Forum Layout: Feedback and Troubleshooting

Includes Forum Rules and Major Announcements. Post feedback, concerns, and forum issues. Moderation applications and public votes also take place here.

Forum Layout: Feedback and Troubleshooting

Unread postby James » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:59 pm

Greetings everyone!

I figured now might be a good time to start this discussion. phpBB 3.0 has come out, and it is destined to appear here at Scholars of Shen Zhou. Because SimRTK has a greater need of phpBB 3’s features, I implemented the upgrade there first (SoSZ is usually the guinea pig, but not this time). I’ve been refining the layout there and slowly working out kinks, and once all is set, I’ll be implementing a variation here as well.

I’ll also be back quite regularly at that point.
I’ve been spending quite a bit of time coding. :)

View SimRTK’s phpBB 3.0 Theme
http://simrtk.net/

What will be different here?
Scholars of Shen Zhou will have a lighter theme and will probably still be based on shades of blue. Images, of course, will also be different. The general forum layout, though, will be similar to the new one at SimRTK.

How was the theme received?
People did not like it at first. Some color adjustments were necessary, but with time, many people have come to love it. It was very strange for me at first (this mostly due to new phpBB 3.0 features) but I have come to adore it, and I’m really looking forward to bringing this functionality over to SoSZ. It will be strange for everyone when it is first done.

The most major change, for some people, will be the fixed-width layout.

Please provide thoughts and feedback, if you have any. :)

It is possible to make a difference as early as now.

Edit: Oh, ignore the pink ruler names. I’m teasing them.

Edit 2: Some of the information above no longer applies. SoSZ will be receiving an evolved form of the SimRTK layout with a different color theme and cleaner neutral presentation. Concerns about screen resolutions should not be an issue for either large or small screens.
Last edited by James on Sat May 10, 2008 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:27 am

Keep it as close to what SoSZ looks now!

It's clean, nothing distracting. All about the content.

Also, check the test forum, lefty avvies! Lefty! Lefty! Lefty! Lefty!

SoSZ currently doesn't seem to need the fix width. Rargh!

I can handle simrtk going that way cause I don't really play it anymore. But I come here everyday. The layout here is so subtle and the liquid width comes out natural.

The fixed width you do have is too small anyway. Even for a set min. Most common screen resolution is 1024 x 768. I have worldwide surveys to prove it! I choose not to refer them.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:53 am

Haha. Yeah, Ranbir here has been in the eye of the storm.

It will be fixed width. Before I do anything here, though, I am going to consider a possible second layout (1024) at SimRTK. If I do that, SoSZ will get the same dimensions for a second layout as well.

Also, SoSZ will remain very toned down and easy on the eyes.

And junk will be on the right!
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Adam » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:57 am

Yeah I agree with that guy, keep it as much like it is now as possible, only minor changes are acceptable. kthx
:P

I'm not a fan of the fixed width layout, I currently run on 1400ishX990 and the edges around the content are actually larger than the content itself...given not many people probably run much higher than 1024X768 normally...but since when did I start caring about them? :P

Oh and for the love of Santa try to get rid of the group colors showing up in the rest of the forum (IE Last post by: James), it just wouldn't seem normal here.

Been so long since I gave a crap about my own forum that I can't actually remember how things work anymore.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:52 am

I haven’t seen a place to disable colors by area—so it will have to happen. :)

At least admins here are blue, not red.

The layout will be fixed-width.

Hopefully I’ve got a 1024 solution for people that want it. :)

But the theme will be prosilver based (to access prosilver search features, especially) so things will look different. I’m just going to try to keep the general feel of the forum as I go along.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:07 am

I don't mind the fixed width or even the size of the width on SimRTK right now. The layout looks alright. It'll be alright to get used to. The only thing I don't care for are the posts themselves. Avatars and poster info on the right is strange and annoying (but just because it's different).
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:26 am

Yeah, having everything on the right really threw me for a loop as well the first time I started playing with it. In fact, when I first installed a release candidate of phpBB 3 I was so surprised by the layout that I didn’t follow through with my intention—to learn how to hack the layout.

After time, though, I became used to having information on the right-hand side. I guess it is kind of like Kongming’s Archives, where all the content I read is on the left-hand side. phpBB 3 (and prosilver) seem really weird after using phpBB 2 for so long, but I’m getting used to things pretty quickly.

I would have considered tossing those things on the left, but that would require some manual hacking of layout files, which in turn would require revised manual hacking with updates. I’m happy with the new layout I’m making for prosilver because there are only two files in the entire forum which I modify—and only two which will need to be updated, and even then, only on rare occasion.

That means updating forums won’t be a pain in the arse. :lol:

(And I actually like the current width of SimRTK.
The people who don’t seem to be Windows users with high resolution screens that browse the internet with their browsers maximized).
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:20 am

James wrote:(And I actually like the current width of SimRTK. The people who don’t seem to be Windows users with high resolution screens that browse the internet with their browsers maximized).

Yeah. I can't abide having a whole paragraph on one line...
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Harimau » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:12 am

I like it on the right. Most of the information near the avatar are completely useless anyway, you can see who posted it on the line just above the text.

It would be nice to have alternate widths, though. I have a 19-incher running at 1024x768 at home, but a 24-incher on 1600x1200 at work. I wonder how it's going to look.

Anyone got a screenshot with the higher resolutions?

I'm absolutely in love with the admin functions. Such... POWAH! MWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:20 am

But the theme will be prosilver based

Make it subsilver. :)
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Next

Return to Public Council