Dynasty Warriors 9 - Characters

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 - Characters

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:58 am

Xu Sheng confirmed

I'll be honest, I know he is a popular wanted add but never quite got the appeal. I enjoy his fake wall, he (along with Man Chong) helps up their mid Wei-Wu era battles, he was a brave and highly able officer, has all sorts of little moments but even reading his sgz never gets me excited. He is a potentially good addition though
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:47 pm

The female adviser Xin Xianying is confirmed as new add.

I think she is a figure with a lot of potential (concerns at Cao Pi's reaction, Wu Zhang though given 3 people claim credit on that koei has a choice to make, Sima Yi coup, Zhong Hui concerns), long life helps give someone who sees Wei's rise and it's fall, is a lot more then quite a few female adds had when added but key will be integrating her given most of her connections were with figures that are never likely to be added (plus Yang Hu). Was someone I had wanted for some time if they ever covered post-Wu Zhang.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:15 pm

I think she's a good add too, she was always one of the characters I liked in the other games, but what faction should she be in? I think most of her family was in Wei, but Wei has Cai Wenji and Wang Yi as well, both of them weren't really a part of Wei were they? Or at least not enough to be considered part of their forces/advisors. I think maybe she should be in Jin, or at least join them later at some point.
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby DragonAtma » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:39 pm

They have a history of adding generals over civil officers (to be fair, generals would me more suitable for battle), but the new non-military officers (Man Chong, Xin Xianying, Xun You) may mean that they make it more tactical than before ("smash everyone" has its limits).

I should add that (at least according to wikipedia) they've announced four wei officers (Cao Xiu, Man Chong, Xin Xianying, Xun You), two Wu officers (Cheng Pu, Xu Sheng), and one Shu officer (Zhou Cang), but nobody for Jin or Other -- so my instincts say they'll likely announce a Jin officer next.

I still think that Zhuge Zhan is a likely add; Lu Kang and Yang Hu probably have a pretty good chance too (if not this game, then next game).
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:24 pm

Too many new Wei officers, not enough Shu :-p

Seriously though, another Shu officer and a couple of Jin officers would be nice. Maybe an other world be good. Yuan Shu, or one of his guys would be good. They can start at the second scenario and end right before Guan Du. Short but let's face it Dong Zhuo's will be short too.

WTB Liao Hua:-p
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:54 pm

I would be surprised if we got 0 Jin and only 1 Shu so I would indeed imagine we will see adds there but feels like the main focus has been fleshing out the mid-Wei vs Wu battles with those additions. Whether the game itself builds on that era, we will see.

Valvatorez wrote:I think she's a good add too, she was always one of the characters I liked in the other games, but what faction should she be in? I think most of her family was in Wei, but Wei has Cai Wenji and Wang Yi as well, both of them weren't really a part of Wei were they? Or at least not enough to be considered part of their forces/advisors. I think maybe she should be in Jin, or at least join them later at some point.

Cai Wenji was married to a Wei officer eventually and was in Cao Cao's circle, Wang Yi fought with Wei forces and was married to Wei officer so those two make sense.

Once DW7 set out how they defined Wei/Jin, I would have (give Xiahou Ba is in Jin roster) assumed she would be in Jin give the time-frame. I'm hearing she is in Wei yet they keep Xiahou Ba in Jin so not sure what the rules are if that is true. Life-span and loyalty wise, she could be in either
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Long » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:39 pm

Shu: Liao Hua
Wu: Jiang Qin
Wei: Cao Zhen
Other: Yuan Shu
"Never argue with an idiot. They'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
"Censorship is a tool for the closed-minded and insecure."
Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:06 am

So I'm just posing this question to everyone, out of the following adds for each kingdom, how would you rank them? Please rnak them respective to their kingdom and the choices presented and not the greater pool(aka please don't say so-and-so is ok but this person would be better). You don't have to agree that they are the best adds for each kingdom but I figure these are probably the most likely candidates for each kingdom in the future so I thought I'd poll people on how you'd rank them in terms of favorability. You are welcome to do a second ranking in which you rank how likely you think each character is to appear in DW.

