Dynasty Warriors 9

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:06 pm

Jia Nanfeng wrote:Koei’s Twitter said that there will be 90 characters. With the 83 returning from DW8E and the 7 newcomers, I guess we’ve got our roster.

Overall I think I’m happy with what we got, even though they are distributed unevenly across the kingdoms. I was hoping for at least one more Jin add but I’m happy Jin got XXY at least. 8-)

Koei also seemed to confirm that Yuan Shu would have a unique NPC model. So it’ll probably be similar to past games with unique NPCs wherein he’ll become a full character in the inevitable XL.

Would be a strange move with Yuan Shu. Maybe they are testing out the waters in main game and then, as you say, give him something in XL. Would love for him to be added

I feel with the (if we had XL and Empire addtions from 8) a mixed bag (I'm talking potential of course, they can always mess up a near certain hit and make a great figure out of little) if that is the roster

Wei has generally used their roster slots excellently, Xun Yu has great potential particularly as Han emperor has become a feature in recent stories, Man Chong and Cao Xiu build up into Cao Pi/Rui area which has been neglected and both offer a lot of potential there. Xun You on the other hand is one I would have taken out and given to another kingdom, he really risks being squeezed out in crowded area in an otherwise excellent selection

Wu: Alright. Two cover that mid-era but Zhu Ran is a complete waste with an unfunny idea (at least in godseekers, the other characters feel like they want to kill him), Xu Sheng doesn't excite me but is a solid pick. Cheng Pu I feel could get crowded out unless they expand early Wu a fair bit and even then. It is a fairly solid selection

Shu: Surprisingly few adds (probably not a bad thing) and oh dear with one of them. Fa Zheng has potential (though other figures I would have preferred for the role) as someone outside the goody aspect though would be better toned down, he is a welcome addition. Zhou Cang on the other hand , just no. Oh so very no. Guan Yu worship is becoming a real problem with Shu additions of late and Liao Hua does all he can offer and more.

Jin: Xin Xianying is an excellent potential addition if she turns up in Wei's story (as it were) too, long life, outside the Sima clan without being a "an enemy ergo incompetent" that the non-Sima loyalists get in Jin roster so could offer an outside perspective. Only one add is hugely disappointing as a kingdom that still needs fleshing out

Others: Nothing in main game would suggest XL is perhaps going to be the route for other characters to be added and given story. Chen Gong was fun, not so sure about Lu Lingqi

Will post scores of DW new civ tomorrow
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:21 am

The civ costumes

Zhang Liao 7: I love the costume, hate the face. Nice rich colours that meld, scowly face needs a better haircut and to smile

Zhen Ji 5.5: It feels like they changed her body and that makes it just seem off. Top half of costume feels fake and dislike the middle bit, there is a decent idea and colours there so within game it may look better.

Zhou Tai 6.5: Take out the hairband and this works well, simple looking but well patterned, good mix of red and black

Sun Jian 7.5: He feels like a man relaxed with the smile, the nice way his hair is done (maybe better without the hat?). Good robe, red with gold patterns and a bit of blue.

Zhang Fei 6.5: Fine, I don't particularly warm to it but he looks relaxed, is a decent and simple robe, nice to see him smile.

Guan Yu 5.5: Idea is perfectly good, nice enough patterns and like the hat but I simply rebel against the shade of green and yellow as it doesn't mix

Wen Yang 5.5: His hair being out does help distinguish him a tad. Not a good mix of colours with an ugly white and yellow/orangy belt

Sima Zhao 6: I love the crest but I think I have issue with Jin colours, purple belt and the light blue overcoat doesn't work for me

Diao Chan 5.5: Just me or is there something weird around the eyes? Not a fan of the haircut or so much pink
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:42 pm

I am once again disappointed with the lack of late period character adds especially for Shu (that should surprise no one :lol: )

Zhou Cang as the only new Shu-Han character is a terrible add as Dong Zhou implied we have way too many characters that revolve around Guan Yu. At least with Liao Hua they have more flexibility. He hung around Guan Yu too but his career went way past that as well.
Liao Hua could revolve around Guan Yu in the beginning but then grow as a character later on as his own person. He would have been a far better choice then Zhou Cang, sigh.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:38 am

With Fa Zheng hitting mid-era, I would have gone for one later era Shu add like Zhang Yi/Zhang Ni. Or Liao Hua since he covers 1) Turbans, 2) Guan Yu, 3) later era so pretty much everything they could want and more. Baffling, baffling call to go for Zhou Cang
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:09 pm

Zhang Yi would have been nice along with people like Wu Ban, or Wu Yi could have worked as they could have started fighting Liu Bei and then shown transitioning from being his enemy to his officer to serving his son.

I mainly like Liao Hua due to the fact that he can start at the very beginning and go until the very end of Shu.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:08 pm

Valvatorez wrote:And I actually hoped they would add some new people too for Jin, even Jia Nanfeng, I mentioned her earlier on here but she probably comes at a much later time, so overall I think most of the characters are good too.

I’d of course LOVE to have Jia Nanfeng, but I feel like they’d need to flesh out Jin/Others a lot more before adding her. Outside of Jia Chong being in the first half of her story (and I suppose she could join the battles against Wu, though she obviously didn’t irl), there just isn’t enough relevant characters to cover her second half. It’d end up with her against a bunch of generic NPC models! :P

She’d probably fit into an Empires title, though. Then they could either include her in the next DW without much story (though that’d probably annoy players, since she’d be like *gag* Zuo Ci), or they could have relevant adds and cover the Western Jin. I think most people would prefer many more late-Han and 3K characters before Western Jin though.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Student

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:03 pm

I would be surprised if Nanfeng ever gets added, she comes into her own in an entirely separate era of history. She is a very intresting figure but will need a Seven Princes game for her to appear
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I would be surprised if Nanfeng ever gets added, she comes into her own in an entirely separate era of history. She is a very intresting figure but will need a Seven Princes game for her to appear

Yeah I agree that DW would need to expand into the Eight Princes. If they ended on just Nanfeng’s involvement, people would wonder what happened next since she dies before any conclusion to it.

Maybe in DW10 the story will push up to 312. :P
Last edited by Jia Nanfeng on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Student

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:52 pm

In truth, I just don't see it ever going into Jia Nangfeng's life. Novel ends with Wu's fall, Achilles Fang ends fall of Shu, history tends to separate three kingdoms era from Jin ruling+it's collapse into two distinct era's. I'm not convinced DW will break that pattern
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:58 pm

I agree with Dong. Although I guess they might, someday, do a spin off about the war of eight princes if the Jin faction becomes popular enough.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training