Dynasty Warriors 9

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:03 am

So I'm curious who all are the Shu officers that are unique and show up in the post-234 years?

I know in prior installments it was Liu Shan, Xing Cai, Jiang Wei, Ma Dai, Yue Ying, Guan Suo, and Guan Yinping along with Xiahou Ba once he defects. Is it pretty much the same this time around or did they change it around at all? I could imagine it being all of them again with Bao Sanniang and Xiahou Ji being possibilities as well.

Also is Ding Feng the only unique face for Wu that shows up in the later battles in this game? I know Lian Shi used to show up past her death date as well.

I guess my final question is, do you know how they treat Zhu Ran in the game? Like do they have him act as more of his novel self where he is Zhao Yun fodder at Yi Ling or his historical self who lives longer to become one of Wu's best generals and commander of all of their armies.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:35 am

Lady Xiahou is, thankfully for my sanity, not present at all in Later Shu.

They are all the playable characters that show up, but plenty of generics have unique actions and dialogue from Fei Yi to Huang Hao. Luo Xian got love and that made me smile, because he's probably the most underrated man of the era.

Ding Feng gets to hang around Zhu Yi, Zhuge Ke, Teng Yin, Lu Ji and a plenty of other generics. Bu Lianshi now dies at her proper death death.

As for Zhu Ran I have only seen him once, at Fancheng. While he stll mentioned a fire attack, it wasn't his entire character. He seemed like a valiant, youthful general. He and Cao Pi kind of hit it off too... As far as I am aware he does not die at Yiling, but I haven't played as Shu or Wu during that time to know so please don't hold me to that. I hope for his sake it's far closer to the real guy. I'd kill for his incredible defense during Cao Pi's Great River Campaign.
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Assistant

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:02 am

With individual stories making a return this game could really use and could finally successfully implement more later era characters. We could really use people such as Liao Hua, Wang Ping, and Zhang Yi for Shu and Zhuge Ke, Zhu Yi, and Sun Luban for Wu.

Well I'm hoping that if Zhu Ran and Cao Pi had some sort of special interaction at Fan Castle that it's hinting at a future showdown when Cao Pi invades Wu. If they kill him off at Yi Ling that would be a massive waste and disrespect to his character. Also super glad to hear he's not some annoying fire pixie like he was in DW8XL. I tried my best to like him because his historical counterpart is so awesome but his character and moveset irked me too much. Glad it's fixed at least somewhat.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Han » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:18 am

Are there any other add ons on ps4 excluding season pass?
Liu Bei did nothing wrong.
Han
Sage

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:59 am

Han wrote:Are there any other add ons on ps4 excluding season pass?

Nothing exclusive to the PS4 itself. There are preorder costumes, but the Xbone and PC get those. (PC gets them on launch)
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Assistant

Unread postby Han » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:56 am

Nothing exclusive to the PS4 itself. There are preorder costumes, but the Xbone and PC get those. (PC gets them on launch)

Thank you very much for your quick reply DaoLun. And thanks very much for sharing Zhong Hui Chinese Dub Ending by the way.

To those that own the game:

How do we unlock red hare and other mounts.

There seems to be an 'animal' slot. Is it for a special mount or an allied animal to help you fight.

Are mounts, materials, accesories, gold and weapons shared accross all characters?

Are there any reasons to do requests? They seem to be repititive, annoying and the rewards doesnt seem worth the time, especially if one plays on a higher difficulty.

Has anyone used the hideout system yet? If yes, what are the benefits of using it?

How does the weapon system upgrade work? Is there even a need for it if one plays on the easier diffculty levels aka beginner to normal?

Is fishing useful and fun or an annoying and useless minigame.

Is there a need to waste attributes on upgrading arrow stats. It seems redundant and useless bar the arrow trophy.

Can Liu Bei and Cao Cao use Red Hare, if not when do they unlock their own special mount?

How does safe file works? Are there multiple and unlimited for one character? Or multiple but limited for one character? Or one per character? Is there an autosafe function?
Han
Sage

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:18 am

How do we unlock red hare and other mounts.

From my understanding red hare is unlocked in Lu Bu's story. The others, named ones I am assuming, probably are the same way. Better horses are bought and trained in combat or riding.

There seems to be an 'animal' slot. Is it for a special mount or an allied animal to help you fight.

As are as I know, it's only horses.

Are mounts, materials, accesories, gold and weapons shared accross all characters?

All characters, yes. But the gems you put in weapons have to be switched. If you swap between two characters, always remember to reequip what you have if you put it on a new character.

Are there any reasons to do requests? They seem to be repititive, annoying and the rewards doesnt seem worth the time, especially if one plays on a higher difficulty.

Money, sometimes healing potions which you ALWAYS need. They're typically smaller things anyways. Nothing too bad.

Has anyone used the hideout system yet? If yes, what are the benefits of using it?

Cooking food buffs, getting character relations higher (not sure the purpose aside from RP. I like it though), more fast travel locations.

How does the weapon system upgrade work? Is there even a need for it if one plays on the easier diffculty levels aka beginner to normal?

I'm not sure how the system works, I've been more focusing on the story. However normal is actually a challenge now. AI in one on one fights typically reacts far more.

Is fishing useful and fun or an annoying and useless minigame.

