Forum Layout: Feedback and Troubleshooting

Includes Forum Rules and Major Announcements. Post feedback, concerns, and forum issues. Moderation applications and public votes also take place here.

Re: Scholars of Shen Zhou, New Layout, phpBB 3.0 [Updated]

Unread postby James » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:55 pm

You're not alone. It was a big change—especially when made to a forum which has been around since 2002. All the old capabilities are here, though, so the only barrier is that a few things have moved around. It has lots of new features, though, and some of them are really great. I went through the same adjustment period myself—just well before many other people in the forum did themselves. I love it now, and I'm glad of that. It seems quite natural to me.

For what it's worth I'll be making a variation or two a little bit down the road (I've been slowly thinking through how I want to make them work). They'll probably be based on simple style sheets and the guaranteed variation will focus on an even simpler layout which downloads quickly and is easy to browse with (so it would be perfect for something like an iPhone too).
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jake » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:03 pm

About those little changes like the new features, I love that I can save my posts as drafts. I didn't notice that feature in the old forum, but in this one, I love it! I'm finn, as you well should know James, and I'm not the very best one when it comes to writing proper and long messages. So I can just save the damn message and continue when I'm up to it or I just get something onto my mind.

And oh, in the front page, I always lurk behind the "WHO IS ONLINE" link.

But still, I miss the old forum. Well, I was with ye from the year 2005, so I've got memories from that place, ya know (not as well as you James, oh no! But the old place was my "golden lounge").
Puhkon silmäni, että näkisin
En tahdo nähdä, mutta näen sen väkisin
Runtelen korvani, jotta kuulisin
En ymmärrä, mutta kuulen sen väkisin
Jake
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:13 pm

I understand. It is still same same forum at heart, though. :)

I just had to decide how much I intended to embrace some code which clearly wasn't going to be updated forever. And given all the security risks of doing so, it was pretty easy to make the choice in the end.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:17 am

I truly do hate this new layout.

Just for the record.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby James » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:44 am

I would 'duly note it' but I've run out of notepaper upon which to record your complaints. :lol:

Since you've decided to share your thoughts again (is that called sharing?) I might as well ask: what would you like to see in another theme variation? Do you miss the old layout because it was familiar, and as such are you looking for another familiar layout? Or is it something else?
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:14 pm

Other than the complaints I lodged before, here is one thing I'd really love to see! When I click on "show new posts" or whatever it's called, and then click through and read posts, they stay on that list, just without the "new post" flag. It would be great if they would disappear from that list after they've been read. Convenience feature. You can say "change your reading habits" (if you're Lady Wu, for example), but I say screw that—change the site to suit all kinds of reading habits! ;)

Familiarity is a big part of it. This site looks a lot clunkier. I know, that's an aesthetic thing, but whatever, it's still legitimate grounds for dislike. The site looks clunkier to me. It's larger, less streamlined, garish Easter colours, annoying post-login screen, etc.

One improvement that I like is seeing my Cao card avatar at the top of the screen in the main bar at all times. ;)
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:07 am

Wow, I'm away for a week and there's a new layout!

All I can say is that it looks broken and crap on IE6 running on a computer in Naryn, Kyrgyzstan. There's some extra options and stuff but the stylesheet just isn't loading, and junk is flying all over the screen (wish I know how to upload a screenshot of it).

I suppose I won't be browsing much until I get back to a reasonable browser with a connection of reasonable speed... :(
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:33 am

Lady Wu wrote:Wow, I'm away for a week and there's a new layout!

Uh... really? :shock:

I haven't touched it... not at all. It is the same old 'Easter pastel crap' it has been since I remade it months ago. I just loaded it up in IE 6 to be sure and the only real difference I see is that the font colors aren't right for the links in the top banner. But the layout is intact like it should be. There is definitely something wrong with the computer you are using and it sounds like a corrupt cache. You might try clearing it and re-loading the page?

Lady Wu wrote:I suppose I won't be browsing much until I get back to a reasonable browser with a connection of reasonable speed... :(

Another thing you can always try is turning images off completely in your browser settings. But there's definitely something nastier which needs to be resolved first, though. You know... maybe there was a server problem at the time you tried to load the forum? I've come on a few times over the years and found that the style sheet wasn't loading. But usually a reload or two fixes that up quickly...

Hehe... if I redesigned the site again, it would be more along the lines of what I have planned for Kongming's Archives whenever that fictional revision comes along, and that is largely text-based and, as before, consumes the whole screen.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:08 am

Please note that I don't necessarily think the forum is bad... just that it's unforgivably ugly.
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:13 am

I think it is beautiful. Far more than what simrtk got given. Blessings be counted.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

PreviousNext

Return to Public Council