Dynasty Warriors 9 - Characters

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 - Characters

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:36 pm

My issue with how high you've placed Yang Hu is can he be there without Lu Kang? Later Wu would need fleshing out too?

The ones who stood to me are

Wei:
Bianshi and Zang Ba

Wu
Pan Zhang and He Qi

Others:
Yuan Shu and Gao Shun

As you can see I've gone earlier. That's the area where I'm more knowledgeable, I've picked these figures because I think they are the ones with quirks that could make them interesting characters. In particular I'd love Pan Zhang done how Gan Ning should be - a sadistic, cruel, evil former pirate.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:07 am

Sure, Yang Hu without Lu Kang would... not so much wouldn't work but would be a bad idea. It is just the best add I see of the Jin list bar possibly Chen Tai and I prefer two of the latter Wu ads over Lu Kang.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:33 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Let's all put Cao Hong at bottom :wink: I assume your ok with me posting it here and KW?

Quick answer and will build longer one in days ahead

Wei: Bianshi, Cao Rui, Wen Pin, Cao Jie, Zang Ba, Cao Zhen, Cao Hong, Zhu Ling, Cheng Yu, Xin Pi
Shu: Zhang Yi, Zhang Ni, Wang Ping, Xiahou Ji, Liao Hua, Meng Da, Jian Yong, Ma Su, Ma Yunlu, Fan Yufeng
Wu: Sun Luban, Zhuge Ke, Lu Kang, Wu Guotai, Pan Zhang, Zhu Huan, He Qi, Jiang Qin, Zhuge Jin
Jin: Yang Hu, Chen Tai, Yang Huiyu, Guanqiu Jian, Du Yu, Wen Qin, Sima Yan, Deng Zhong, Jia Nanfeng
Others: Yuan Shu, Dong Bai, Gao Shun

I would have suggested Liu Feng over Meng Da, Sunlyu as you have Luban and maybe fleshing out the "other" options? Otherwise a good list
Ouch Dong, how could you suggest such a thing :lol:

Of course! Feel free to share your thoughts on both boards! You're more than welcome to throw Liu Feng on that list as well, if I added a few other Shu officers to that list it would probably be Liu Feng and Yan Yan anyways. The latter because he seems strangely popular with Japanese fans, although who knows why.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:18 am

Liu Feng would be top of my list for Shu! His relationship with Liu Bei and his advisers would provide a great dynamic. Would also be a fun hypothetical battle, seeing him fight Liu Shan for the throne!
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:53 am

I would probably put Liu Feng top or in and around the Zhang's so top 3.

KW has wider other options so Dong Bai, Gao Shun, Yuan Shu, Gongsun Zan, Guo Si, Hua Xiong, Li Jue, Ma Teng, Wen Chou, Yan Liang

My list would be
Yuan Shu, Li Jue, Dong Bai, Guo Si, Ma Teng, Gongsun Zan, Gao Shun, Wen Chou, Yan Liang, Hua Xiong
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:50 pm

I'd never heard of Dong Bai before now. I can't say she stands out for me, not ahead of the likes of Yuan Shu, Gao Shun, Yuan Tan and Gongsun Zan.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:05 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I'd never heard of Dong Bai before now. I can't say she stands out for me, not ahead of the likes of Yuan Shu, Gao Shun, Yuan Tan and Gongsun Zan.

Sun Fin, if you have time, check out the Blast character designs from these pages, some of them are pretty good, and Dong Bai is one of the more popular ones I think, she was in Rotk XI and XIII as well.

http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Shi ... ter_Images

http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Dong_Bai
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:43 pm

My personal problem with Liu Feng is that he mostly covers an era that is stacked full of Shu characters. I know he comes in a little earlier than most which is great but fairly early on after that Shu gets a bunch of characters thrown in. I’d prefer a character that really covers the early years like Jian Yong, or a character that covers the post Wuzhang years, like Liao Hua or Wang Ping. Liu Feng is solid though!

