Dynasty Warriors 9

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9

Unread postby Skode » Sat May 05, 2018 1:07 pm

It's a flawed but fun experience is DW9. I find it's got that B Movie charm, over 400 hours into it and not even finished half the playable rosters stories yet :lol: . Got the season pass for even more when they're released but I'm in no rush - the consistent release of patches have certainly made for a far better experience than launch, now that was a mess...

My last posts here were DW6 days. Never imagined it would take till 2018 to finally get the likes of Cheng Pu and Xun Yu their DW story debuts, they were certainly worth the wait. I'm sure Yuan Shu will be too.
Skode
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Tue May 08, 2018 2:51 pm

Apparently there's an Ultimate difficulty now with the latest patch, so I think I gonna play game a bit and see what's changed. My second biggest complaint about the game's been the AI. More specifically, the inabilty of the generals to musou me, not speaking of punishing the juggling with jump musous as it's been in 8. I wonder if stacking 4 belts to get 16 musou per sec been nerfed down as well :)
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Tue May 08, 2018 6:21 pm

There is apparently some new mode with the season pass, I think it's arena mode? It's similar to the challenge modes from previous games if I understand what people are saying about it correctly.
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Academic

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Tue May 08, 2018 7:40 pm

Ok, I just reinstalled the game, updated and played for 2 hours. Arena mostly, 'cause the rest is largely unchanged.
Arena is awesome and utterly terrible at the same time. It seems Omega Force can not even make a tiny update without bugs and glitches.
Good things first. The AI of the officers is on par with dw8xl. They are ultra aggressive, they use both types of musous on all difficulties, they work as a team stunlocking the player. Once in red health they spam musous like they should (in my opinion of course).It took me quite a while to learn how to deal with 5 officers on ultimate at the same time with all 4 restrictions on (no musou, no usable items, no special attacks and no hp recovery). Well...the first one is instakilled by an assault attack so it's really 4 on 1.
Bad things, very bad things actually now. Camera is useless, autolock acts as it wants. Finishers still miss. Often I would attack in a completely different direction without the lock. Happened near the boundaries at least 5-7. Times. What I had to do is start Dun's launcher (DW4 like charge) with the AI officers being offscreen (you don't have time to slowly recenter the camera when you're pressed that heavily with unblockable charges and musous), then turn the lock on during animation trying to figure out who am I actually attacking, then as soon I killed the officer I had to turn the lock off and repeat the process.
In less than 2 hours I had kicked the officers out of the arena with my musou attack at least 4 times and they obviously couldn't get back. I had officers sink underneath the arena at least twice. Once I was attacked by an invisible Zhao Yun. But the best thing ever was when Zhang Fei decided to clone himself. First I knocked him out of the ring and then I had 2 Zhang Feis outside of the ring trying to get back.
I can understand the big open world being full of bugs, but that's just one little tiny arena and they can't do even that right. Still the AI is awesome in Arena.

Edit: Arena is a part of patch 1.08, not a DLC. So it's free.
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Skode » Wed May 09, 2018 4:49 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:There is apparently some new mode with the season pass, I think it's arena mode? It's similar to the challenge modes from previous games if I understand what people are saying about it correctly.

Yeah Arena free with the patch unless you mean the Ordeals which are part of the hideout bundle and are essentially the Challenge mode of the older games.
Skode
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue May 22, 2018 4:14 am

So I turned the game back on this evening to finish off the first chapter of Lu Bu's campaign, so Chapter 2.
I was reminded of a small thing that I really miss about the older games, keeping track of officers. In previous games when you brought up the menu in battle you could look at the officers under your command and the enemy officers on the map. You could not only get a list but be shown where they are on the battlefield. This, while not a huge thing is something that I miss greatly. I really like to see who the game has assigned me for the battles and what they are doing on the map.

The game feels more lonely when I have no idea who my allies are and where they are fighting. Sure occasionally an ally or enemy might appear on the map but most of the time I have to randomly wander into the path of an ally which isn't as interesting.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:06 am

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:So I turned the game back on this evening to finish off the first chapter of Lu Bu's campaign, so Chapter 2.
I was reminded of a small thing that I really miss about the older games, keeping track of officers. In previous games when you brought up the menu in battle you could look at the officers under your command and the enemy officers on the map. You could not only get a list but be shown where they are on the battlefield. This, while not a huge thing is something that I miss greatly. I really like to see who the game has assigned me for the battles and what they are doing on the map.

The game feels more lonely when I have no idea who my allies are and where they are fighting. Sure occasionally an ally or enemy might appear on the map but most of the time I have to randomly wander into the path of an ally which isn't as interesting.
I agree completely. It was a great setup and gave a nice feeling being able to track down which officer to kill next and see how many troops they still have and their morale etc. DW9 as a contrast just feels so open and lonely. Allies are utterly useless and in my opinion feel the most useless they've ever felt now that we have an open world, almost all battles are you single handedly going down the list of objectives and fast traveling to each one killing the enemy until its over. At least with the old system, especially the way it was set up in the PS2 games there was always the fear that your commander could be over run and killed. It actually meant something when you had the message pop up on your screen telling you one of the officers on your side had been routed. Everything post DW6 I'd say, felt so scripted that battles were only ever meant to play out in one specific way, more like an interactive movie where you casually hack your way to the end, as opposed to before where things were set up a certain way and then just let loose with lots of different things that could change the way the battle played out.

I could keep going on and on and on about the things I miss. Idk what happened to Koei, they had such a brilliant and unique series on their hands and somehow they let the magic of the series slip away, at least to me. I still love the series and probably always partly will, but things now just feel so different, and necessarily in the best way. I can't shake the feeling that Koei has forgotten what made the series so exciting and fun in the first place and doesn't know how to recapture that feeling.

I still say that to me, the ideal DW game would be a near carbon copy of DW5 just with additional battles, the DW9 roster, and better graphics. Essentially just an expanded DW5.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training