Wei: Bianshi, Cao Hong, Cao Jie, Cao Rui, Cao Zhen, Cheng Yu, Wen Pin, Xin Pi, Zang Ba, Zhu Ling
Shu: Fan Yufeng, Jian Yong, Liao Hua, Ma Su, Ma Yunlu, Meng Da, Wang Ping, Xiahou Ji, Zhang Ni, Zhang Yi
Wu: He Qi, Jiang Qin, Lu Kang, Pan Zhang, Sun Luban, Wu Guotai, Zhu Huan, Zhuge Jin, Zhuge Ke
Jin: Chen Tai, Deng Zhong, Du Yu, Guanqiu Jian, Jia Nanfeng, Sima Yan, Wen Qin, Yang Hu, Yang Huiyu
Others: Dong Bai, Gao Shun, Yuan Shu

also, let's be real, if Lady Wu/Wu Guotai is added the two characters are highly likely to just be combined into one person, sorta like what they did with Xing Cai. If you guys genuinely think I left someone out who has a decent shot at making the roster, let me know and I'll edit it. Keep in mind this is a list of people who I, and I think the general fanbase, think stand a decent chance at making it to be playable. It's not meant to be a personal wishlist of mine.

Let me know what you all think :D
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:14 am

Cao Hong 14 wrote:So I'm just posing this question to everyone, out of the following adds for each kingdom, how would you rank them? Please rnak them respective to their kingdom and the choices presented and not the greater pool(aka please don't say so-and-so is ok but this person would be better). You don't have to agree that they are the best adds for each kingdom but I figure these are probably the most likely candidates for each kingdom in the future so I thought I'd poll people on how you'd rank them in terms of favorability. You are welcome to do a second ranking in which you rank how likely you think each character is to appear in DW.

Wei: Bianshi, Cao Hong, Cao Jie, Cao Rui, Cao Zhen, Cheng Yu, Wen Pin, Xin Pi, Zang Ba, Zhu Ling
Shu: Fan Yufeng, Jian Yong, Liao Hua, Ma Su, Ma Yunlu, Meng Da, Wang Ping, Xiahou Ji, Zhang Ni, Zhang Yi
Wu: He Qi, Jiang Qin, Lu Kang, Pan Zhang, Sun Luban, Wu Guotai, Zhu Huan, Zhuge Jin, Zhuge Ke
Jin: Chen Tai, Deng Zhong, Du Yu, Guanqiu Jian, Jia Nanfeng, Sima Yan, Wen Qin, Yang Hu, Yang Huiyu
Others: Dong Bai, Gao Shun, Yuan Shu

also, let's be real, if Lady Wu/Wu Guotai is added the two characters are highly likely to just be combined into one person, sorta like what they did with Xing Cai. If you guys genuinely think I left someone out who has a decent shot at making the roster, let me know and I'll edit it. Keep in mind this is a list of people who I, and I think the general fanbase, think stand a decent chance at making it to be playable. It's not meant to be a personal wishlist of mine.

Let me know what you all think :D

This is only my personal opinion, which I'm sure everyone will disagree with (just like with me liking DW music :mrgreen: ), but let's see...

Quick rank if you don't want to read what I think :mrgreen:

Wei- Bian Shi, Cao Jie, Wen Pin, Cao Hong, Cao Rui, Cao Zhen, Xin Pi, Cheng Yu, Zang Ba/Zhu Ling
Shu- Ma Yunlu, Liao Hua, Ma Su, Fan Yufeng, Jian Yong, Zhang Yi, Wang Ping, Meng Da, Zhang Ni, Xiahou Shi
Wu- He Qi, Jiang Qin, Pan Zhang, Zhu Huan, Zhuge Ke, Lu Kang, Zhuge Jin, Wu Guotai, Sun Luban
Jin- Chen Tai, Yang Hu, Du Yu, Sima Yan, Guanqiu Jian, Wen Qin, Deng Zhong, Jia Nanfeng, Yang Huiyu
Other- Yuan Shu, Dong Bai, Gao Shun

Just an opinion on each-

Wei:

-Bian Shi- I could see them adding her in there next, could be good to see a different side of Cao Cao, but I think it will probably end up something like Lady Nō and Nobunaga in the Samurai Warriors games, but in the opposite sense where she isn't quite the sadistic and calculating woman Nō appears to be at times(Nō is my favorite character from any of these games), but Bian Shi is the more gentle and caring/motherly type to balance out some of Cao Cao's ruthless personality.

