Dynasty Warriors 10 Characters Wishlist

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Dynasty Warriors 10 Characters Wishlist

Unread postby Gongsun Z. » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:14 pm

Hello scholars of the Three Kingdoms,

And what a very good threat! :D

At the time posting, no information leaked about a future Dynasty Warriors game, so this is just about hope and expectations for the next one (DW10 ?). Maybe when the time to a great announcement will come, can we move it to a better place so it can live in harmony in a world of other little posts like it??

(Edit: It's done, thanks DONG ZHOU ! That's the spirit. My post is happy now. :wink: )

That said, is it my turn, thought?

Before giving my roster, I have noticed two facts:
- First: that characters appearing in Dynasty Warriors Blast (a card game) are giving a lot of spotlight of the future Dynasty Warriors games.
- Second: That the more the character in highlights is given importance for the future, the more different cards he is represented in. So I will give the numbers of cards associated to guess which one will appear.

:pika: So let’s begin the dance :

Wu:

Likely - Zhu Zhi (2 cards): It’s just a guest, but I think they want to complete the old guard of Sun Jian (In the net called ‘Five magnificent’), like each Shu and Wei Kingdoms had their five Tiger’s General.

Sun Luban (2 cards): Finally a later one for Wu. I am happy for Ding Feng who will be not let alone again (his ending in DW9 when he is accompanying by the spirits of his old friends and commanders on the battlefield is blowing terrific and a little sad).

Zhu Huan (2 cards): The madman of Wu. :twisted:

Impossibility: Pan Zhang. Maybe you like him, like me, so sorry. It will not appear. :|
Guess 1: He haven’t had any card thought he is a top commander.
Guess 2: His presence will disturb the story of Lü Meng, Guan Yu and Xiahou Dun. It is unthinkable for them since each of these characters had key storylines and are truly appreciated by gamers.
Guess 3: There will be a madman for Wu, just one, and it will be Zhu Huan; two madmen in the same town is impossible.

Personal desire:

1. Zhuge Jin (1 card): Wei got 5 strategists, Shu had 3, Jin had 2 and even Others had one. Why Wu had NO strategists?? :rangry: Like they say in DW4: ‘Impressive! WU do not require strategists?’ :lol: (Yu Fan, Zhang Zhao or Gu Yong could even work )
2. Lü Fan (No card): A friend of Sun Ce who did well under Sun Quan. A complete strategist and a very good general. I prefer that one to Zhu Zhi because he lived longer and we can tell a better story about him. Not much popular though, and can interfere with the bromance Zhou Yu-Sun Ce.
3. Jiang Qin (1 card): I guess he will be add, but not yet. Knowing them, I guess he can be the sidekick-funny pirate of Gan Ning. But there is already Ling Tong for that… :P
4.Wu Guotai (1 card): For that one, it will be difficult since she will occult Bu Lianshi, a peaceful character who can support and aid Sun Quan in his road to be Emperor. Plus, she is not a weifu. And KOEI like the weifus. So she will be a weifu, or nothing, but probably not in the next episode.
5. Zhuge Ke (1 card): A difficult, but very interesting one to place in the game. May be appears when they will take the decision to go after the Sun Quan’s story (a very low chance for the moment I guess; read the personal note below to know why).
5. Yu Quan (No card): I’m rooting for a Wu general supporting Wen Qin and Zhuge Dan in their rebellion. I choose him preferably to Zhu Yi only because comparatively to him, he got a glorious end.
6. Sun Hao (No card): The final Boss of Jin !!! The Dong Zhuo of the late era. A very good character indeed. I can’t wait to see him appearing ! :twisted:
7. Lu Kang (1 card): Lü Bu ? Is that you ?? :mrgreen: The right arm of a fool, the final spearhead of Wu. Great character for great deads for a great finish.
8. Zhou Fang (No card): A one true story who could work. To add in ladder thought.

Personal note: For the three last characters, the more the editor of the Warriors made us waiting about later Wu, the more the license will last (in their spirit).

Shu

Likely-Liao Hua (3 cards): Yes! He lived to the beginning of Shu to its fall. The only one to have known each playing characters of Shu, that’s something ! The memory of the Three Kingdoms, a life in turmoil like the Era he lived in and simply, a true legend! The best add they can ever do. 8-)

Yan Yan (2 cards): An old friend for Huang Zhong. Him appearing, it will be the reign of the elders. But what can we tell about him? Even the amount of information about his real life is rare. There so many good characters in Shu to add before him. A why not character.

