Dynasty Warriors 9 - Characters

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 - Characters

Unread postby DragonAtma » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:33 am

Assuming you mean Empress Cao Jie (and not Cao Jie the eunuch, who died in 181), (1) she was Cao Cao's daughter, and (2) when she married Emperor Xian in 213 the Han dynasty was already quite powerless.

Better to go with Huangfu Song or Zhu Jun; Wang Yun would also be an idea. Even Xun You plotted with Zheng Tai, He Yong, and others to assassinate Dong Zhuo, and he of course gained fame as one of Cao Cao's best advisors.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Well yes, of course it was powerless by the time she took the throne. But she never gave up on the Han. I could see DW creating a battle out of the Han Succession easily with Cao Jie and the Emperor as the commanders of the enemy side against Cao Pi's retinue. She seems to truly believe that Cao Cao wanted to preserve the Han, otherwise she would not have reacted in such a manner when it came time to give up the Imperial Seal.

I do agree that Huangfu Song would be a great choice. I've said it several times that Huangfu Song could represent when the "ideals of honor are taken to the extreme" Huangfu Song had ample chance to use his reputation as Hero of the Realm to quell the ensuing chaos, but he never used his influence and only followed orders given as he felt that was the best way to preserve his honor.
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:13 am

Dong Zhou wrote:
Dong Bai: Eh. Given koei will add female to every faction, she seems the best choice for Dong's add, I like her blast design, being granddaughter would be different and we lack an evil lady. Just not excited by it

I really like her Blast design too, and as for an "evil lady" Do you think Jia Nanfeng could work? I mean her character in Blast looks pretty evil, and Jin could use more officers I think, but maybe she comes along too late to be any use? I'm not really too familiar with her.
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:20 am

I just want a bunch of "Other" characters. I feel like that's the area of the story that needs to be fleshed out the most. Jin could use some more antagonists and campaigns as well, but it does not make much sense to me to do that first. They might as well save the Jin stuff for later.

The major "other" characters I want are:

-Lady Liu: A jealous and violent woman who married Yuan Shao. She killed several of his concubines and burned their faces. She favored Yuan Shang as successor and may have been decisive in installing him as the official heir after Yuan Shao's death. She also introduced Zhen Ji to Cao Pi. There's plenty of material that KOEI has to work with there. They could make her a yandere or simply a petty, haughty woman. She could even be a crazed assassin type of character.

Lady Liu also benefits from longevity in the story. She outlives Yuan Shao and so can represent an opponent of "Wei" after Shao's death. She even outlives Yuan Shao's successors and could theoretically have a brief role in the Wei story after everything involving her clan is finished. At the moment I think she is the most solid "Other" character they can add to the game.

-Yuan Shu: Because he relates to every major faction's story except Jin's and Nanman's. Also they could easily make a whole story mode for him of his own. In my opinion he's the second best choice for an "Other" character and popularity wise, I wouldn't be surprised if he's #1.

-Huang Zu: I feel like early Wu is inundated with characters but lacks a central villain. Cao Cao has Yuan Shao to fight before the story becomes more 3k centric. Shu-Han has the Nanman a bit later, and also tends to fight Lü Bu a lot. Since Wu feels like it needs more for its early story, I think that Huang Zu is a good character to add for that. He has an interesting personality historically and in the novel. He's described as quick to anger and senile. The battles that the Sun family had with Huang Zu were intense. Sun Jian died in battle against his forces, creating a good revenge plot for his heirs. The Sun family also lost Ling Cao and I believe one other major officer while fighting against Huang Zu's forces. It's not well known, but Sun Ce also fought against Huang Zu before Sun Quan.

Also his Blast design is just great.

