Dynasty Warriors 9 - Characters

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 - Characters

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:55 am

I guess since I posed the question I may as well answer it myself :D

Wu:

Likely-Zhuge Jin, Wu Guotai, and one of Zhu Huan/Pan Zhang/Jiang Qin

Zhuge Jin is almost certainly going to be the next male Wu add, as he made the list in Famitsu's most wanted character poll. Plus he's a strategist which fans seem to love and Zhuge to boot which makes him a more well-known option. Wu Guotai is another obvious choice since Wu hasn't had a female add since DW7 and she is a member of the Sun family, and family is the central motif of Wu. Then both Zhu Huan, Pan Zhang, and Jiang Qin are among the last few prominent mid-era Wu figures. I don't feel that they'll all be added but I do feel fairly confident we'll see at least one of them as the next Wu general added. It's a toss up which one Koei deems to be the better choice of the 3. I have a feeling they may give the edge to Zhu Huan but who knows. Until Koei decides they are willing to expand into late Wu then I'll doubt we'll see anyone like Zhuge Ke, Sun Luban, Lu Kang, etc. even though they are good adds.

Personal desire:
1.Pan Zhang
2.Wu Guotai
3.Zhu Huan
4.Zhuge Jin
5.Sun Luban
6.He Qi
7.Jiang Qin
8.Zhuge Ke
9.Lu Kang

Shu

Likely-Liao Hua, Wang Ping, and Xiahouji

I think Shu is pretty easy to figure out who is coming soon. The producers have said that when making DW8 they considered adding both Wang Ping and Liao Hua, so we already know they are on Koei's radar. Plus they are both very popular with fans and have significant roles in the novel so I'm fairly certain they are both coming next. Xiahouji also seems like a likely choice for Koei, she is related to existing characters and was given a fairly prominent role in DW Blast. I could easily see her being the next Shu female whenver they decide to add the next one.

Personal desire:
1.Liao Hua
2.Wang Ping
3.Jian Yong
4.Zhang Yi
5.Liu Feng
6.Ma Yunlu
7.Ma Su
8.Meng Da
9.Xiahou Ji
10.Fan Yufeng

Wei

Likely-Bianshi, Cao Hong, Wen Pin, and Zang Ba

I think Bianshi is almost certainly the next Wei add. Wei only has 3 females, but 23 characters in total. Shu, which is the same size as Wei, has 4 females as does Wu which has less characters overall than Wei. I think that means Wei is likely getting a female soon to even the odds and Bianshi is the most obvious choice being the wife of Cao Cao. Cao Hong is another likely choice considering his relations to lots of characters, long career, last non-playable member of the old guard, etc. Then Zang Ba could be possible due to Lu Bu's expanded role and his career in Wei. Wen Pin was popular among fans in DW Blast so that also makes him a possibility.

Personal desire:
1.Cao Hong
2.Cao Zhen
3.Cheng Yu
4.Cao Jie
5.Wen Pin
6.Zhu Ling
7.Zang Ba
8.Xin Pi
9.Bianshi
10.Cao Rui

Jin

Likely-Chen Tai, Yang Hu, Du Yu, and Yang Huiyu

Chen Tai is almost without a doubt the next Jin add. He has all the makings of a DW character and is easily the most prominent general of that time yet to be added. Yang Huiyu is also a like choice since it's usually wives/concubines or rulers that get added and both Sima Yi and Sima Zhao have theirs added already. She is the granddaughter of Cai Wenji and brother of Yang Hu as well, so she seems like a good fit. Yang Hu and Du Yu are also very likely if the timeline is expanded.

Personal Desire:
1.Chen Tai
2.Yang Hu
3.Du Yu
4.Deng Zhong
5.Yang Huiyu
6.Wen Qin
7.Guanqiu Jian
8.Jia Nanfeng
9.Sima Yan
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
User avatar
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 - Characters

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:42 pm

As I understand it, UNPC's have been confirmed. My guess is these will be turned into DLC PC's or are checking the waters to see if any of them become popular.

Dong Bai: I'm surprised as UNPC as not quite sure how that will work. I liked her blast design, an evil female would be newish and Dong needs someone he can be a human around rather then the old tubster mcevil face.

Hua Xiong: UNPC makes sense, they have made him a bit of a character in recent DW for Lu Bu factions as well as so you can beat on him as alliance. I hope this one shot figure does not become a PC, I would love to see Dong's faction expanded but why not figures that had personality, decent lifespan and deeds beyond being a warm up act? Li Jue, Guo Si, Xu Rong?