Personal desire:
1.Wang Ping (1 card): A great one, a must have. But there’s a crowd of characters (especially all the Guan’s sons, friends, girlfriends) before Wuzhang Plains. So maybe an extent of his life span to latter Shu could be a good idea :idea: (especially because there are very few good Shu officers in the end).
2. Mi Fang (1 card): Ahhh ! Mi Fang. One of my favorites. The only officer renowned in Three Kingdoms for his deeds (Cf. Rafe De Crespigny :!: ). He served Wei in a very good position, quit everything for a wandering Liu Bei, and began to be one of his assistants. Surrounded and captured by Wu, he didn’t gave up to a lazy work, made greats facts under He Qi and was enough appreciated to have the scholars of the Court of Wu renamed him in their chronicles. This is the character who can tell us what is the true meaning of loyauty ! A must-add for me !! (But Sun Qian, Jian Yong and Mi Zhu could work, but to my sens, less that the good Mi Fang). The editor can have reluctance to add him because he is the brother-in-law of Liu Bei (brother of another wife of Liu Bei, and not Sun Shang Xiang! So shocked !!!) and that it could globally be seen as a weakling (thought for me absolutely not).
3. Zhang Yi (1 card): Adding him is adding the post-Wuzhang gap missing in the story. So I say yes ! Plus, he is there till the end. An opponent for Wei, Jin and even Shu with Jiang Wei! I’m rooting for it !!! (But the Blast design made him a girl. :shock: Why ???)
4. Meng Da (No card): Because he’s Shu, no… he’s Wei… Wait! He’s Shu!!! :lol: The good relation to Fa Zheng and Cao Pi, the opposition with Sima Yi and the alliance with Zhuge Liang. I’m eager to see that !
5. Ma Su (1 card): A single shot, who can give it a shot, and really work. Jieting is a big moment of the story. It has to be illustrated by his main character. Will he be add ? That’s a very good question. Because Zhuge Liang will have a bad image after his end.
6. Liu Feng (No card): The faithful son eclipsed by the fool filled son. Not my favorite, but the drama storytelling could work.

Wei

Likely- Wen Pin (2 cards): Good officer. Good add. Appearing in a crowd of officers, so… A why not for me. But I really prefer Cao Hong (see below).

Cao Shuang (2 card): I am very surprised and astonished. First: He did appears in Wei and not in Jin. Second: Why is he here before his more deserving father Cao Zhen ? Three: Which officers will he have?? I am glad that they decide to fill a gap in the end of Wei but he appears to be alone. A very strange add for me, who can work as a political if Cao Rui will be add just before him in the timeline.

Personal desire:
1.Cao Zhen (1 card): I like him so much. A crucial warrior who oppose the evil face of the strategists. I like the funny quarrels he had with Sima Yi in the book, the fact he want to be well seen by his lord Cao Rui, that he claims to be always the faithful and capable general of Cao Pi, a mix between Gan Ning and Huang Zhong ;). I can see him like: “What is strategy? Attack with full forces!!!!” or “I hate strategists. Can you see me now ?” Low chance of appearance because of the opposition of Zhuge Liang and Sima Yi, but hey KOEI ! Made it a tripartite way !! This is the Three Kingdoms after all. Add him, but not with his Blast design (a switch between Cao Zhen and Cao Shuang designs will truly work; the lazy one is the son :? ).
2. Cao Hong (1 card): Thought the storytellers of the games didn’t like him because of his numerous defeats and draws, I like him. What is my feeling about him, thought? You know, some scholars says: ‘Some battles you win, and some battles you lose.’ A perfect saying for Cao Hong, the lively faithful companion. Losers and winners are part of the same game, so let’s add him for a while ! This is turmoil after all. :o
3. Cao Rui (0 card): The King is dead, long live the King. In Kingdoms with no King (The Three Kingdoms), Cao Rui will be the one to be, just to fill the gap between Cao Pi and Cao Shuang. The future of Cao Pi and the past of Cao Shuang if you prefers. Lately, the serie of games seem to prefer to give a better life span to Cao Pi better than add Cao Rui. Not a good idea I guess, so… Reinforcement for Wei please. :D
4. Cheng Yu (0 card): The missing stone of the puzzle. He’s the last main strategist of Cao Cao to had not being add by the series. No card, but strangely, I am sure they will add him… someday. In any case, I prefer him to the invisible Xun You, due to the particular relation he had with his lord (who participate in giving him his name anyway; that is a very strong detail for the story).
5. Zang Ba (3 card): Like he is in the ‘Others’ Faction, I am not afraid about his future in the games.
6. Hao Zhao (0 card): Like Zhou Fang and Ma Su, he’s a one shot story who could work.
7. Wang Shuang (0 card): A single shot too. To be a unique powerful opponent for the Shu pre-Wuzhang story.
8. Zhu Ling (1 card): Why ? He’s there, on the battlefield, who know why ? A low add with poor story, we just know he’s hated by Cao Cao (why ?), but I sense they can make him someone better he was (I am stopping saying it).

