DW, DW2, DW3 Discussion Thread

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: DW, DW2, DW3 Discussion Thread

Unread postby Sean » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:57 pm

Kiyo wrote:I have DW5 and 6, and I love them, especially 5. But I saw a new, unopened DW3 selling for £10. Think it's worth getting if I have 5 and 6?

Also, what stuff is different in 3?

A lot of things are different in 3. In my opinion, 3 is vastly difficult in comparison to 5 and 6. 3 is hard/different because:

1. You get 5 items to work with. Saddles don't take up a different item slot.
2. Hard difficulty = Officers block a lot + archers fire faster and harder + Dropped items (permanent stat boosts and otherwise) give higher bonuses
3. Less characters, obviously. No Yue Ying, Guan Ping, Xing Cai, Pang De, Cao Ren, Cao Pi, Ling Tong, Zhou Tai, Zuo Ci, and perhaps a few others I missed. You also get to see Xiahou Yuan use a sword as opposed to a whack-a-mole club.
4. Less levels in comparison to future installments, another given. Also some characters make one appearance in Musou Mode, mostly the Other characters.
5. Some characters use the same 1st and 2nd weapons. For example, Cao Cao, Liu Bei, Yuan Shao, Sun Jian, Sun Quan, and Dong Zhuo all use the same 1st and 2nd weapons. Guan Yu, Zhang Liao, Lu Meng, and IIRC Zhang Fei use the same 1st and 2nd weapon. Some characters with unique weapons (Dian Wei, Zhen Ji, SunShangXiang, Diao Chan, Sun Ce, to name a few) use their own type of weapon and thus don't share 1st and 2nd weapons with anyone. This is useful because, for example, if you really like using Liu Bei and manage to get a really good 2nd weapon with him you can use it to [easily] level Cao Cao, Yuan Shao, Sun Jian/Quan, and Dong Zhuo with little difficulty.

There are definitely more, but I haven't touched DW3 in ages.
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Open 24/7 for discussion. [Please take time zones into consideration.]
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kiyo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:58 am

Alright, thanks for that. It does seem like a really good game, but I've decided to wait until I've finished a good few of my new games, plus I'll probably get some more for Christmas which is coming really fast. It's an old game, so it can only get cheaper, too. However, I'm getting a bit worried that they'll soon stop selling new, unopened copies. I hope that doesn't happen until I get it...

But 3 is better than 4, isn't it? That's what everyone's saying
Kiyo
Apprentice

Unread postby Sean » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:15 pm

This might not apply to you, but I usually see a used copy of DW3 in Gamestop stores. They're usually under $10, sometimes as low as $4.99.
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kiyo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:05 pm

Oh, we don't have that shop over here. But thanks though!

I'm actually listening to the song 'Arena' from the game, it's really amazing ^^
Kiyo
Apprentice

Unread postby Sean » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:54 pm

Right, DW3 music. It has some memorable themes that I still prefer over current DW games. I like "Wallcrusher", which is the He Fei battle on Wei Forces, and "Surprise Attack", the same level but on Wu Forces.

Another thing--stages typically have two themes; one for each side. Levels like Hu Lao Gate, Yellow Turban Rebellion, and the smaller, 30-minute stages, don't have two themes. Well unless, the level is programmed to change themes when noting the climax of a battle.

I like how DW3 condensed some important battles into one level. For example, Hu Lao Gate--it combined Si Shui and Hu Lao into one battle but still included Hua Xiong guarding Si Shui and Lu Bu beating the crap out of Yuan Shu. :)
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kiyo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:01 am

Those are nice songs too, the music's winning me over ^^ Although it says Surprise Attack's in DW2

Si Shui Gate and Hu Lao Gate together? So, you kill Hua Xiong, pass the gate, go round Lu Bu and kill Dong Zhuo? Sounds long, but nice idea xD
Kiyo
Apprentice

Unread postby Sean » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:22 am

Kiyo wrote:Si Shui Gate and Hu Lao Gate together? So, you kill Hua Xiong, pass the gate, go round Lu Bu and kill Dong Zhuo? Sounds long, but nice idea xD

Yeah, it's a long one. There are basically two types of battles in DW3: Long ones (90 minutes) and short ones (30 minutes).

Spoiler contains level information on Hu Lao Gate.

Basically for Hu Lao Gate, Yuan Shao and Cao Cao start in the northwest portion of the map, and they meet up with Sun Jian who's a little south of them, and they plow through Fan Chou and a couple other officers through Si Shui Gate. Hua Xiong is actually behind the gate and charges out when Si Shui is broken through. Meanwhile, Liu Bei and his brothers circle around and go through another gate, which supposedly leads behind Si Shui Gate, meaning there's no way to get a Guan Yu vs. Hua Xiong duel.

Meanwhile, Yuan Shu in the southeast is getting his ass handed to him because Lu Bu is right next to him. He's usually the first to go too. There is a Liu Bei + Guan Yu + Zhang Fei vs. Lu Bu cutscene IIRC, but it doesn't affect the battle in anyway except possibly lowering Lu Bu's morale. After getting past Lu Bu, either circling around him or defeating him, you go through a narrow windy path in which Li Ru ambushes you with a bunch of archers. Then you get to Hu Lao Gate, where Siege Captains appear and so does a battering ram. You have to defend the Siege Captains from enemies for a period of time, but if you fail Li Ru comes out of nowhere and ambushes you. Killing him opens Hu Lao Gate anyway. And inside Hu Lao Gate is Dong Zhuo himself.
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kiyo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:36 am

I think that sounds really fun. I'll definitely get this game at some point in the future. Thanks again~

One more thing, is Lu Bu's theme exactly the same in 3 and 4?
Kiyo
Apprentice

Unread postby Sean » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:47 am

Kiyo wrote:One more thing, is Lu Bu's theme exactly the same in 3 and 4?

They're similar, but I wouldn't say they're the same. 4's theme sounds a little more "epic" IMO, but 3's theme is still good nonetheless. Same thing with the intro movie's music. Not that you're doing it but I wouldn't judge two similar games by their music.
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kiyo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:22 am

Yeah, the 4th theme's my favourite (even though I haven't played the game), and I watched a video of 3 with what I thought was the same song in the background, but maybe I was wrong.

One thing I didn't like about 3's soundtrack that I noticed was that rather than looping, the songs seem to stop then start again. I think loopings better ^^

Doesn't matter anyway, I think I care too much about music in games.
Kiyo
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training