IMPORTANT: Account Security Announcement

Includes Forum Rules and Major Announcements. Post feedback, concerns, and forum issues. Moderation applications and public votes also take place here.

Re: IMPORTANT: Account Security Announcement

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:50 pm

It seems pointless to hack normal memebers, they might as well just make a new account!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:12 pm

Sun Fin wrote:It seems pointless to hack normal memebers, they might as well just make a new account!

Not necessarily. They could hack member accounts and insert links to websites into their profiles or signatures. Even if we could catch it, it could be hard to clean that up accurately. They could also use established member accounts to post spam. There are plenty of reasons to compromise a member account...
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby vvill79 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:05 pm

Logged out and back in and also got the maxed login attempts message. I'd imagine most currently active users would have this.
vvill79
Initiate

Unread postby James » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:13 pm

vvill79 wrote:Logged out and back in and also got the maxed login attempts message. I'd imagine most currently active users would have this.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it (whatever it is) applies to every member of the forum.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Adam » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:23 pm

Had the same thing pop up when I tested IE8 a bit ago...it only really irritates me because I -never- get the captcha right and I don't know my password off the top of my head...luckily I'm set to stay logged in in Chrome.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:41 pm

My antivirus blocked a "malicious image request" from this site. Came out of nowhere-didn't click a link or anything. The attacking computer was 216.172.172.222 and the attacking URL was the-scholars.com/download/file.php?avatar=33_1324594353.jpg

Hope that helps.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:32 pm

I removed the offending image from the forum and informed the user (someone who has been around quite a bit off and on through the years, Zhang Liao17). I suspect that was a false alarm (especially if you are using AVG), but better safe than sorry.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:36 am

Norton, actually. Though yes, it does act like President Madagascar a lot (SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING).
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:15 am

Never getting Norton or McAfee again, the two of them are OTT on every website!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby James » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:21 pm

SunXia wrote:Never getting Norton or McAfee again, the two of them are OTT on every website!!

Probably seeing false matches for some of the ancient stuff in their virus databases. Almost all reports that come in to my websites are from AVG, though. Norton's failings are more along the lines of not stopping the things which are trying to infect a computer and almost bloating and slowing the computer like a virus itself (it was pretty bad-ass back in 2002), while McAfee is just similar in not stopping so many of the threats that come along. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Public Council