Jin

Likely- None ??? All Jin characters had one card, so maybe the faction will have no add. :roll:

Personal Desire:
1.Wen Qin (1 card): To reunite the father and the son, and to make true the scene of the missed rendezvous with him. Plus, the story is told like ‘The Rebellion of Guanqiu Jian and Wen Qin’. It will have no sense if none of them appears as playable characters. :shock:
2. Chen Tai (0 card): The other side of Deng Ai and the favorite Jin officer of the fans. But alas, he had no card, which means very low chance of appearing (thought I don’t know really why).
3. Guanqiu Jian (1 card): Same reason as Wen Qin. A good general for Cao Rui as well. Note that, like Wen Qin, he is categorized in Wei.
4. Yang Hu (1 card): For a better end.
5. Du Yu (1 card): Same as Yang Hu.
6. Deng Zhong (0 card): Same as Chen Tai.
7. Sima Yan (0 card): And the winner is… (music of suspense). No card thought. The end is not near. :?
8. Jia Nanfeng (1 card): For the beginning of a new story, called ‘Romance of the Darkest Jin’ (a bloody story of 120 chapters as well :devil: ).

Others

Likely- Zang Ba (3 cards): Unfortunately, he is in the ‘Others’ category, so they like to add a string to the bow of the mighty Lü Bu without telling about his service under Cao Cao and his detestation by Cao Pi, so maybe later I guess. I can’t tell if it is a good idea since I really like him, but the Lü Bu faction became really unbalanced (they are already 5 members !) towards the other ones, like Yuan Shao’s for example. That said, I don’t really root for a Gao Shun add.

Shuijing (3 cards): Mirror of water, Master of Zhuge Liang. They add Xu Shu (the guy the only purpose in the story is to indicate where to find a good [tavern] strategist) so, it’s not really a surprise, but what can they tell about him… There are so much overlords to add before him !

Fan Yufeng (2 cards): I’m not at all a first fan of weifu, but (sigh) I can understand… :roll:

Ji Ling (2 card): At least, I can say. Yuan Shu neads his Ji Ling after all. A very good add in the storytelling (could he defend his master till the end ?).

Yan Baihu (2 cards): An opponent for Sun Ce. Good idea I guess, but prefer the more interesting Liu Yao.

Personal Desire:
1.Gongsun Zan (0 card): The one and unique! I have got three regrets in my life. First: I am telling every day that if William Shakespeare had known the life of that fantastic, wonderful character, he would create the best Dramatic masterpiece of the world. Two: That he can be more popular than ever due to number one. Three: That he would have appeared in the second or the third Dynasty Warrior game due to number one and two. :D
A scholar, who became a warrior, who became a warlord, who became a friend to a future Emperor, who wants to let something behind him to the World, opposed fierced opponent (Qiuliju, Liu Yu, Yuan Shao) and became allied with bandits (Zhang Yan) to destroy them. The White cavalry, the higher tower, the mighty citadel… and this end. This end ! He is the Sun Jian in the North. You understand now where my pseudo came from: the very best ! No card in Blast, thought… No comment. :roll:
2. Yuan Shang (0 card): The continuation of Yuan Shao story. We need him !
3. Yuan Tan (0 card): Same reason as Yuan Shang. A top general for his father as well.
4. Li Jue (1 card): There, I am very frightened. Because that characters can do the bad like the worst. Part of the story, so he might be add, but please don’t add the caricatured Blast design. :rangry:
5. Guo Si (1 card): The sidekick opposite brother in arm of Li Jue. Disgusting as well in Blast. :rangry:
6. Ma Teng (1 card): A good add to the Ma Chao story.
7. Han Sui (1 card): A good add to the Ma Teng story.
8. Chunyu Qiong (0 card): A top commander of Yuan Shao fallen in disgrace by History and though by the book. It could be shocking, but I prefer him added than a Yan Liang or a Wen Chou, that the only purpose in life is to be severely beaten by Guan Yu (we had understood he’s strong – “Hua Xiong ? Where are you to tell he is strong ?”, and his family too is so strong, and his beard, do I tell you about the strength of his beard ? Don’t push the point to far please, Mr KOEI !).
9. Wen Chou (1 card): Him for Yuan Shao, or just his blast design for Chunyu Qiong. :twisted:
10. Yan Liang (1 card): If there is no one else to add.

If I can have only half of the warriors listed, I will be happy (the other half will be waifu, I know, I know...). My list is driven by one thing: to have a good storytelling for the future.

What do you think of my wishlist ? Which characters you would change ? What are your personal hopes ? If you guess I am wrong somewhere, tell me why. :)
I have open-mind till it can reunite our Three Kingdoms (passions). :wink:
Last edited by Gongsun Z. on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gongsun Z.
Tyro

Re: Dynasty Warriors 10 - Characters

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:26 am

Thought I would use Gongsun Z's post from DW9 Characters to create a DW 10 Characters one wants thread
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Dynasty Warriors 10 Characters Wishlist

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:54 am

Wu

For Wu, the person I’d most like is Lu Fan. I’d also like a totally left field option like Xu Kun or Sun Gao who could have a fun battle mode contesting the succession after Sun Ce’s death. I know that second choice is never going to happen as neither are mentioned in the novel.

A blood crazed and malevolent Pan Zheng or Zhu Huan would be good in my opinion. Basically the character Gan Ning should be. Especially if it highlights how indulgent Sun Quan was towards evil people.

