Dynasty Warriors 9

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:01 pm

Yuan Tan would be nice, I believe he fought against Tian Kai in Qing for a while. That can be its own mission for a Yuan faction battle. They would have to stick in more Gongsun Zan officers to make the level more interesting but it could work. Have Liu Bei and company there helping Tian Kai, perhaps even Kong Rong and Taichi Ci to make it interesting.

After Yuan Shao dies have a battle where you struggle against Yuan Shang and have Cao Cao rescue you and help you win. After that not too sure.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:03 pm

Sun Fin wrote:In my opinion the issue with expanding Yuan Shao's force is that to do it properly they'd need to do Gongsun Zan. He is Yuan Shao's primary enemy in tons of his battles.

I think Dong's point is that Wen Chou and Yan Liang were largely non-entities in history. They are only built up in the novel to make Guan Yu seem more impressive. He is saying that if they are going to add Yuan figures he'd rather they picked genuinely significant figures like Shao's sons or the other people he mentioned!

Oh I know what he meant, those 2 I mentioned were the first 2 I thought of when trying to think of who worked for him and could actually fight, but even the people they have added to the game, not all of them were significant, so I'd be ok with them adding any of those you both have mentioned.

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:Yuan Tan would be nice, I believe he fought against Tian Kai in Qing for a while. That can be its own mission for a Yuan faction battle. They would have to stick in more Gongsun Zan officers to make the level more interesting but it could work. Have Liu Bei and company there helping Tian Kai, perhaps even Kong Rong and Taichi Ci to make it interesting.

After Yuan Shao dies have a battle where you struggle against Yuan Shang and have Cao Cao rescue you and help you win. After that not too sure.

Who do you think from Gonsun Zan they could add? Zhao Yun probably could be in there, but as far as unique characters? I do like the idea about Yuan Tan though. My favorites from the game to play as were always Wu and Lu Bu, but grew to like the somewhat more villainous Jin in the later games, but was just trying to think of some ways to add a bit more to some of the other factions so they could have a couple of more battles or scenarios to play through.
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:12 am

No one will be added for Gongsun Zan, he lasts too short of a time and did too little to warrant being included. I mean would be nice if they added leaders and a few officers from every faction but that realistically will never happen.

If in some fantasy land they did, then Gongsun Zan himself of course, Tian Kai, and Yan Gang would be the biggest to put in. Shan Jing and Gongsun Xu would be good later additions. Other then that, cannot think of any worthwhile additions.

In an expanded Yuan vs Gongsun scenario we can have a mission where Gongsun Zan and Gongsun Yue first join up and go on the offensive against Yuan Shao. The battle can start with Gongsun Zan's forces taking out several of Yuan's positions, then Cao Cao can arrive and defeat Shan Jing breaking Gongsun Zan's momentum allowing Yuan Shao's forces to win the battle. It will give another battle and still show Cao Cao being the best there is :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:57 am

The most likely result for Gongsun Zan is that Koei releases a Rulers pack which includes him.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:56 am

If I made a Gongsun Zan faction I would create Tian Kai and Gongsun Yue along with the sworn brothers and Zhao Yun.

But ideally you would want to introduce the Lu brothers who killed Gongsun Yue, a Wuhuan leader and Liu Yu to give Zan more battles.

I think a leaders pack with Gongsun Zan, Liu Biao, Yuan Shu, Liu Zhang and Ma Teng would be a great idea!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:11 pm

Didn't Yuan Shao have pretty much the biggest force before his fight with Cao Cao? Or at least one of the largest? It does seem a bit weird for him not having anyone else that can be in his force, I guess you can put Zhen Ji and Zhang He in there for a bit at first, but still it would be ok to have 1-2 more people exclusively in his force.

What do you think is bad about the faces? I think the girls look pretty good so far with the ones that have newer looks, Zhang Chunhua, Yue Ying and Yinping have been my favorites for the new looks so far, and Sun Quan's face keeps reminding me of Lu Bu.

Yep and it would be good to have Yuan Shao's faction expanded to figures like Shen Pei, Yuan sons (bar Xi), Qu Yi and the story of his rise then sad decline then the collapse of his able sons. Plus Gongsun Zan (only add of his that I feel might work is Tian Kai) to provide the main opposition as some potentially awesome battles (battle of Jie bridge, the final siege and others)

Honest answer, I'm not sure quite what doesn't work for me, I think just a case of adjusting.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:44 am

I wish they would add more Others characters but it seems like the only way it will ever happened, and the only way it has happened in the past, is if fans drag Koei to do it. I remember Suzuki saying in an interview that they originally didn't want to add Chen Gong and had no intentions of doing it until they saw that he won the second "most wanted character" poll which gave them no other choice but to add him. So unless people start voted en mass for people like Gongsun Zan, Li Jue, Yuan Shu, etc. in the inevitable poll following DW9's release than we'll likely never see any of them, which is sad.

However, take this with an extreme grain of salt, but there has been a rumor going around, apparently coming from one of the leakers, that Yuan Shu is a UNPC in DW9. I am extremely skeptical about it, but hey, if it does turn out to be true I guess I'd welcome it over him simply being a generic again.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:56 am

Yuan Shu really needs to be added. He may have been incompetent, but several years revolved around Yuan Shu vs Yuan Shao, plus he did manage to go to war with pretty much everyone.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:21 pm

Yuan Shu would be highly popular within certain boards though I suspect not among wider audience. Would be potentially an excellent add given all he can bring to plenty of factions and characters stories though I fear a joke character that wastes potential
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby DragonAtma » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:33 pm

Understandable, but remember -- Liu Shan was living joke, yet Koei managed to make him a reasonable add.

So I'm sure Koei can find a way to add him without making him look like... err.... DyW Yuan Shao...

DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training