Forum Broke—is it fixed?

Includes Forum Rules and Major Announcements. Post feedback, concerns, and forum issues. Moderation applications and public votes also take place here.

Re: Forum Broke—is it fixed?

Unread postby Mitsunari » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:55 pm

James wrote:Sometimes these problems can be tricky to nail down. It is possible that it's some problem along the way to the server that might only impact certain regions. But the SQL error reported on the site suggests a very different story. I haven't run into the lag yet, but I check every once and a while.

What does the SQL error signify, James?

Also, I've encountered no lagging or any other issue today, thus far.

Did you read the last part of my initial post though, where I mentioned about the Avast 'malicious item' detection in Foreign Kingdoms? It seemed to originate from off-site hosted images or avatars. :?
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby James » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:02 pm

Mitsunari wrote:What does the SQL error signify, James?

The 'too many connections' error is pretty much just that. It is the server claiming that too much is going on [too many requests for data from the database] and that it's laying the law down. Except that shouldn't really be happening in this forum.

Mitsunari wrote:Did you read the last part of my initial post though, where I mentioned about the Avast 'malicious item' detection in Foreign Kingdoms? It seemed to originate from off-site hosted images or avatars. :?

That's probably nothing. Avast likes to throw out 'false positives' in scenarios like this when dealing with the occasional avatar loaded from a third-party site. It might be associated with something unrelated on the source website. If that happens see if there's some way to get more information and find out which avatar has triggered the warning (image name), and let me know what page it is happening on. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:30 am

The forum has been running like its normal good self for last 48 hours.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:38 pm

Same here, no issues, although I reserve the right to throw a ceramic mug at Finny if he's jinxed it. :P
Mitsunari

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Mitsunari » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:14 pm

*Double post is necessary, sorry*

Uhh, there's more major lagging with loading times at my end...it's localised to SoSZ, not any other website I visit is affected by such lagging, not even KMA. It started around 5pm GMT and only eased around 10:50pm GMT, with a few consecutive 'Problems Loading Page' messages thrown in.

Is the hosting provider for this forum carrying out any server maintenance etc? Other than that, I'm a tad stumped, unless it's a browser issue?
Mitsunari

Unread postby Aygor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:22 pm

I have lag issues lately, both with Firefox and Chrome
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:39 pm

I had an issue yesterday with both computer (firefox) and the Tapatalk phone app.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:15 pm

I wonder if any members have experienced the same lagging with sporadic error messages with IE?

Can't narrow it down myself; software, and the encompassing bewilderment it hides at it's problematic core, has never been my strongest field.

I'd say it's either a service provider issue (Europe-specific) or something has gone squiffy with Firefox's latest upgrade.

EDIT: Speak of Mengde, and he's at your gate...lol...more laboured lagging as I tried to post this message.

EDIT2: This again, a mere minute later:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

However it seems more inconsistent today, one minute it's lagging for ages and giving me error messages, the next it's loading perfectly!

It's enough to drive one to supping neat Moonshine, it really is.
Mitsunari

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Yeah me two, like 5 times in the last 10 minutes.
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:53 pm

It is interesting that the lag occurred here but not at KMA.

If any of you are interested in helping out, here's something you can do. Next time a problem comes along check to see if KMA is experiencing problems as well. If KMA is loading properly, perform a 'traceroute' to both Scholars of Shen Zhou and KMA.

1) Go to http://network-tools.com
2) Choose 'Trace' on the left-hand menu
3) Enter 'kongming.net' or 'the-scholars.com' in the text field below.
4) Click 'Go!'
5) Let the numbers finish loading (there might be a delay if the server isn't responding properly) and copy the results for both trace routes to this page.

SoSZ and KMA are hosted with the same provider, but on different servers. If one is working but the other struggling this might provide very helpful information to provide the host with. Also, please include the exact time the traceroute was completed.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Public Council