Shu

I’d rather not have Liao Hua. The best thing about him would be to have another character in the Yellow Turban campaign battle. However, the last thing this game needs is another Guan Yu worshipping character. If they cut a few of his children or Zhou Cang I’d be up for him being added – I actually think he could have been better than any of the other Guan Yu related characters, but at this point the same is well and truly saturated in my opinion.

I do agree with you however on Mi Fang, Liu Feng and Wang Ping. Out of interest what did you mean by:
Mi Fang: The only officer renowned in Three Kingdoms for his deads

Wei

Zang Ba is my must add for Wei. I just think he is such a fascinating figure. I’d also like to see Zhang Xiu. The one general who beat Cao Cao repeatedly before going on to serve him with great credit. I think they’d be the two best adds for Wei. I’d also be happy with Wei Pin. Again strengthening the Liu Biao faction while providing a solid character for Wei later on.

I don’t care about Jin… Not exactly true, but I don’t know enough about the later period to have an opinion on who should be added. Except for Chen Tai. I only know he should be on the game because DaoLun won’t shut up about it.

Other

I agree about Gongun Zan. I’d love to see what they do with him, but I’d imagine that due to his connection with Liu Bei they’ll whitewash him and take out all of his questionable qualities. Also, if they add Wen Chou and Yan Liang before adding the Yuan children I’ll finally give up on this series. Anyone else want to speculate on the odds we get Zheng Jiang?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:41 pm

Wei:
Cao Shuang: He's the best. 10 years of reform and trying to save his state from the vile gentry corruption. One of the most important men of the era. The fact that he's a damn NPC is criminal.
He Yan: Ties to SEVERAL people in game currently like Sima Shi, Zhong Hui, Zhuge Dan, Jia Chong, Cao Pi, Cao Cao. Hugely influential minister, and an incredibly fascinating man. I love him.
(I hate classifying him as Jin, KOEI is moronic) Chen Tai: Son of one of Wei's greatest ministers, an incredible intellectual and one of the most impressive military men of the era. Able to a great defeat into an incredible victory without seeing combat. Has ties to the Cao and Sima which one can exploit to really draw on the feud that took place during Later Wei.
Guanqiu Jian: Veteran Cao partisan, participated in the campaign against Gongsun Yuan twice, Goguryeo, Wu campaigns, defended Wei from them and lead his own failed revolt. If he had only held out a few more days Sima Shi would've died...

Sun Fin wrote:I don’t care about Jin… Not exactly true, but I don’t know enough about the later period to have an opinion on who should be added. Except for Chen Tai. I only know he should be on the game because DaoLun won’t shut up about it.

-Fortunate Son begins to play- :rangry:

Jin
Xun Xu: Grandson of Xun Yu, same-age nephew as Zhong Hui, intimate adviser to Sima Zhao, friend of Jia Chong, former Cao partisan. Had a stellar but morally lacking career in Wei and Jin.
Zhang Hua: Minister of Wei and Jin, son-in-law of Liu Fang a Sima Yi partisan. A Xun Yu of the later era, a man of extremely high morals and talent. He was single handedly responsible for handling the logistics of the Wu Conquest in 280, which remarkably had no reported issues due to supplies unlike the Shu Conquest, and yes this was a shot at Jia Chong. He's terrible. Jia Chong also wanted to cut him in half. This shit writes itself.
Yang Hu: Obligatory. One of Western Jin's most respected men and generals. Close ties to Sima Zhao, Zhong Hui, Xin Xianying (She raised the damn guy), etc. etc. etc. Known for his friendship with Lu Kang of Wu, according to the Jinshu he had an incredibly impressive military career.
Hu Lie: Veteran of Zhuge Dan's Rebellion, the Conquest of Shu, killing Zhong Hui, fighting Wu and dying at the hands of Shujineng. Hu Lie was one of a kind. His whole family was. ADD THEM ALL!

Wu
Shi Ji: Son of the famous Shi Ran, known for supressing bandits, steering clear of the terrible SUN QUAN'S OWN FAULT Crown Prince Affair, participated in many battles between Wu and Wei, and Wu and Jin, even having a one on one against Hu Lie. A spectacular hooman.
Lu Ju: Lu Fan's even cooler son. Supremely talented man who even Sun Quan couldn't misuse, which is crazy because Sun Quan is literally the worst Emperor of all time. So that says something about Lu Ju's ability! He fought along side Shi Ran and Zhu Yi many times and earned renown in every battle. When the remarkably incompetent Sun Jun died and even more remarkably incompetent Sun Chen took over, Lu Ju joined with various commanders to place Zhuge Ke's former ally Teng Yin in his place. However the plot was discovered and and Lu Ju was killed by his own hand rather than fleeing to an enemy state. "I would be disgraced to be a rebel minister!"
Zhu Yi: Wu's finest. Fight me. Son of the literally insane Zhu Huan. He was noted for his renown when serving under Shi Ran at Fan Castle in 241, serving in the vanguard, annhilitating Wen Qin's forces with only a handful of soldiers, decimating Hu Zun and Zhuge Dan at Lake Chao as well. During Sun Chen's abortion of a campaign to aid Zhuge Dan's rebellion, Hu Lie destroyed Zhu Yi's supply lines and Zhu Yi told Sun Chen that his men couldn't fight for a lost cause, particularly without food. So rationally Sun Chen had him summoned to his tent and had other people beat him to death.
Zhuge Ke: When Sun Quan ruined Wu and drove it into economic despair it was THIS man who saved it. The common people adored him. The Shanyue surrendered without a fight and became the best fighting force in Wu. Lake Chao became his victory when he destroyed Sima Zhao. It all came crashing down at Xincheng when disease ravaged his forces and Zhang Te put up one hell of a defense. Sun Jun eventually killed him and doomed Wu.