Yeah agreed, Sun Fin you really should go look through all the DW Blast designs, it did wonders for a bunch of figures. It helps give a little insight on how Koei may decide to portray certain figures of they are ever added. Some designs were so good that they made me change my mind on characters. For example, I never really considered Zhu Huan as a top choice of mine for Wu but after seeing how awesome his Blast design looked I couldn’t help but hope he makes it the main series with a similar look really soon!
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:03 am

I've had a quick glance through and see what you mean about designs - there are some great ones there! I liked Sun Yi in particular! :lol:
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:46 pm

Wei:

Bianshi: Bar a female with battles, what more could you want? Very well connected, married to one of the most prominent figures in the game (and even a sense that Bian and Cao Cao double teamed sometimes), a well defined personality, long life, a few deeds they can run with. Cao Cao is one of the best figures in the game and a well done wife will add to that while Bian has the potential to be a warm, kindly, intelligent figure within the key officer core.

Likelihood? Given the additon of rulers wives, it does feel like a matter of time. Cao Cao is one of the great lovers of the era and given the likes of Xun Can are unlikely to be added, that the game is likely to ever have. Yet they never really go for that angle. If they ever do, Bian is the outstanding choice despite some intresting figures

Cao Rui: Would flesh out the mid-late era, a well connected, one of the most intresting personalities of the era as he is a mess of contradictions like how he was a strict conservative Confucian in public life yet an eccentric and radical in personal life.

Likelihood? I suspect not. One battle and short life is an issue, Wei is more likely to extend Cao Pi's life and will want a sense of Wei's decline early enough. Dowager Guo might be more likely from those of the Cao family (you know what I mean) after Pi due to her long life and the sense she was a Wei rallying point.

Cao Jie (I'm allowed to change my mind right?). There is potential her, she has personality, there is an intresting member of Cao then member of the Han family change so they can see her drifting away from her birth family towards Xian, she would provide a route for Han.

Likelihood? Xian got a bigger role in recent games but I don't think the Han is ever going to be their big focus. If Dong's regime gets extended, that may open a route for a Han faction

Zang Ba has Tao Qian vs Cao Cao, is a Lu Bu figure before joining Wei. After a lively early career that DW can use, he does have a role that DW will struggle to use (guards and keeps peace in the east) but then comes back before a long career against Wu that DW can run with. Deeds, honour, unusual background, maybe lacks relations but he could offer a lot. I think he is likely as Lu Bu's faction is now established and he would allow them to add to Lu Bu and Wei at the same time

Wen Pin would offer a Liu Biao figure which we don't have (bar Gan Ning), he has some good Wei vs Wu battles, honourable man but he doesn't excite me. However he is a bit off to the side and lack of relations makes him unlikely.

Cao Hong is a solid, unexciting addition. Well connected, lots of battles as he serves all over the place, deeds, his personality would challenge the argument Wei is trying to sell (not saying that is a bad thing). I would admit in my earlier days, I over negatived him as like Cheng Pu, he got oversold. If he was announced, I would be "eh, disappointing" becuase it wasn't a Bian or someone like that. Likelihood? Is the sort that could always be added in if DW felt "we need one more Wei figure for this game" but perhaps lacks a "would be so awesome to add" or potential theme

Cao Zhen would be a solid add, fought a fair bit, commander against Zhuge Liang, his persona isn't particularly remarkable and he isn't that well connected bar "of Cao clan, by adoption." Very unlikely as Zhuge vs Sima is a big narrative and he disrupts that

Zhu Ling has "Xu Huang needs a friend" and "despised former Yuan general" going for him but he is someone whose bio is an essence an addition to Xu Huang's rather then a figure whose deeds are well recorded. Lacks friends, persona and deeds to run with. Likelihood? Don't see it happening

Cheng Yu is a man who has persona and importance but in a crowded strategist market, that he effectively went into retirement really counts against him. I think he is unlikely

Xin Pi might have a chance due to his daughter being in game but more a civil adviser then a DW type figure, would be a poor poor add

====

Shu

Zhang Yi, would fit into the current Jiang Wei narrative, provide the forces a strategist and their own reluctant figure, long life, strictness can be used. Likelihood depends on if latter Shu is expanded on.

