Dynasty Warriors gamers age thread

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Your current age?

13 or under
6%
14 to 19
61%
20 and above
33%

Total votes : 126

Unread postby Lady Mi » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:25 pm

I am 14 and a half.
Lady Mi
Assistant

Unread postby Pang De Ma Chao Warrior » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:59 am

I definetly like it for the history. But younger gamers like it because all they have to do is mash the square button.
"I fight with this the blade of justice forged in the fires of virtue."

"As a gentleman of Guan Zhong i must defeat you."

"None of you could beat me in a hundred years."
Pang De Ma Chao Warrior
Tyro

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:41 am

Pang De Ma Chao Warrior wrote:I definetly like it for the history. But younger gamers like it because all they have to do is mash the square button.

Quite frankly, I generally dislike DW players who are not familiar with Sanguo history or can't pronounce the names correctly (to an extent). I get irritated when someone goes, "Oh, I'm soooo good with that samurai guy". Or if someone goes, "I like Cow Pee, even though he has a funny name".

:roll:
[Current System]
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.63 GHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 770 @ 1241/3906 MHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 Triple Channel
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Cooler Master HAF 922 Chassis
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:24 am

Why? Weren't you once young? And not everybody has read the book so they don't always know. Furthermore I pronounce a lot of things wrong because most of the things I learn, I learn from reading. (Which means I only see the word and don't hear the pronunciation) So it makes sense that both people who have not read the book and people who have read the book would pronounce the names wrong.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:53 am

SlickSlicer wrote:Why? Weren't you once young? And not everybody has read the book so they don't always know. Furthermore I pronounce a lot of things wrong because most of the things I learn, I learn from reading. (Which means I only see the word and don't hear the pronunciation) So it makes sense that both people who have not read the book and people who have read the book would pronounce the names wrong.

Perhaps I should clarify: I dislike people who are unfamiliar with the history/pronunciation and take no interest in wanting to learn more about it. I dislike people who are ignorant and wish to remain ignorant, making numerous errors as a result of their ignorance.

You don't get irritated when people keep saying "Cow Cow"? :wink:

Meh, maybe I'm just easily irritated. I get annoyed when people say Lucy "Loo" rather than Lucy "Leeoh". :P
[Current System]
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby Iain » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:16 am

Kongming's Prodigy wrote:Perhaps I should clarify: I dislike people who are unfamiliar with the history/pronunciation and take no interest in wanting to learn more about it. I dislike people who are ignorant and wish to remain ignorant, making numerous errors as a result of their ignorance.
You shouldnt be so harsh on those who are simply looking for a fun bit of gameplay too, they are entitled to enjoy the DW series just as much as someone who has read all the history and the 3K novel, and can pronounce every single officer name in the correct fashion.

If anything the DW series may (and probably does) interest people to look for the 3K novel and read about the heroes of the game they just finished playing with, thats how I got invovled in the entire 3K subject, a little game called Dynasty Warriors 2 was my launch title for the PS2 in Oct 2000, it looked like fun and it was. Eventually I sought out the 3K novel because I desired to learn more about the background that this game was based on.

Now today I have a solid interest in the period and enjoy discussing or reading about events during that time, I have gained so much in knowledge in the last few years that its actually incredible to think it began with one simple beat-them-up game. Before I picked up DW2 I had no idea of the rich storyline and history about the 3K era, if nothing else I thank Koei for giving me an interest in a subject I never thought I ever would show any.

By the way because of my rather thick Scots accent I probably pronouce all the names wrong, but really as long as I enjoy what I am viewing does it really matter how I say it? :wink:
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:52 am

Ok, I give up. :lol:

I'm just saying that these things irritate me when I am bluntly faced with a situation involving such.
[Current System]
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby Jordan » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:11 am

Part of strength is not letting things irritate you. It is also an important characteristic in a relationship. Everybody has pet peeves and everyone needs to hit a pillow now and then but in general you will feel more calm if you don't let people or things get to you.

Anyhow I digress....I think there are Koei gamers of all ages.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:22 am

Do you younger DW gamers ever have parents that complain about the game's focus on "violence"? :wink:

I remember having a good talk with the conservative parent of a child who had played DW. The parent was concerned with his child becoming too aggressive and pugnacious after having killed so many soldiers. I basically laughed him off.
[Current System]
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby Iain » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:27 am

Kongming's Prodigy wrote:I remember having a good talk with the conservative parent of a child who had played DW. The parent was concerned with his child becoming too aggressive and pugnacious after having killed so many soldiers. I basically laughed him off.
I'd point them towards something like the GTA series of games where the violence takes place in cities similar to the ones we live in, and rewards are given for crime rampages. The DW games are rather tame compared to that, there's barely even a drop of blood spilled in their games. :wink:
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training