Others
Shujineng: Leader of the Tufa Xianbei that raided Jin for 10 years, preventing them from attacking Wu. Killed the famous Hu Lie, fought Wen Yang and ultimately died in battle against Ma Long. Why include Wen Yang if you aren't including Shujineng?
Gongsun Yuan: THE KING OF YAN BAYBAY!!!!!!!!!!! Founded the very short lived State of Yan out of the long lasting foundation started by his grandfather Du. Had two wars with Wei, one of which he won mind you.
Bei Yan: General of THE KING OF YAN BAYBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lead the defenses at the LIaoshui and defeated Guanqiu Jian. Further battle Hu Zun there, and attempted to intercept Sima Yi but was killed in battle.
King Weigong: Goguryeo King that thought it was wise to raid Wei. Guanqiu Jian chased him around Korea for awhile.
Lady Triue: Vietnamese woman of legend who rose up against the villain in the south known as Sun "Ling Tong stop hating the man who killed your father while I am busying hating the man that killed my father" Quan in 240 in Jiaozhou. If we can get shit one-off characters with no effect on the Three Kingdoms like Zuo Ci and Zhang Jue, we can get her.

Shu
Liu Yin: Veteran General of Liu Bei and Shan's armies, noted for his bravery and earning merit in every campaign. He was the only general in Hanzhong to hold out against Zhong Hui.
Zhang Ni: What historical Zhao Yun wishes he was. Saved a magistrate's family while they were being attacked by vile bandits. Suppressed the south so much they came to adore him and built temples to honor him. Close friend of Liu Shan. Died fighting in the north after pleading with his friendly Emperor to allow him to due so while suffering from a crippling illness.
Zhang Yi (Bogong): Antagonist to Jiang Wei and all around great guy. Served as Jiang Wei's #2 for most of his career despite opposing his terrible campaigns. Earned Shu their greatest victory at Gu Pass, died during Zhong Hui's revolt.
Xu Shulong: He moved to Yizhou from Runan and became well respected. Shu is a meme faction and they deserve another meme add.
"To triumph without fighting is the greatest enterprise of the sovereign. Better to capture a state intact than to wreck it; better to capture an army complete than to destroy it. These are the principles of warfare."
— Zhong Hui
DaoLunOfShiji
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:50 pm

1. Zhuge Jin (1 card): Wei got 5 strategists, Shu had 3, Jin had 2 and even Others had one. Why Wu had NO strategists?? :rangry: Like they say in DW4: ‘Impressive! WU do not require strategists?’ :lol: (Yu Fan, Zhang Zhao or Gu Yong could even work )

I think koei tends to think of it's Cic's like Zhou Yu, Lu Meng, Lu Xun as strategists

Wu

Sun Luban, excellent choice, we could do with more political female player, she could potentially offer something diffirent and a key latter Wu figure

Wu Guotai, DW doesn't tend to have mothers outside of Jin, she was a major force of personality and important in Wu so I would really like her in it.

Zhuge Ke, the blazing star that blazes out angle, well connected, big personality, latter era figure, his death shows the state of Wu

Sun Hao: Latter Wu needs an Emperor. They could do something different, the talented figure and wit traumatised by his youth and desperately trying to reverse the decline and falls out with others as he tries to do so,

Lu Kang: Lu Xun might need to be aged up but major latter Wu commander, long life, tensions with Sun Hao

Pan Zhang: Wu needs at least one psychopath and DW is not going to make it Gan Ning

Daolun has some excellent late Wu adds though that I would be happy to see but not enough to add to the list that already feels too large

Shu:

Liao Hua: I get Sun Fin's concerns and dearie me we could do a game without anyone connected to Guan Yu for a time but his long life, Turban connection from novel, the "not as great as his rank angle"

Wang Ping: His illiteracy but clever mind could make a good example, how he still went on to have such a strong career, has big battles and deeds.