Zhang Ni Long career though his time in south won't help, maybe can do something about making his name in a rescue, moving and tragic end. Likelihood? I suspect his death may make them a bit reluctant

Liu Feng. Plenty of battles though he is a bit of a task monkey in novel, plenty of relationships (Guan Ping one of the less obvious ones), got personality and got major tragedy. His dynamics with his family (and Xing Cai), plus the Guan family could be fascinating, it could show how affairs of state can lead to great tragedy sometimes. It also has less chance of happening then I have of being declared your divine ruler

Wang Ping is one of Shu's best generals, intelligent but narrowminded and illiterate so could be an intresting persona, plenty of deeds. Would offer a lot but I fear he lacks name recognition for liklihood

Xiahou Ji (to answer Valcatorez, she has no recorded name outside of her family line)is, along with Lady Gan, the only two historical Shu females worth much. Her connections, the Wei/Shu angle, separated from her family till she has to bury Xiahou Yuan. They could use Xing Cai for some of it but they won't. The issue is the manner of her marriage, it goes down really badly in the west and means possibly wise not to do it.

Liao Hua, Long life, Turban to fall of Shu, Turban to Shubie, connections, the great escape. He does lack deeds and a bit of persona (though one can fashion one based in his career) but his long life thanks to novel gives him an amazing angle. That he hasn't been added already and Zhou Cang's recent addition means he may not be as likely as he really should be

Meng Da, the kingdom format would have made it difficult for him to really be used properly but the new format potentially offers him a strong route. In a kingdom full of goodies, Meng Da offers something different, he has a lot of connections, plenty of battles and roles yet he is a bit on the side of things. I would suggest koei isn't likely to add another Shu villain

Jian Yong, his lack of battles is an issue but there is a feeling early Shu needs another add and it also needs someone who provides a bit of humour outside of Zhang Fei. I do see the appeal but think that lack of battles, lack of relations will stop it happening

Ma Yuanlu, I hear there are some folk tale or something? Her connections and that the Ma clan could easily be formed with one or two additions at this point do leave potential so I may be being harsh here. I'm just not sure how keen koei are on building up that clan but if they do, I may well raise her up the list

Ma Su, is a tragic tale of too much too soon but he only has two battles and limited connections, I feel he is one of those "great tragic moment first time he is ingame then gets squeezed out". I'm also uneasy of a bad portrayal of a guy who may have had a mental health breakdown. I could see koei doing him as that have used him as an NPC quite big in Jie Ting battles

Fan Yufeng is a poor poor add. She has one meeting with Zhao Yun and that is pretty much it. Her family will never be added, I can't see Zhao Yun being a proactive member of any romance and I'm not sure they want their white knight in a romance

====

Wu

Sun Luban,, it is a crime she has no sgz. She is the best latter Wu woman, involved heavily in the internal politics, she could turn the "we are family theme" (bar incest) right on it's head, we don't have too many villains in the game and she is a potential one. Likelihood? I'm not sure koei are keen to explore later Wu or have someone disrupt their theme of family

Zhuge Ke, they do love their Zhuge's, he could make a greater posterboy of one who rose too fast or too high, plenty of ways to play him, some major battles, big personality. Would seem a likely add if koei ever does latter Wu

Lu Kang helps cover the post Luban years, relations, has respectful rivalry with Yang Hu and their leading general for some time. My problem is that I more warm to the Ke's and and Sun Luban personalities. Chances? Dead cert if they do latter Wu as Lu Xun's son and one of the big big names of the era.