There are some more I want, but those are the big three. I feel that each of them would serve a purpose in expanding the game's story and scope.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Iain wrote:How about He Jin, do the leader iike better than wandering into a room full of deadly Eunuchs and losing his head, maybe restore the Empire to greatness with trusted generals like Dong Zhou too? ^^

Dies too early and pretty much a poltician despite the rank. I do prefer figures like Huangfu Song, Wang Yun, Cao Jie (provides Han a vocal voice at a time where Xian has perhaps given up)
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby ivolga » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:45 pm

I hope Koei will add playable Yuan Shao fraction to the game, just like Lu Bu's fraction was added in DW8.
And I'd love to see Lu Bu's fraction expanded: Gao Shun!

Yuan Shu deserves to become a non-generic NPC at least.

Also I want Xun You! For no practical/logical/gameplay-related reason at all: I just like this historical figure. I know there is no chance Koei ever adds him. (Unless Koei makes him a well-endowed female twin of Xun Yu, or smth crazy like this. But Xun Yu was already female in Kessen 2, so... :mrgreen: )

But my biggest wish for DW9 is that Koei stops treating certain characters as clowns (Dong Zhuo and Yuan Shao especially) and gives at last a sliver of personality to Xu Huang, Guan Ping and some others.
ivolga
Apprentice

Unread postby lorindir » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:10 am

ivolga wrote:I hope Koei will add playable Yuan Shao fraction to the game

That would be great! But there are some troubles in the way.
Yuan Shao personality was almost destroyed by the recents DW (until DW5 it was ok, but from the 6 to now......), he is not a rival to Cao Cao anymore! (not even a decent leader to the battle of Hu Lao Gate).

ivolga wrote:And I'd love to see Lu Bu's fraction expanded: Gao Shun!

Agreed! :idea:
I could say he would be an even more important add than Chen Gong

ivolga wrote:Yuan Shu deserves to become a non-generic NPC at least.

Agreed, his foolishness was very important to almost every single character in the game.

ivolga wrote:But my biggest wish for DW9 is that Koei stops treating certain characters as clowns (Dong Zhuo and Yuan Shao especially) and gives at last a sliver of personality to Xu Huang, Guan Ping and some others.

I think that one thing very simple that they could do in the DW 9 is to make the characters look old as the history advances (instead of putting a lot of different clothes to one same char).
To make Wei great again!
lorindir
Initiate

Unread postby SunXia » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:05 pm

I really want the likes of Sun Luban, because the other ladies are evil in terms of they are fighting for their Empires or Kingdoms, Luban was crazy and corrupt within her own nation!! We often have Jin stories versus the old Wei people we could have levels for her and those loyal to her!! Be a little different from the likes of the early Wu ladies!!

I would also like Lady Mi as I find her story to be quite interesting. She could serve Tao Qian with her brothers. I would actually like a rather traditional bride there like she marries Liu Bei out of duty for her family and protects Liu Shan out of duty in her role. Would love a mixture of women rather than just "oh I love him" and such.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:28 pm

SunXia wrote:I really want the likes of Sun Luban, because the other ladies are evil in terms of they are fighting for their Empires or Kingdoms, Luban was crazy and corrupt within her own nation!! We often have Jin stories versus the old Wei people we could have levels for her and those loyal to her!! Be a little different from the likes of the early Wu ladies!!

I would also like Lady Mi as I find her story to be quite interesting. She could serve Tao Qian with her brothers. I would actually like a rather traditional bride there like she marries Liu Bei out of duty for her family and protects Liu Shan out of duty in her role. Would love a mixture of women rather than just "oh I love him" and such.

Lady Mi is interesting, however it will get in the way of the Liu Bei Sun Shang Xiang love story that Koei seems to like. I don't think western audiences would love to see Liu Bei with two doting wives :-P
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:42 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:Lady Mi is interesting, however it will get in the way of the Liu Bei Sun Shang Xiang love story that Koei seems to like. I don't think western audiences would love to see Liu Bei with two doting wives :-P

I'm not worried what people would like either way if it doesn't match into an ideal. In the end, in the real world, people de and people get divorced and I think representation of that in games or in media is a good thing. It can be two different marriages if they would like but in the end, he got married after Sun Shang Xiang so it happens. Doting wives is not good character development.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training