Zhang Yi: Good post Wu-Zhang generals, provides a miliatry figure to oppose Jiang Wei and Shu a miliatry tactician

Zhang Ni: Such a moving goodbye and very good career

Liu Feng: Decent lifespan, well connected, perhaps lacks some deeds but a tragic (if necessary) end. I just don't seem them doing it

Wei:

Cao Rui: I suspect they will more expand Cao Pi's life given Rui's lack of battles but he was an intresting and complex figure

Zang Ba: Could offer something different with his past

A personal one but Rui's wife Guo: The political player who kept Wei in the game despite being in a difficult situation, a clever figure made Empress in Rui's dying days. Would provide a Wei figure to act as a counter-weight and show Wei's side during the Sima's rise

Jin:

Chen Tai (or Wei, much prefer Wei): Great general and provides Wei a much needed loyalist

Yang Hu: For role against Wu, well connected in Jin and with Lu Kang

Guanqiu Jian: Highly experienced general, plenty of battles and Wei needs more loyalists

Other:

Depends what their focus is. If expanding Yuan Shao, Yuan Tan and Yuan Shang along with figures like Shen Pei would be really good adds given their post Shao life, established personalities and abilities (Tan another bright young thing who burnt out). If Dong Zhuo then Li Jue (particularly) and Guo Si would seem very good adds given the big expansion that provides for likes of Jia Xu and opening up the capital region infighting

Shujineng would be a good hint at what is to come but I suspect it will be an early era figure
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Gongsun Z. » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:07 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
‘For Wu, the person I’d most like is Lu Fan. I’d also like a totally left field option like Xu Kun or Sun Gao who could have a fun battle mode contesting the succession after Sun Ce’s death.’

Lü Fan is one the most interesting add for Wu, and just like you, I like Xu Kun and think he can really have a good story. A Sun Ce faction with a more developed conquest of Jiangdong can be really cool though, maybe with Liu Yao as regular opponent.
I didn’t really know about Sun Gao. Maybe I heard about him, but honestly, I didn't remember. For my defense, there are way too many branches in the Sun family ! We can call him a big forgotten of the Three Kingdoms. :lol:
I checked informations about him though. We learn every day about a new challenger, and that, I might add, is a true pleasure. Thanks.

I do agree with you however on Mi Fang, Liu Feng and Wang Ping. Out of interest what did you mean by:
Mi Fang: The only officer renowned in Three Kingdoms for his deads

That’s a typo. The correct word is ‘deeds’. I just corrected that.
That was a double reference. The first one is in DW5, where a bodyguard want to join you, a scholar tell: ‘he is an officer renowned in (one, two or three) kingdoms’. The second one is a sentence who hit me in the Biographical Dictionary of Later Han to the Three Kingdoms, about Mi Fang: ‘We may note that Mi Fang had the remarkable record of serving each of the Rival Three Kingdoms. P.671.’

I only know he should be on the game because DaoLun won’t shut up about it.

There, I laughed. :D

With your personal desires, I guess what is the favorite part of the story, Daolun ! Searching a while in the forum, I guess you are a specialist of the Post-Wuzhang era, maybe even Jin related stories. Tell me if I am wrong.

Chen Tai: One of the favorite’s. Nevertheless, I don’t understand why he didn’t have his card on Dynasty Warriors Blast. :? Despite his popularity, KOEI seems to put him aside. Did someone have a clue about it ?

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:
Guanqiu Jian: Veteran Cao partisan.

Yes ! We need him to do a proper storytelling.

Gongsun Yuan: THE KING OF YAN BAYBAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Your enthousiasm about him is contagious. :)

Zhu Yi: Wu's finest. Fight me.

I’m very curious to know if they will add him, because he has done more in reality than in the book. I think he can be add as an interesting character; like the son who got better than his father.

Liu Yin: Veteran General of Liu Bei and Shan's armies.

I didn’t know about him, but when I tried to go on his card on Kongming.net for more information, it didn’t work and drove me to the main menu. It is a guess but maybe someone tries to modify it and it can’t be accessible for a moment. It happened to me once when I wanted to access the card of Lady Zhenji. I can reach it two days after my first tentative.

Dong Zhou wrote:
I think koei tends to think of it's Cic's like Zhou Yu, Lu Meng, Lu Xun as strategists

There, I guess you're right. They are strategists, but only in the book, so we can assess that all the adds will be based on it (except for He Qi, who is the big missing one of the book, but however, he have its card on DW Blast).

Daolun has some excellent late Wu adds though that I would be happy to see but not enough to add to the list that already feels too large.

Wu is clearly underrated by KOEI. Less characters, but more obvious carriers than Shu (especially with the latter additions). And Wei is a croud of strategists now. I assume each kingdoms has his flaws.

Jin:
Chen Tai (or Wei, much prefer Wei)

I always wondered how a character is Wei or Jin related, in KOEI point of view. Is it towards some point of the story (like the rise of the Sima Clan) or their affinity/loyauty towards who they serves ?
For example, I guess Guo Huai is Wei in the Jin story, so added in Jin. We have also Xiahou Ba, who is Wei/Shu in the Jin story. Added in Jin. But they clearly class Cao Shuang, He Yan, Guanqiu Jian and Wen Qin as Wei in the Wei faction, so now… I’m totally lost with their classification. :lol:
Gongsun Z.
Tyro

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:26 pm

Gongsun Z. wrote:
I only know he should be on the game because DaoLun won’t shut up about it.

