Dynasty Warriors 3 (& XL) Discussion Thread

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 3 (& XL) Discussion Thread

Unread postby Kotosho » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:37 pm

I'm toasting on the 16th birthday of my (and many other's) favourite game; Dynasty Warriors 3. I've been playing this game for so long that I can't remember when I started. The only thing I remember is that I've always played on the same Xbox and with the same controller (which nearly broke, luckily my dad repaired it). I've been playing ever since I was a small kid. I don't know why my parents allowed me to play this, but I'm very grateful to them.

My interest for ANYTHING China related came from this game. It's done a lot for me. Today I'll be playing the hardest stage on the hardest difficulty with the first character I've ever played with, Xiahou Dun.

Here's to many more years of Dynasty Warriors 3 (I'm counting on you to survive for some more years, Xbox).

Cheers! :D
''Do not do evil because it is a small evil; do not leave undone a small good because it is a small good'' - Liu Bei
Kotosho
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:39 pm

Kotosho wrote:Today I'll be playing the hardest stage on the hardest difficulty with the first character I've ever played with, Xiahou Dun.

Hu Lao Gate?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lost » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:31 pm

There's also the big three end battles from what I remember. Wu Zhang Plains, He Fei Castle and Yi Ling were all difficult.

If I had to pick one I'd say Wu Zhang Plains just because of how big the map felt but of course none of them have the infamous Lu Bu!
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Kotosho » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:46 am

I went with Wu Zhang Plains. That's the last map. I played He Fei Castle with Xu Huang a few days ago on very hard. Yi Ling is yet to be played on very hard.

Hu Lao Gate can be very easy if you play with a character with the element death. Lu Bu is the only threat and the element causes the HP to go down really fast.
''Do not do evil because it is a small evil; do not leave undone a small good because it is a small good'' - Liu Bei
Kotosho
Tyro

Unread postby Lost » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Good job. I don't have my ps2 anymore unfortunately but you got me to watch some gameplay on youtube just for the nostalgia.

It worries me how little the games seem to have really developed. I'd have thought by now that Empires would at least let you choose where to deploy your officers and given you your own unit of men to follow you into battle. Not to mention officers used to have subordinates of their own rather than every officer being an equal below the commander.

I know the games have improved in some areas, story telling in particular, but looking back I can't help but think more could have been achieved.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Kotosho » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Lost wrote: I know the games have improved in some areas, story telling in particular, but looking back I can't help but think more could have been achieved.

You're defenitely right about that one. I don't mind it that much, probably because DW3 is my favourite and all the other's aren't that different. I'm afraid for the new combat system in DW9, I love the DW3 system and those who're a lot like it.
Kotosho
Tyro

Unread postby ShallowBay » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:57 am

Today was a wonderful day! (Just upgraded my Elixir to 25+)
ShallowBay
Tyro

Unread postby Equinox » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:11 pm

One of the things about DW3 that is notable when compared to other games of the series is how effective musou recharge is. A high Elixir makes characters like Pang Tong and Gan Ning beyond dangerous, making dropping to critical health and fighting evasively/blocking a completely viable strategy. Congrats on the powerful Elixir!
Equinox
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training