Yuan Shu: YES! The chapters had indicated a big role for Yuan Shu, he has tended to have a fun personality in recent games, giving him a model makes sense if anyone was going to be a UNPC it would be him. I have long, alone with a fair few here and KW, advocated Yuan Shu as a PC, got a few potential personalties, some major battles, interacts and involved in so many characters stories. Mind you, as the recent polling showed, this kind of community and the western DW community isn't the same thing so may not be as popular as I think.

Xiahou Ji: Like Dong Bai, I'm wondering how they integrate this UNPC's, koei probably wise to "test the waters" given the controversy that surrounds her. On paper, one of the very very few decent females Shu has left (Lady Gan is the other one for me), lots of relations due to her Zhang/Xiahou connections, the separated from her family angle, could have a very sad scene when Yuan (Rong's death will be skipped over) dies. They could do some of this with Xing Cai and SSX but they don't so gap is still there.

The issue with her is the kidnap and possibly worse vs koei belief all marriage is eternally happy in a way that makes Disney go "hang on, let us be realistic here..." Koei has done this plenty of times before in DW but Xiahou Ji is the one that riles people, where there is a feeling of a line being crossed.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
User avatar
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou
 
Posts: 15348
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 - Characters

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:52 pm

I'm so happy to see Yuan Shu being added at long last. Think Xiahou Ji has potential but as Dong has alluded to I can't see how Koei will use her as they shy away from topics like rape. I'll withhold judgement on Dong Bai for now but I'm skeptical. Not impressed with Hua Xiong's add.

I still really want Zhang Xiu! Would expand Dong's faction, give some battles against Cao Cao (especially with Jia Xu there, giving Dian Wei an epic death scene) and then becomes a Wei character!
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
User avatar
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: The birthplace of radio

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 - Characters

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:52 pm

I like having Dong Zhou's faction fleshed out a bit more. Dong Bai looks good and DW desperately needs some evil women; Hua Xiong is a peculiar choice, but I suppose they're going for a Romance depiction, which I'm okay with now and then. Still, as Dong Zhou (the user :P) suggested above, I would have loved to see Xu Rong instead.

I think Yuan Shu is a good add, if not an obvious one. I don't think his inclusion needs to be justified at this point; in fact, him still being a mere NPC is the unjustified part, imo.

Xiahouji is going to be annoying. If only because it's pretty much guaranteed that Koei will depict it as a mutual love instead of what history implies. If Koei has any guts, they'd depict it as a broken marriage, but I won't hold my breath. Interested to see what interactions she has with Xingcai, though it'll be weird having her look younger than her daughter(s) in any scenes.
User avatar
Jia Nanfeng
Apprentice
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:30 pm

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 - Characters

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:21 am

Jia Nanfeng wrote:Xiahouji is going to be annoying. If only because it's pretty much guaranteed that Koei will depict it as a mutual love instead of what history implies. If Koei has any guts, they'd depict it as a broken marriage, but I won't hold my breath. Interested to see what interactions she has with Xingcai, though it'll be weird having her look younger than her daughter(s) in any scenes.


I've been seeing a lot of hate on her addition on some tumblr accounts and I think they have a point. It is disrespectful to the historical figure to portray her happily married to Zhang Fei considering the actual circumstances of the marriage. I hope they might age her character after Xing Cai's character appears. However I'm not optimistic...
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
User avatar
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: The birthplace of radio

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 - Characters

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:21 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
Jia Nanfeng wrote:Xiahouji is going to be annoying. If only because it's pretty much guaranteed that Koei will depict it as a mutual love instead of what history implies. If Koei has any guts, they'd depict it as a broken marriage, but I won't hold my breath. Interested to see what interactions she has with Xingcai, though it'll be weird having her look younger than her daughter(s) in any scenes.


I've been seeing a lot of hate on her addition on some tumblr accounts and I think they have a point. It is disrespectful to the historical figure to portray her happily married to Zhang Fei considering the actual circumstances of the marriage. I hope they might age her character after Xing Cai's character appears. However I'm not optimistic...