There, I laughed. :D

With your personal desires, I guess what is the favorite part of the story, Daolun ! Searching a while in the forum, I guess you are a specialist of the Post-Wuzhang era, maybe even Jin related stories. Tell me if I am wrong.

I like to think of myself as a hero of the downtrodden. A bacon in the fridge for all living things that cry out in hunger. The light bulb in the darkness that shines on the heroes of the Later Era that national villains like Sun Fin overlook! :mrgreen: The later era has always been my passion. Zhong Hui is handsdown my favorite historical figure of all time, and I have a real passion for the Zhengshi Era of Wei, 239-249.

Gongsun Z. wrote:Chen Tai: One of the favorite’s. Nevertheless, I don’t understand why he didn’t have his card on Dynasty Warriors Blast. :? Despite his popularity, KOEI seems to put him aside. Did someone have a clue about it ?

Truthfully I believe KOEI does it to spite me.

Gongsun Z. wrote:
Gongsun Yuan: THE KING OF YAN BAYBAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Your enthousiasm about him is contagious. :)

I love this guy like you wouldn't believe. He is a political mastermind that defeated Wei twice! He's often summarized purely by his loss to Sima Yi which is sad.

Gongsun Z. wrote:
Liu Yin: Veteran General of Liu Bei and Shan's armies.

I didn’t know about him, but when I tried to go on his card on Kongming.net for more information, it didn’t work and drove me to the main menu. It is a guess but maybe someone tries to modify it and it can’t be accessible for a moment. It happened to me once when I wanted to access the card of Lady Zhenji. I can reach it two days after my first tentative.

Liu Yin is a man who doesn't appear in the SGZ, but instead in the Huayang Guo Zhi. His biography has been translated here: https://fuyonggu.tumblr.com/post/170408 ... ang-guozhi
"To triumph without fighting is the greatest enterprise of the sovereign. Better to capture a state intact than to wreck it; better to capture an army complete than to destroy it. These are the principles of warfare."
— Zhong Hui
DaoLunOfShiji
Langzhong

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:06 am

Gongsun Z. wrote:
Lü Fan is one the most interesting add for Wu, and just like you, I like Xu Kun and think he can really have a good story. A Sun Ce faction with a more developed conquest of Jiangdong can be really cool though, maybe with Liu Yao as regular opponent.

I mean, this is basically exactly what I want. A fleshed out Sun Ce storyline. If Liu Xun was added than we could have Sun Ce's animosity with Yuan Shu explored more too.

Gongsun Z. wrote:I didn’t really know about Sun Gao. Maybe I heard about him, but honestly, I didn't remember. For my defense, there are way too many branches in the Sun family ! We can call him a big forgotten of the Three Kingdoms. :lol:
I checked informations about him though. We learn every day about a new challenger, and that, I might add, is a true pleasure. Thanks.

He is the only significant Sun to not have a SGZ. Sun Quan tried hard to expunge him from history.

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:
I like to think of myself as a hero of the downtrodden. A bacon in the fridge for all living things that cry out in hunger. The light bulb in the darkness that shines on the heroes of the Later Era that national villains like Sun Fin overlook! :mrgreen: The later era has always been my passion. Zhong Hui is handsdown my favorite historical figure of all time, and I have a real passion for the Zhengshi Era of Wei, 239-249.

Gongsun Z. wrote:Chen Tai: One of the favorite’s. Nevertheless, I don’t understand why he didn’t have his card on Dynasty Warriors Blast. :? Despite his popularity, KOEI seems to put him aside. Did someone have a clue about it ?

Truthfully I believe KOEI does it to spite me.

Or maybe it's because the late period sucks and Sun Ce just needs more attention?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:50 pm

You rearing to give 1776 another go Sun Fin? Because thems fightin' words! :rangry:
— Zhong Hui
DaoLunOfShiji
Langzhong

Unread postby Jordan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:50 pm

I think the time has come to end this series, unless they plan to drastically remake the gameplay and philosophy behind it. There's only so many times they can tell almost the exact same story with 90% of the exact same characters and the same tired, repetitive gameplay. DW9 was a breaking point as it really backfired and flopped hard, similar to DW6. Sales in the West for DW have been declining for years. It's possible the robust and growing China market can still carry it, but I'm not optimistic.

With my viewpoint in mind, the characters I want are the characters that would tie up all the loose ends the series still has (which are very few). These characters would be designed for maximum impact in the sense that they would fill a niche no other character currently fills. No more garbage roster fillers like Zhang Bao or Hua Xiong. The characters I choose would be focused on filling out the Late-Han civil war story and the Jin vs. Wu story, which are the two aspects of the DW stories which have been least probed thus far.

