Dynasty Warriors 3 (& XL) Discussion Thread

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Unread postby Deathman48 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:19 am

One thing it sacrifices though is the massive attack bonus that his 4th weapon gets, it's the only other weapon that allows you to have maximum attack apart from Lu Bu without the aid of items you've obtained from tons of combo points. Not sure how much this has been discussed but you'll forgive me if I don't have time to read 77 pages. ^^;

DW3:XL is my favourite out of all the DW games. Why? There's a few reasons. One is that, in retrospect, they got so many things right with DW3. Am I alone in thinking that the damage ratios in DW4 and DW5 are totally screwed up? In DW4 (not XL), when you maxed your character out completely, any enemy generals that were charged up with the lightning effect couldn't even move you at all. So fighting Lu Bu on Hu Lao Gate became a cake walk because he could cause you next to no damage. Then in DW5, when you max out your attack, on every difficulty up to hard you do a ton of damage, then on Chaos suddenly even Gate Captains can kill you in what feels like a few hits. There's no inbetween.

In DW3:XL, yeah on Very Hard enemies took a while to kill but you ALSO had fairly high defense, especially if your weapon gave you defense. The equivalent in DW5 (Chaos) is nothing like that, it's a struggle to get to the end of later maps in Chaos mode. The damage ratios in DW3 (and then DW3:XL) were far more acceptable in my eyes, and it provides much more enjoyment to me. I don't care if it takes a full combo to get rid of Privates, at least have it so that I don't die in a few hits myself. The archers of He Fei Castle are a joy compared to Chaos mode.

Really that's the main reason I still enjoy this game so much. Koei can add all the features they like, but nothing, except maybe a map editor, will matter to me until they sort out the damage ratios. It's such a fundamental aspect of the game that it's crucial to get that right. And using the musou rage ability? That was a neat idea but it only further aggrivated the problem. Lu Bu using his musou rage could kill you in no time, and if you used a maxed out character and used musou rage in anything up to Hard difficulty you could pretty much kill a full health enemy general if you used your moves correctly, that's way too much damage to be dealing out.

Well, that's my 2 cents on where Koei's been going wrong with recent DW games, from that aspect anyway. DW4's lack of enemies is for another thread. =D
Deathman48
Tyro

Unread postby Prince of Wei » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:29 pm

Hear, hear. That's exactly what I've been thinking, but I haven't worked out how to put it into words. DW3XL was a lot more fun as a result.
Prince of Wei
Tyro

Unread postby Tso Lan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:33 pm

Yo, I have a question. Its been awhile since I have played DW3 XL, but when you upload your DW3 data to DW3 XL, do you get all the weapons, items, and stats back or does it only allow you to play the original Musou modes again?
All hail Zhang He, Gan Ning, and Ma Chao
Tso Lan
Changshi

Unread postby Mei Zhen » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:34 pm

DW3:XL sure does load stats, weapons and items - even the Musou Clear's for folks you have already beat the game with in DW3 proper. It does however reset bodyguards (the new ones are much better anyhow) and points for each character.

Note that adding XL makes even the old musou modes much more challenging - It's really hard to get the East gate to open in Campaign for Wu Territory and do the Taishi Ci defects event, as well as the Sun Quan unlocking event, so make sure you've already done those already in the regular game.
"In a modern culture
My friend you must be careful
They've a million ways to kill you

In this dangerous world
There’s an art to growing old
Taking chances
Magic happens"
- Garbage, Breaking Up the Girl
Mei Zhen
Lost in Quotation

Unread postby Tso Lan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:32 pm

[quote="Mei Zhen"]DW3:XL sure does load stats, weapons and items - even the Musou Clear's for folks you have already beat the game with in DW3 proper. It does however reset bodyguards (the new ones are much better anyhow) and points for each character.

Note that adding XL makes even the old musou modes much more challenging - It's really hard to get the East gate to open in Campaign for Wu Territory and do the Taishi Ci defects event, as well as the Sun Quan unlocking event, so make sure you've already done those already in the regular game.[/quote]

Oh don't worry, I already have all the characters and stuff. I plan to do the XL transformation once I have all the 4th weapons for Shu, Wu, and Wei and all the items too so when I start XL, Ill be ready to start working with the "Other" characters and then get the new items and the 5th Level Weapons.
All hail Zhang He, Gan Ning, and Ma Chao
Tso Lan
Changshi

I´m playing DW3x now, don´t need help at the moment

Unread postby Djævelen_27_Randers » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:41 pm

James wrote:I think we will be lucky to even see it in the States, unfortunately. There is no English release information at this time. :(

We have it in Dk -somewhere!! -though!!!!!! I have never seen a DW game in greatest Ps2-shops in Randers, But the have Kessen and Dynasty Tactics and a shop in Vejle have DW 3 of them!!!!!!!!

You can´t regret your acktions, once you are dead! - Some dude in Kessen2 :D
Hey check me at http://www.123hjemmeside.dk/david2006realplayer
Don´t get too hasty; we must wait for reinforcements -
Djævelen_27_Randers
Tyro

Unread postby Mei Zhen » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:24 pm

Last night, 11:30 PM, Equinox and myself completed a mission weset out on roughly 2 1/2 years ago - we got everybody's rank points to 99999 to unlock the last costume in the game! (Sun Shang Xiang's Dynasty Tactics uniform) We'd beaten all the musous and gotten maxxed versions of all items, as well as all the weapons already a couple of years ago, and with a mixed sense of relief we finally 'finished' the game.

I've got to say, DW3:XL is one of the sickest console add-ons ever. While the game itself without DW3 is not really worth it, combined, the two make for a pretty wicked monster. I actually enjoyed getting most of the weapons, and using them was even more fun. I've experimented with different item setups to see what would happen, and that breathed new life into the core game. And of course the nifty unlockables are something I wish that Koei would include in other games as well - while the extra Lu Bu and SSX outfits aren't much, they give you something to aim for - though the secret Dong Zhuo/Lu Bu Chi Bi complete with DT music was definitely awesome.

I suppose I can finally put the game down...for a little while.
"In a modern culture

In this dangerous world
Taking chances
Magic happens"
Mei Zhen
Lost in Quotation

Unread postby Shia Qiao » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:46 pm

Should I buy it even if I dont have 3 yet? Or it is a very bad DW game?
Shia Qiao
Student

Unread postby Mei Zhen » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:38 pm

Without DW3 XL is pretty hard to play and not nearly as fun. I strongly suggest getting DW3 first because it is in fact an add-on - it will also help you get acclimated to playing the game and knowing the system before taking the plunge into harder difficulty and more challenging objectives. That said, though, DW3 with XL is easily the most fun DW I've ever played.
"In a modern culture

In this dangerous world
Taking chances
Magic happens"
Mei Zhen
Lost in Quotation

Unread postby Shia Qiao » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:55 pm

Mei Zhen wrote:Without DW3 XL is pretty hard to play and not nearly as fun. I strongly suggest getting DW3 first because it is in fact an add-on - it will also help you get acclimated to playing the game and knowing the system before taking the plunge into harder difficulty and more challenging objectives. That said, though, DW3 with XL is easily the most fun DW I've ever played.

So XL for DW3 is not like XL for DW4 or XL for DW5?
Shia Qiao
Student

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training