We're always mad about something :wink: , but Lady Xiahou was the tipping point for most folks. With me, I just... gave up. I don't care . I'm never getting Chen Tai, Xiahou Xuan, Hu Lie, etc. So I'll just stick to Zhong Hui and Deng Ai, explore the world, destroy Shu and pretend that this week never happened.
"Since our eternal parting will come in a few days, I write this in a passion, to reveal my heart and to bid farewell to you, my prince."
User avatar
DaoLunOfShiji
Initiate
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: "A genius like Cao Zhi, as martial as Cao Cao."

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 - Characters

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:57 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:
Jia Nanfeng wrote:Xiahouji is going to be annoying. If only because it's pretty much guaranteed that Koei will depict it as a mutual love instead of what history implies. If Koei has any guts, they'd depict it as a broken marriage, but I won't hold my breath. Interested to see what interactions she has with Xingcai, though it'll be weird having her look younger than her daughter(s) in any scenes.


I've been seeing a lot of hate on her addition on some tumblr accounts and I think they have a point. It is disrespectful to the historical figure to portray her happily married to Zhang Fei considering the actual circumstances of the marriage. I hope they might age her character after Xing Cai's character appears. However I'm not optimistic...


We're always mad about something :wink: , but Lady Xiahou was the tipping point for most folks. With me, I just... gave up. I don't care . I'm never getting Chen Tai, Xiahou Xuan, Hu Lie, etc. So I'll just stick to Zhong Hui and Deng Ai, explore the world, destroy Shu and pretend that this week never happened.


You were the main person I was referring too :lol:

I only signed up to tumblr a few days ago, mainly to follow you and xuesanguo although I'm now following some of the otehr big 3K posters. You've probably noticed me commenting on a few of your posts. I'm not trying to wind you up, promise! :lol:

Unlike you I prefer the early period. I get bored after Liu Bei's death frankly so Yuan Shu was top of my list. However I do think that having decided to do Jin they should do the late period properly...
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
User avatar
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: The birthplace of radio

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 - Characters

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:55 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
You were the main person I was referring too :lol:

I only signed up to tumblr a few days ago, mainly to follow you and xuesanguo although I'm now following some of the otehr big 3K posters. You've probably noticed me commenting on a few of your posts. I'm not trying to wind you up, promise! :lol:

Unlike you I prefer the early period. I get bored after Liu Bei's death frankly so Yuan Shu was top of my list. However I do think that having decided to do Jin they should do the late period properly...


Haha, I'm not shocked. Yesterday was hell on Earth. :(

Oh yeah, I've seen you. We had our little Ma Su/Jiang Wei debate. It was fun.

I don't nessisarily hate the early stuff, there are folks present that I love. Yu Jin, Sun Ce, Zhou Yu, etc. Just extremely frustrating that, for the third time in a row (8, 8XL and now 9) Jin and the later era are getting shafted once again in favor of the over-bloated in 190s. Every day is suffering for me.
"Since our eternal parting will come in a few days, I write this in a passion, to reveal my heart and to bid farewell to you, my prince."
User avatar
DaoLunOfShiji
Initiate
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: "A genius like Cao Zhi, as martial as Cao Cao."

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 - Characters

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Just as long was I'm not one of the people you've blocked! :lol:

Yup, that was me!

I can understand that. But surely you can see that Yuan Shu makes so many of the early story lines so much stronger. Take Sun Ce who you like for example! Sun Ce barely gets any battles right now basically just the conquering of Wu which they normally do in one battle. Hopefully now they'll have some of his early battles under Yuan Shu (against Lu Kang for example) and then they can take some artistic license to him announcing his independence and conquering of Liu Xun to give him battles against Yuan Shu.

Personally he was long over due. The other spaces I agree would have been better spent giving us some later officers.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
User avatar
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: The birthplace of radio

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 - Characters

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:26 pm

Don't worry, you weren't blocked. :)

My big problem with Yuan Shu and also Cheng Pu is that they shouldn't have been added in 9. Cheng Pu should've been here during 3. or 4. Yuan Shu was perfect for DW6 seeing how many times he shows up in that game. Seriously there are like 4 or 5 levels he shows up in. He also had a unique model in that game. They're two guys who should've been added along time ago, and sadly now they're added during a time when he need later folks more.

I think they are fine. Actually good adds, but I think they waited too long to add them and now by doing so the most lacking era continues to be extremely lacking.
"Since our eternal parting will come in a few days, I write this in a passion, to reveal my heart and to bid farewell to you, my prince."
User avatar
DaoLunOfShiji
Initiate
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: "A genius like Cao Zhi, as martial as Cao Cao."

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved