Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:31 pm

Oh I know the chances are slim to none. I was just thinking of ways they could include her if they ever decided to step beyond the novel.

I’ll just need to rely on Create A Warrior. :P
Jia Nanfeng
Initiate

Unread postby Valvatorez » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Yeah I don't think she would ever get added either, I just always liked her Blast design, the one in your avatar actually :mrgreen:

Other Blast characters I liked and hoped they would add at some point but probably never will would be Fan Yufeng, Dong Bai, Gao Shun, Wen Pin, and Xiahou Shi. Xin Xianyang would've been on that list too, but they did add her, so who knows, maybe there's hope for more in the future.
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:43 pm

DW Blast had some great designs

The Blast figures I would like to see: Bian Shi, Cao Jie, Wen Pin. Almost tempted to say He Qi just for that costume, Yuanji (due to one love rule, not going to happen), Zhuge Ke, Lu Kang, Luban, Luyu, Wu Guotai, Zhu Huan. Maybe Huang Hao, Jian Yong, Liao Hua, Zhang Yi, Wang Ping, there is a strong case for Xiahou Ji but very strong reasons not to have her. Yang Hu, Guo Si, Li Jue (of the two, go for Li Jue), Huang Zu, Liu Biao, Wang Yun, Yuan Shu, Zang Ba, Han Sui and Ma Teng
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:06 pm

Last of the fairytale costumes

Wu:

Zhou Yu 5.5: Good idea but execution doesn't quite work, bare chest look doesn't feel right and it doesn't gel overall I like the nails

Lu Xun 6: Nice idea but colours don't work for me

Taischi Ci 6.5: Strong sense of power, awful helmet

SSX 7.5: I like the patterned tights and generally a pretty look

Sun Jian 6.5: General costume is fairly good with good mix of colours to go with black, the helmet doesn't work

Sun Quan 6.5: Crown needs a lot of work, costume flamboyant and a bit puffy but works nicely, good mix of colours and patterns

Lu Meng 7: Effective costume, nice idea which they work well, nice hat and ragged look, maybe needs a dash of something to make it sparkle

Gan Ning 6.5 on personal taste, 7.5: Certainly makes one take a second look, flamboyant with it's own style, it isn't my thing but I take my hat off

Huang Gai 6.5: Helmet needs work but sense of power, nice cloak

Sun Ce 5.5: I see what they tried but it doesn't quite work, I like the shirt but the look as a whole doesn't mesh and scowling is the wrong look.

Da Qiao 7: Nice dress, good colours, maybe does a bit too much

Xiao Qiao 6: If they could have avoided the puffy thing under the skirt, could have worked quite well

Zhou Tai 8: I love the crests on his armour, good armour and looks powerful

Ling Tong 6.5: I like the idea, the main suit works well but when one gets to top half, so much colour. Maybe lose the scarf?

Ding Feng 7.5: Good scar on top of head and went all out on this, I like the blue skin and the ragged edge to clothing

Lian Shi 6.5: Fine but a little toning down and better hat would have helped

=====

Shu:

Zhao Yun 6.5: Fine, just looks like a bit too much padding or clothes under his jacket

Guan Yu 7: Who knew the bearded one had such style? Good jacket and hat

Zhang Fei 7: Managed to keep enough similarity that he and Guan Yu go together while having a lot of variety for their own style

Zhuge Liang 7: Would be better without the fluffy pom pom's on the jacket. Meshes well

Liu Bei 6: Jacket and shirt colours don't mesh

Ma Cha 5.5: I'm feeling at this point Shu are being ill-served by the chosen theme. Design doesn't mesh at all, nice golden patterns

Huang Zhong 5: The yellow hurts my brain

Jiang Wei 6: I like the patterned trousers, look just ain't working for me despite some good patterns

Wei Yan 7: Not being helped by wrong choice of expression but good suit livened up by waistcoat

Pang Tong 5.5: The monkey aspect doesn't seem to suit rest of costume

Yue Ying 7: Not a fan of the hat but like the main costume, black works well with pretty patterns and nice bits of red items. Stylish

Guan Ping 6: Attack my gnomes! Looks nice enough but seeing it from the back so hard to tell

Xing Cai 6.5: That scowl does not help but feels like a pretty but... childish (the giant red ribbon in hair does not help) dress, nice colours

Liu Shan 4.5: What is he on? Just so ugly.

Ma Dai 5.5: So one has a very human chest, then animal gloves and a silly hat? Doesn't feel like it commits to the animal idea

Guan Suo 5.5: Feels like a cardboard cut it Suo with clothes added on him. Costume colourful but maybe a bit too busy

BSN 6.5: Nicely links with cardboard cut out of Guan Suo, hat doesn't work but rest of costume is fine.

=====

Jin

Sima Yi 7: I really like the individual pieces and the idea but it is trying to do too much, I do love the patterns and sense of style

Sima Shi 7.5: Makes a very good angel Gabriel, good mix of power and colour

Sima Zhao 6.5: Fine but don't warm to it

Deng Ai 6.5: Idea good and there is nothing particularly wrong with the execution, just not a fan of the execution.

Wang Yuanji 5: I find the top to be creepy for fighting in a battlefield. Good colours but less skin=more attractiveness might be an idea there

Zhong Hui 6.5: Nice idea, not sure it quite pulls it off in the chest area.

Zhuge Dan 7: Certainly stands out with Egyptian style, black and gold used for good patterns

Xiahou Ba 6: That background does nothing to help things but I like the fairy. I also like the vine pattern on the shirt but that turquoise green feels otherwordly and not quite in the way I think they meant

Guo Huai 8.5: Now there is a man with style! His pale features help for once, lovely mix of blue, gold, black and purple in a excellent pirate costume.

