view the forum in this way?
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby GanNing77 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:00 pm

James wrote:Wait, the client app costs money?

Which is to say, outside this promotion, people will have to pay money to view the forum in this way?

To view the forum with Tapatalk, yes, they'll have to purchase the client app. I use it for several different forums (only one purchase is required)... for anyone who wants to use forums on their mobile, it's well worth the $2.99 imo. I have no issue if you decide it isn't right for the users here, just wanted to propose it and wondered if there were interest.
GanNing77
Initiate

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:25 pm

Sun Fin wrote:...but unlike him I find it too much effort to read more than the occasional post at the moment...

:? I did say that it was an issue.

I have to commit myself to reading more than an occasional post because it's really the only way I can browse the forum at the moment. So I don't have a whole lot of wiggle room in allowing it to bother me. :lol:

Personally, I'm not so sure I would want to pay $2.99 for an app download for my BB... I rarely download the free ones.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Unfortunately, charging for the client is a bit of a deal breaker on this. I would only go along for that if most of the forum members who were interested in this were also using the associated software. It would probably be better to find some kind of mobile-aware theme add-on or a similar service which doesn't create a significant roadblock to adoption.

Although I'll still look into it. If it is very easy to implement and maintain I may do it.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:25 am

Zhuanyong wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:...but unlike him I find it too much effort to read more than the occasional post at the moment...

:? I did say that it was an issue.

I have to commit myself to reading more than an occasional post because it's really the only way I can browse the forum at the moment. So I don't have a whole lot of wiggle room in allowing it to bother me. :lol:

Personally, I'm not so sure I would want to pay $2.99 for an app download for my BB... I rarely download the free ones.

Fair enough I must have misunderstood you! I rarely respond on BB, as you can probably tell from my absences when I have no internet.

While I'd prefer a free app a one of payment of $2.99 isn't too much and I think it would be fair enough to have it on offer James. Its not like you have to have the app to be able to use the forum full stop.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Public Council