- Cao Jie- Could be interesting to see more interactions from Cao Cao and Cao Pi with her, but think they should add the Emperor in as well, not as a playable character, but as a unique npc with more stories and scenes based around him.

- Wen Pin- I think he would be a good choice overall.

- Cao Hong, Cao Rui, Cao Zhen- can't really pick between any of these to rank since I could see any of them added, or none of them, all could be a decent add if done right, but not sure which one would be better over the other to put in. I suppose Cao Rui could work if they added more later scenarios after Cao Pi is gone.

- Xin Pi- don't think it's likely, but could possibly be added as I expect Xin Xianyang will be popular so they may choose to add him to further develop her character.

- Cheng Yu- possible, not really sure what to say as I think Wei has too many strategy types as it is.

- Zang Ba/Zhu Ling- I'd put these on the bottom mainly because I would think they would be the least likely to get added.

Shu-

-Ma Yunlu- would like to see her added, could be another fierce warrior type like Lu Lingqi and could possibly be a really good character overall since they could make her however they wanted to really, would maybe need Ma Teng in there as well and possibly to make it into an "other" faction at first until most of them join Shu since it could be good to see some of the earlier scenarios like fighting against Cao Cao or others. She also could have very interesting interactions with several other characters, not only her brothers, but also Zhao Yun, Wang Yi, and Cao Cao.

- Liao Hua- seems likely, others have said he's better than Zhou Cang, but for Hua, there's a lot you can do with him since he has one of the more unique settings in that he lived through almost everything that would happen in the game, from many different perspectives, so I think he would be a good choice in general.

- Ma Su- definitely could see him added, not sure what kind of character he would be though, maybe the arrogant type who ends up meeting his own downfall because of his attitude, maybe the Zhuge Liang lackey, maybe a good strategist in his own right, could see them doing any of that.

- Fan Yufeng- I like her character design from Blast a lot, but don't think she will ever get added unless she is some kind of Lian Shi character to Shu.

- Jian Yong- possible, would be similar kinda to what I said about Ma Su in way.

- Zhang Yi, Wang Ping, Meng Da, Zhang Ni- I will put all these together mainly because it's something I could see going either way, Zhang Yi and Wang Ping could be decent adds in general but I think they will be quickly overshadowed by others and not fleshed out properly as characters. Meng Da could be interesting in some way, and I don't really know enough about Zhang Ni to give an opinion.

- Xiahou Shi- side note, I recently saw her name listed as Xiahou Hong, is that her real name? I said before in the other thread I believe that I like her character design from Blast a lot too, but don't think she would be added as is, she needs to be a much older character than she was initially and completely avoid the story of her meeting Zhang Fei or change it, but could be a good character if given the chance and if people are able to overlook her backstory/don't know about it.

Wu-
-He Qi, Jiang Qin, Pan Zhang, Zhu Huan- I will put all these together since I think each of them could be a good add for Wu, could see any of them possibly getting added in the future.

- Zhuge Ke- think its very likely in the future, especially if they decide to add more later scenarios

- Lu Kang, Zhuge Jin- nothing really to say about either since they both could get added and be ok in general.

- Wu Guotai- possible, if added will pretty much overtake the Lian Shi role of the type of character that is the motherly one that looks out for everyone, further reducing Lian Shi's role in the game.

- Sun Luban- I'd pick Luyu honestly which I know you didn't want anyone to say lol, don't think either is likely anytime soon at least, but could work.

Jin-

- Chen Tai, Yang Hu, Du Yu- Think either of these will be the next Jin character they do decide to add, can't really personally pick one over the other, would say Yang Hu if I had to though, think would be a good choice to Jin.

-Sima Yan- Think he comes along too late to be of any use, and think he probably would be too similar to others in his family, but could see it happening.