=====

Others:

Diao Chan 6.5: Good idea for a costume, a reminder that koei sometimes needs to remember that sexy can be done with most of skin covered, right pose selected yet I don't warm to it overall. Possibly too much details like so many flowers or the way the bodice is done

Lu Bu 7.5: They really need to consider if they headress is needed every time for Lu Bu with these kind of costumes. The suit is great, old fashioned, stylish, rich, good mix of red and gold to liven up the suit.

Dong 7: Have they considered outfits that flatter him? Needs a bit more colour but nice rust to his Tinman look

Yuan Shao 7.5: Take out the crown and it looks good, gives a sense of confidence and nice patterns on his... boxers? Shorts? Yellow works well here

Zhang Jiao 7: Not a huge fan of the colour scheme but a well thought through outfit with the straw, the ragged trousers and details

Meng Huo 6.5: Fine, I just don't warm to it

Zhu Rong 7.5: Not quite sure why this doesn't quite feel an 8 but Dorothy outfit is a good one, lovely blue and like what they have done with her hair.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:54 pm

I agree with a lot of your Blast choices as well, I used a lot of those pics to update the pictures in my rotk XI game, so have seen some of them a lot. I think Xiahou Shi does look cute in the game and could fit right in to DW, but yeah I can see why they would never add her as well. If you think Guo Si and Li Jue could be added, what about Wen Chou and Yan Liang for Yuan Shao? I mean, some characters could get added without being full blown characters you could play as, just better designed npcs, since a lot of characters could look good in the game without actually being full characters maybe.

As for the ratings, lol they really should remove Lu Bu's headdress in some outfits, and it does seem like some characters like Guo Huai just end up with better designs or things that suit them better than some others. And yep I agree with what you said about Diao Chan as well, in that the girls can look nice without being half naked as well. They seemed to have done this seeing the new outfit for Bao Sanniang, but I don't think the choice looks good at all. Looking at these again, I really do like Da Qiao's outfit from that list (even though I don't know the character she is portraying), but again still think she always has better outfits than her sister.
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:32 pm

The reason I tend to pick Li Jue and co is they extend Dong's story beyond his life and flesh out a new part of 3kingdoms story, would help other characters, have potentially good battles, Li Jue has a intresting personality. Yan Liang and Wen Chou don't offer any of that for me, I would like to see Yuan Shao's kingdom fleshed out but with figures like Shen Pei, Yuan Tan and Shang and so on
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:33 pm

I'm hearing something about BSN and Guan Suo relationship to be redone into more of a marriage?

Site has new photo's in gallery, a section on upgrading weapons like gems and new costumes

Pang De 7: At worst, armour glistens a bit too much but is a solid look, rich, powerful, good use of blue

Han Dang 6.5: Give the man a haircut! Or a comb! Nice idea for changing to more armoured feel, nice touch if the letters are his name though indicating he is going to be one tired note again

Guan Suo 5: The underclothing looks like it has a great pattern, the overcostume with low chest could work though seems uglier to me, combined they do not coordinate. Hat is poor

BSN 6.5: They have certainly revamped her, I'm not sure why I am having more difficult adapting to female revamped faces then males. I think the idea of the costume isn't bad, scarf could be a darker green, nice sandals, scarf on the head and hairstyle work well, good gloves, legs and sandals help sell an image. I don't think the main dress and the big circle at neck do not gell with the good smaller details

Zhang Chunhua 8: Lovely hairstyle, excellent cloud patterns in her clothes, nice boots
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:50 pm

Zhang Chunhua's outfit may be my favorite so far! (Somebody finally beat out Lu Lingqi's.) I love the dress and the boots.

I think Han Deng's outfit indeed says "Han". So he'll probably still be the "Notice me senpai!" character. To be honest, that really annoyed me in 8.

As for weapon upgrades, I was kinda hoping for Warriors All-Stars' card system. I felt like it was a good change of pace, but not a huge deal either way.
Jia Nanfeng
Initiate

Unread postby Valvatorez » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:09 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:The reason I tend to pick Li Jue and co is they extend Dong's story beyond his life and flesh out a new part of 3kingdoms story, would help other characters, have potentially good battles, Li Jue has a intresting personality. Yan Liang and Wen Chou don't offer any of that for me, I would like to see Yuan Shao's kingdom fleshed out but with figures like Shen Pei, Yuan Tan and Shang and so on

I understand, it's just some characters, even ones I named, don't even live that long enough to make a difference and would be killed off fast in the story, but I'd be ok playing as some of the lesser known type of characters that they probably will never add in. Speaking of characters that don't live long after the start, I just noticed they had Zhang Jiao on the site, I don't know when he got added since that was the first time seeing him and seeing the full body pic..wtf happened to his hair, is he sharing hair gel with Zuo Ci? :shock: I wonder how he moves in battle now...
Didn't Yuan Shao have pretty much the biggest force before his fight with Cao Cao? Or at least one of the largest? It does seem a bit weird for him not having anyone else that can be in his force, I guess you can put Zhen Ji and Zhang He in there for a bit at first, but still it would be ok to have 1-2 more people exclusively in his force.

What do you think is bad about the faces? I think the girls look pretty good so far with the ones that have newer looks, Zhang Chunhua, Yue Ying and Yinping have been my favorites for the new looks so far, and Sun Quan's face keeps reminding me of Lu Bu.
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:53 pm

In my opinion the issue with expanding Yuan Shao's force is that to do it properly they'd need to do Gongsun Zan. He is Yuan Shao's primary enemy in tons of his battles.

I think Dong's point is that Wen Chou and Yan Liang were largely non-entities in history. They are only built up in the novel to make Guan Yu seem more impressive. He is saying that if they are going to add Yuan figures he'd rather they picked genuinely significant figures like Shao's sons or the other people he mentioned!
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training