Useful for getting mats for cooking, which gives food buffs. It's just a quick cast into the water, wait two seconds and you catch something. It's nothing like, say, Monster Hunter in which you have to time it.

Is there a need to waste attributes on upgrading arrow stats. It seems redundant and useless bar the arrow trophy.

Arrows have been a big help, however I haven't used any upgrades in them. Ive mostly upgraded speed. Makes travel and attacks way faster. It's probably broken. But don't tell KOEI! it makes terrible characters tolerable ;)

Can Liu Bei and Cao Cao use Red Hare, if not when do they unlock their own special mount?

Once you unlock it, I believe any character can use any horse.

How does safe file works? Are there multiple and unlimited for one character? Or multiple but limited for one character? Or one per character? Is there an autosafe function?

Characters don't share saves anymore, meaning if you play Lu Meng and you want to stop and, for whatever reason, play Zuo Ci you can. And your Lu Meng save will not be overwritten any longer. You can play every single character at once if that tickles your fancy.
DaoLunOfShiji
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:48 am

I know you've said on your tumblr DaoLun that you can't play as characters until they join their kingdom, so for example no Zhang Liao during the Dong Zhuo compaign. Is that also true for characters after they leave their kingdom? I'm thinking specifically of Xiahou Ba - can you use him in later chapters as a Shu character?
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Han » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:24 am

DaoLun!!! Thanks for your quick reply once again!

God bless you!!!

:D

More questions:

Is Red Hare noticably better than other horses? Like in previous games, Red Hare seldom slow down, always have the highest speed and have one of the higher attack stats.

How long does it take to train your mount on average, do they have different stats and different ways to train them?

For weapons, accesories and gems, do you recommend us to spend money on them early, or save up for later chapters, or just mostly use it on consumables?

Is the quest rewards sufficient? Excluding side quests and requests.

Are the Shu characters still as annoying as ever. Like do they still go around screaming benevolence? And do people still call Guan Yu God Of War while his running away like a puss? I always cringe whenever I hear that stuff. I mean, I like Guan Yu, but that God Of War thing is soooo out of place.
Han
Sage

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:58 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I know you've said on your tumblr DaoLun that you can't play as characters until they join their kingdom, so for example no Zhang Liao during the Dong Zhuo compaign. Is that also true for characters after they leave their kingdom? I'm thinking specifically of Xiahou Ba - can you use him in later chapters as a Shu character?

I am not certain on Xiahou Ba, but I have to imagine the same rule does apply. He does get a lot of time in Wei/Jin though so at least that is good for him. There is certainly nothing stopping you from doing so in free mode if the main story stops yoiu though. I am not certain if free mode replaces the Xiahou Ba in the game with you, or if it's like DW8 in which there are 2 running around. I really hope it's not the second option.

Han wrote:DaoLun!!! Thanks for your quick reply once again!

God bless you!!!

:D

More questions:

Is Red Hare noticably better than other horses? Like in previous games, Red Hare seldom slow down, always have the highest speed and have one of the higher attack stats.

How long does it take to train your mount on average, do they have different stats and different ways to train them?

For weapons, accesories and gems, do you recommend us to spend money on them early, or save up for later chapters, or just mostly use it on consumables?

Is the quest rewards sufficient? Excluding side quests and requests.

Are the Shu characters still as annoying as ever. Like do they still go around screaming benevolence? And do people still call Guan Yu God Of War while his running away like a puss? I always cringe whenever I hear that stuff. I mean, I like Guan Yu, but that God Of War thing is soooo out of place.

Red Hare is the top dog still. Fastest, strongest, can sprint the farthest.

Mounts can train very quickly as long as you aren't fast traveling constantly. They level up pretty fast. I think a horse has gone from 1 to 40 something in maybe an hour and a half? Horses have different stats when you buy them, similar to the games since DW6. Some are better at hitting enemies, some are faster, some have better adrenaline. the Speed stat on your character also increases mount speed.

If you're playing on a harder difficulty it's probably wise to get as many healing potions as humanly possible and then upgrade your weapons. Money isn't hard to come by, so you shouldn't be starving for yuans.

Quest rewards, like main quests or subquests? They can reward mats, consumables, experience and a hefty amount of gold. If you mean like if you're for example invading Shu as Jin, is it worth going out of your way to find Xu YI and build his bridge? Absolutely. Or a main quest like capture Yangping gate; also absolutely. The smaller requests in town are needed but they do help out with extra cash and some times give bonuses in battle. There's a quest in Shu that involves convincing Qiao Zhou the northern campaigns are worth it, and if you do that through a serious of small side quests, he shows up with reinforcements, thus tipping morale in your scale.

Shu characters seem far more bearable. Some like Zhuge Liang and Jiang Wei still do talk about benevolence, but it's not 24/7. The kind of... crazy part that I didn't expect is that if you play as Late Shu and you watch after Zhuge Liang dies, it seems like the younger generation is all kind of brain washed. Liu Shan, in a sad turn of events, knows that the invasions are not the proper way to end the fighting. But they are all driven by the outdated dreams, but Liu Shan cannot speak up. It's really sad... but he still does try to help them when available. There's a good amount of nuance believe it or not. I like it. Guan Yu's God of War thing isn't shoved down your throat 24/7 anymore. At least not as the enemies like Wei and Jin. No idea about Shu though.
DaoLunOfShiji
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training