DW, DW2, DW3 Discussion Thread

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: DW, DW2, DW3 Discussion Thread

Unread postby Sean » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:14 am

Kiyo wrote:One thing I didn't like about 3's soundtrack that I noticed was that rather than looping, the songs seem to stop then start again. I think loopings better ^^

Doesn't matter anyway, I think I care too much about music in games.

Being music from an OST the music's got to end sometime right? Even so, the music does loop, and quite effectively I'd say. Have you checked out He Fei Castle's theme's too? I play that level a lot just to hear the music loop. I understand what you mean about caring a lot about the music; I was like this for the Onimusha trilogy on PS2, but that's a story for another time.

The music's good. The gameplay's good. The character models are still good at this point.
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Open 24/7 for discussion. [Please take time zones into consideration.]
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kiyo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:09 pm

It loops on the game? Then maybe the videomaker put the OST over it instead... I don't know... but anyway, I'm like that with lots of games. Like when I play Guilty Gear, I spend ages deciding on what tune to have in the background. And I know this is weird but I have to stop myself from getting all emotional while playing Super Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie or Ocarina of Time, because the music brings back so many memories xD

With Dynasty Warriors 5, I usually choose a level with great music, like Hu Lao Gate or Tian Shui... my favourite stage ever is Chang Ban though, not just for the music.
Kiyo
Apprentice

Unread postby Sean » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:45 pm

Kiyo wrote:And I know this is weird but I have to stop myself from getting all emotional while playing Super Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie or Ocarina of Time, because the music brings back so many memories xD

Heehee, I lose myself over the Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest 8 soundtrack.
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Open 24/7 for discussion. [Please take time zones into consideration.]
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kiyo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:50 pm

Hard to control yourself isn't it xD

Imagine a world without music O_O
Kiyo
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed May 05, 2010 3:03 pm

So, I've just ordered DW for under £4 (about $3). Looking forward to seeing how the game started! Any advice?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Masatog » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Sun Fin wrote:So, I've just ordered DW for under £4 (about $3). Looking forward to seeing how the game started! Any advice?

I was told by a friend that the character models all have square boxed heads. Those were just heresays... and that formed my impression that DW really did improve greatly thoughout its series. Hopefully it won't look too ugly (but I suppose it could be a good thing. Think of the big hitbox when you jump attack!).
Current Avatar: RTKXI's Chen Gong in LoCC sprite.
Masatog
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:31 pm

Yeah that was a bit embarrasing. Apparently I didn't have £4 in my account when I made that order. So it got... erm... cancelled.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Iain » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:30 am

Ya know I put DW2 on the old PS2 the other day and dang it still looks good, I can still remember that feeling of delight watching all those different famous warriors ascending the hill to mad Zhang Jaio's castle. I know graphically the series has made leaps and bounds but the basic game play was simple and effective back then and for the most part its still what makes the newer games so enjoyable. :)
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:52 pm

Iain wrote:Ya know I put DW2 on the old PS2 the other day and dang it still looks good, I can still remember that feeling of delight watching all those different famous warriors ascending the hill to mad Zhang Jaio's castle. I know graphically the series has made leaps and bounds but the basic game play was simple and effective back then and for the most part its still what makes the newer games so enjoyable. :)

I should try to get back into it. DW2 is actually the one that I missed (I started with DW1, thought it was hilarious, didn't really "get" the change in direction, and then jumped back on board with DW3). It might take a little bit of a shift in expectations for me to go back unaided by nostalgia, having not played it before... but then again, I love the series, so maybe it'll be a fun retro experience. :)
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Aygor » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:29 pm

Man DW2 was awesome, i miss it a lot.
You felt like a true hero at war, it was hard as hell (DW5's chaos mode pales in comparison to DW2's hard mode), enemy and allied officers used to kill houndreds of enemies too..
Arrows had a point back then, i used them quite often and enemy bowmen were truly deadly (Liu Bei's camp at Yi Ling was an arrowstorm :!: ).
Troops actually mattered; if for any reason you'd fought far from your troops, you could see them carve through the enemy formation with high morale and defeat enemy generals on their way.
Today i decided to play a lil bit of DW2 again. The CD wouldn't run anymore. Today was a sad day.
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training