-Guanqiu Jian, Wen Qin- don't think it's likely honestly, Guanqiu Jian personally doesn't interest me whatsoever, but could be a decent scenario or story if done right.

- Deng Zhong- have no interest in him myself, will leave him under the 'maybe if done right' category :mrgreen:

- Jia Nanfeng- already said would like this, but don't think it's possible since she comes along far too late and wouldn't be around for almost any of the scenarios and they'd probably end up having to add several other characters from her time in order for her to have anything to do.

-Yang Huiyu- I'll be honest, this is the only one on the entire list that I have no clue who they even are, so I can't give any kind of comment..

Other-

-Yuan Shu- Not personally a fan of his, think it's only a matter of time though...

-Dong Bai- Absolutely yes, love her design, want to see her use that pig she's holding in Blast as a weapon or something. Could be the evil spoiled princess type, and could actually add to Dong Zhuo's character in that he would be protective or even caring towards her, something he is not to anyone else.

-Gao Shun- I would add him for sure as well, could help give Lu Bu another officer to help him and also show someone that was loyal to Lu Bu all the way to the end.

Other people that I could think of to get added-

-Sun Luyu I mentioned above

Trying to think of someone from Wei and Shu that are not on the list, maybe Yan Yan and Cao Zhi? Not sure either would work at all though, since Yan Yan would be too similar to Huang Zhong, and Cao Zhi probably isn't a good choice but could add some interesting scenes between Zhen Ji and Cao Pi.

-Wen Chou/Yan Liang/Tian Feng, anything to help Yuan Shao a bit in the early scenarios

-Hua Xiong- (sorry Dong Zhou I know you will hate me for this one, and Sun Fin will come in to agree with you :mrgreen:) I mainly would pick him or possibly Li Jue to add to Dong Zhuos force only to help add more to the 'Other' character's forces, they will never be as big as the main 3/Jin, but a couple of adds to each could work, even though Xiong was probably a heavily exaggerated character and he isn't around all that long, neither are some other ones like Zhang Jiao..

-He Jin/Empress He- Neither one of them is gonna be around very long whatsoever, but wouldn't mind seeing some very early scenarios that show what happened leading up to the Yellow Turban Rebellion as well as Dong Zhuo taking over the capital.

- Gongsun Zan- Do you think this could work? I'm not really sure honestly.

- Someone else from Nanman- Would probably pick Hua Man honestly, not sure how any of the others would work, although she probably would end up as the Bao Sanniang type of character then they should just leave her out then.

- Ma Teng- Mentioned him above, wouldn't last very long either, would like to see some of the early story and settings with him and Ma Chao, Ma Dai, and Ma Yunlu if she's added.

-Wang Yun? He plays a pretty important part in the early going, but feel like I'm grasping at straws at this one :mrgreen:

Overall though I will say that I'm pretty happy in general with the way the current lineup looks in that they brought everyone back and introduced some new faces and also gave most characters a makeover, and really do hope the game does well.
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:26 pm

Let's all put Cao Hong at bottom :wink: I assume your ok with me posting it here and KW?

Quick answer and will build longer one in days ahead

Wei: Bianshi, Cao Rui, Wen Pin, Cao Jie, Zang Ba, Cao Zhen, Cao Hong, Zhu Ling, Cheng Yu, Xin Pi
Shu: Zhang Yi, Zhang Ni, Wang Ping, Xiahou Ji, Liao Hua, Meng Da, Jian Yong, Ma Su, Ma Yunlu, Fan Yufeng
Wu: Sun Luban, Zhuge Ke, Lu Kang, Wu Guotai, Pan Zhang, Zhu Huan, He Qi, Jiang Qin, Zhuge Jin
Jin: Yang Hu, Chen Tai, Yang Huiyu, Guanqiu Jian, Du Yu, Wen Qin, Sima Yan, Deng Zhong, Jia Nanfeng
Others: Yuan Shu, Dong Bai, Gao Shun

I would have suggested Liu Feng over Meng Da, Sunlyu as you have Luban and maybe fleshing out the "other" options? Otherwise a good list
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training