Wu Guotai, heavily involved in kingdom affairs, heavily connected, provides continuity as Jian and Ce die, big personality, potentially gives them a older woman which the game lacks. Amazed she hasn't been added already

Pan Zhang, Zhu Huan, I suspect Koei would only choose one of the psychopaths of Wu if they ever do (they may find it a bit awkward and skip it utterly), could come down to which era they want Zhang covers the early era, Huan comes into play as Quan takes the throne. I feel Pan has more personality about him personally

He Qi, great general, real chance of personality (and love his DW Blast model) but his career is in the south which koei is never likely to cover in detail. Unlikely

Jiang Qin, A fine but unexciting career, decent chap but he doesn't excite or I feel offer anything new. Is the sort of figure that koei could throw in if they need one more Wu add and don't want to use up a special one they have planned for a theme

Zhuge Jin, a diplomat and civil adviser whose miliatry career reflects only on the sad state of affairs of Sun Quan's decline. He has plenty of relations and the distance he+Liang kept themselves would be intresting to explore, was a thoroughly nice chap, he lacks battles deeds. I could see him being added as mid Wu gets grown though

=====

Jin

Chen Tai Lots of battles, clever tactician and skilled general with many deeds, a tragic end with unquestionable Wei loyalty which the game lacks. Lacks relations and possibly koei may see him as in an overcrowded area

Yang Hu can probably, like Lu Kang, be on his own but would be a very much weakened figure without his rival. Well connected, long record, would flesh out the Jin vs Wu battles but till koei is interested in that, won't happen

Yang Huiyu, either of Sima Shi's wifes would work as both intelligent figures and she is well connected. Would prefer Xiahou Hui for the tragic end and her abilities as a strategist but doubt that is going to happen, I suspect Sima Shi as the one unmaried one will be rectified at some point

Guanqiu Jian, Du Yu, Wen Qin, I'm not particularly fussed with any of the three, not a Jin expert doesn't help I admit. Jian's opposing Jin gives him the edge and seems like a more intresting chap then Qin.

Sima Yan I see the appeal of the winning emperor and I suspect koei would do that if they added latter Wu but I feel the tale can be told without him as he tended to leave things to his generals.

Deng Zhong fights one battle (twice) and only has his father plus his killer. If a Guan figure, would be added but thankfully won't be

Jia Nanfeng has everything, relations, personality, deeds, just in the wrong era. Fascinating figure and if right era, would love her to be added. Alas...

======

Others:

Yuan Shu, has real potential to add something to stories of most factions in the game and plenty of characters bar Yuan Shu being completely messed up. Some fun potential battles, some different routes they go can do with persona (though I suspect comic baddie). Will they? Has been sense Yuan Shu gets mentioned a lot in the chapter headings, that may help twig his importance

Li Jue. Extending Dong faction would aid Han, Dong, Wei and Ma clan stories (plus Jia Xu) and Li Jue is the best representative, he has the more stand up persona and sense of leader. I just don't feel Dong's faction is at all the priority

Dong Bai, I love the costume and evil lady could be fun.

Ma Teng: I could see the Qiang (with Ma Teng, Han Sui and Ma Yuanlu being added) being a good faction, Ma Teng himself has an intresting backstory though I prefer Han Sui, there are plenty of battles, relations within their own faction. Is it likely? I think koei seems them as a bit too isolated from main 3kingdoms thrust

Gongsun Zan is a figure who makes sense if they decide to do a big expansion of Yuan Shao's story, not till then. Has intresting battles, could provide Yuan Shao's big bad, the historical persona is the only one that gives him personality but Liu Bei connections may koei reluctant to go for that. Chances? The next Xl could be intresting, they did Lu Bu last time and Yuan Shao would seem the likely choice for next but not convinced they will.

Guo Si, only ever works if Li Jue is added, can not work that well alone

Gao Shun, is a great officer of Lu Bu but his officer core is crowded with warriors, it is best to give him figures like Zang Ba who get explored outside of Lu Bu's time. Quite possibly be the next XL add as Lu Bu's big addition.

Wen Chou, Yan Liang as the big name warriors, they are likely if Yuan Shao gets expanded but I think they would be better off going for Yuan children (bar Xi), the strategists and figures that add more.

Hua Xiong he got a bit of UNPC role so I wouldn't be utterly suprised but I hope not, a one shot figure
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training