=================================

Gongsun Zan: A notable warrior historically and somewhat in the novel, Gongsun Zan helps flesh out Yuan Shao's story by giving Yuan Shao something of a foil. His interactions would primarily involve Liu Bei and Yuan Shao, and a personal story could portray him in a variety of ways, but most likely would depend upon a negative evolution of his character (i.e. lapsing into paranoia, isolation and alienation as his forces are gradually wittled down). Hypothetical routes for him could involve joining up with his friend Liu Bei in a reversal of fortune for both factions in the far North. Gongsun Zan's omission in Dynasty Warriors has been obvious for quite some time, only rivaled (until DW9) by the lack of Yuan Shu.

Lady Liu: Yuan Shao's wife was violent, jealous, manipulative and power mongering. This makes for an interesting femme fatale or Dragon Lady archetype that up until now Dynasty Warriors has never attempted to portray (Zhen Ji comes the closest, but has been softened up ever since the inclusion of Cao Pi). Historically, Lady Liu killed several of Yuan Shao's concubines. She also favored Yuan Shang and played some role in the succession; this is exaggerated in the novel to the point where her will completely dominates Yuan Shao's court as Yuan Shao is dying, and she essentially forces him and his closest courtiers to name Shang as heir. She also was with Zhen Ji when Cao Cao conquered Ye. She introduced Zhen Ji to Cao Pi, and this can give her an added role within the game. Lady Liu fills a really useful niche in the game as she survives past Yuan Shao's death. Because her own death is also uncertain, it's possible to extend her role in the game to even events past the defeat of the Yuan family.

Zhuge Ke: Zhuge Ke is probably tied with Wen Qin as the most important NPC in the Jin storyline up until this point. He played a major role in Wu for a time before losing power. The novel also features some incredibly supernatural shit regarding Zhuge Ke's death which is often glossed over. People tend to remember Guan Yu's revival from the dead, but not Zhuge Ke's.

"While Zhuge Ke was absent in the palace, his wife sat in the women's quarters at home feeling strangely unquiet. Presently a maid came in and, when she drew near, his wife said, "Why does your clothing smell of blood?" To her horror the maid suddenly transformed into a weird creature with rolling eyes and gritting teeth, that went dancing about the room and leaping till it touched the roof-beams, shrieking all the time, "I am Zhuge Ke, and I have been slain by that bastard Sun Jun!"

I have personally headcanoned into a way to make Zhuge Ke stand out using this description. In my opinion, Zhuge Ke could have some kind of demonic stand that appears behind him and factors into his moveset, with an appearance similar to the one described above. The demon of sorts can be controlled by Zhuge Ke, but after Ke's death it can be released to cause continued havoc, allowing a zombie Ke in theory to play a role after his death. But even if they don't go this route, which is admittedly an unlikely route anyways, Ke already plays a significant role in the Jin story, defeating Jin at Dongxing before losing just barely at a major siege of Hefei.

Lu Kang/Sun Hao: If they are going to extend the Jin storyline into Jin vs. Wu, one or both of these characters are a necessity as foils to Jin in the final acts of the story. They can extend Lu Kang's lifespan so that he appears in the final battles imo. There are no other decent Wu generals at that time with the exception of Tao Huang, who is too obscure for KOEI to bother with.

My headcanon for Sun Hao is that he can be competent, but extremely apathetic and sociopathic, casually ordering the deaths of incompetent ministers, paying no heed to his people and always appearing bored at the prospect of fulfilling his duties as a ruler, even though he has the skills to rule well when he tries. They did a good job making a nuanced Liu Shan. I'm sure they can find a way to make Sun Hao more interesting than a simple "bad last ruler trope."

Other possibilities:

-Yuan Tan/Yuan Shang, who are also good characters to extend the Yuan story past Shao's death.

-Zhiyuanduo or Trieu Au. KOEI can take the exaggerated approach Creative Assembly used with "Zheng Jiang" and leapfrog them with another footnote female character that can be easily turned into a more important one with some creative license.

-Zheng Jiang or Zheng and Jiang. It is unclear if this character is one character or two historically. KOEI could make them into either two characters or a single playable character who appears on screen as two people who tag team with each other.

-Sima Yan/Du Yu. It makes sense to expand upon the Jin roster for its final epic battle with Wu.

-Wang Ping and Liao Hua were both significant Late Shu-Han commanders if they really have to expand that roster. My preference is Wang Ping as I think he was a more respectable Shu general.

-He Yan. My preference for a new Wei character is He Yan despite his lack of military achievement. He Yan serves as an interesting Late-Wei character personality wise who can serve as a foil in the Jin storyline. There's plenty of material to make him into an arrogant and brilliant, yet ultimately deeply flawed character. This is what he was historically in my opinion. He also has a lot of interesting potential interactions with characters such as Cao Pi.

-Somebody from Liu Zhang's faction could work in order to flesh out the conquest of Yizhou to some extent. Zhang Lu is another possible option, and an interesting character in his own right, though I feel he ultimately is a bit peripheral.

-They have interesting ideas for portrayals of minor warlord figures like Li Jue and Yan Baihu in DW: Blast, which could be worth including as either special NPCs or potential expansion/DLC content.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training