Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:40 pm

I agree that Shu have a disproportionate amount of fictional officers and I'd certain trade Guan Suo or Bao Sanniang for any of the historical officers you mentioned. In all fairness though how many fictional officers are there for other factions? None spring to my mind! Also Zhu Rong has always been 'Other' on all the games hasn't she?

I'd also add that Zuo Ci might be based on a real person but his in game character is pretty much fictional!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:06 pm

While Zuo Ci in the game has nothing to do with the IRL one, the IRL one definitely existed (and served Wei). Of course, other characters also have some major changes form history (such as virtually every female character!).

As for Zhurong, yes, she's in the Other faction, but both in the novel and the games, the Nanman officially join Shu. Historical, too; for example, the Cuan clan -- led by Yong Kai's uncle, Cuan Xi -- became a major power in Nanzhong, both under Shu and Jin.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lost » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:40 pm

On the whole I support adding more historical characters rather than fictional ones. I think it would be a mistake to get rid of Zhu Rong though as she's been around so long and we need to hold onto as many Other characters as we can.

Also another set of characters have been released. I'm a bit surprised by how young Sima Yi looks although I do like his outfit which has a nicer mix of blue and purple since his allegiance should still be to Wei for the most part.

Edit: There's also a brand new trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... LIiO1DKz_M

I don't have time to watch every frame right now but Lu Bu looks like he's going to be as badass as ever. The movement of the horses looks awesome!
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:12 am

Lost wrote:
Edit: There's also a brand new trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... LIiO1DKz_M

I don't have time to watch every frame right now but Lu Bu looks like he's going to be as badass as ever. The movement of the horses looks awesome!

It does look really good, I've not been letting myself get excited about it but it does look like a massive improvement!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lost » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:41 am

I've seen some people worried about clone weapons. I admit it is a shame we wont have Claws or Tonfa's in this game but I think it will be completely worthwhile if the new gameplay and story mechanics all come out polished and unique.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:08 pm

I really don't count Zhu Rong as Shu.

I don't have issues with novel based (Diao Chan is a character I really enjoy, Zhu Rong is fun) or opera based adds as long as they are good adds. The three recent Shu fictional ones to be honest feel more like Guan worship, a lot of recent Shu additions have been based around Guan Yu, too many. Guan Suo and BSN are apparently quite good in the operas but they are barely used (I actually like BSN in 7's conquest mode but she very much felt like an add they had no idea what to do with). Most of the Guan related figures are somewhat hampered by an overcrowded field and that the Guan family overtakes whatever potential they have as characters. They could have been helped by being phased in more gradually (or thought through at least before being added) and space used for other areas like latter Shu or fleshing out early Shu or a dark side of Shu

On the new looks:

Guo Jia: Not a huge fan of colouring scheme of clothing, blue is a tad wrong for me, but I like the little scruffy detail at the neck and generally a nice but not special look. Will take me time to adjust to the face though 6/10

Zhou Tai: Is Zhou Tai. The armour I have come to expect, sense of power in arms, nice little gold and red details in the clothing 7

Guan Yiping: I really like the boots, very good mix of green and red. Skirt could be longer but otherwise a decent costume, mixing her colours well, nice little details. Again, having to adjust to new face 6

Sima Yi: Feels like the costume is trying to do too much, so many shades of blue and purple+ gold, some nice details and the hat brings back memories, maybe if they toned down the sleeves it would work better? The big problem is Sima Yi, master strategist and father, looks like a boy playing dress up with that youthful face. 5
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Lost » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Hey Dong Zhuo, I've noticed most of your scores range between 5-7. How would you say you feel about all of the skins released, so far, overall?
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Lost wrote:Hey Dong Zhuo, I've noticed most of your scores range between 5-7. How would you say you feel about all of the skins released, so far, overall?

I've noticed ol' Dongy takes the same approach when he's rating films as well :lol:.

Zhang He and Lu Bu are the sole, proud recipients of an 8/10 score from him!
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lost » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:28 pm

Well I haven't seen his movie reviews but I'll definitely check them out. I guess no one is immune to Lu Bu's awesomeness although I'm a bit surprised to see Zhang He as the only other one deserving of an 8.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:02 pm

If a film is that bad, I'm likely to leave it so it rarely gets to rating time and I'm rarely in love with something so much it pulls me in so an 8 or above is rare

Overall I struggle with the changes to faces but I tend to be pretty conservative on change, I dislike taking armour away from the ladies though as putting Xing Cai and Wang Yi in something more "feminine" feels wrong of them. Some of the restraint on the male costumes has paid off well though it does tend to mean there isn't something fantastic either
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training