Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:31 pm

I decided to vote for Shu cause as people might know, I am a little bit of a fan :lol:

So, naturally I went with Liu Bei (shocker I know) his characterization in the games kinda goes up and down sometimes being a bit too reliant on his people but occasionally taking a stand for himself and showing off true ability. Stll I am a sucker for the starting from nothing tale.

Liu Shan, Simliar reasoning to Dong Zhou, Koei could have gone in several different routes for his characterization but they went with the kind ruler who is trying to fulfill the impossible dream of his father and I think it is just charming.

Jiang Wei, To be honest while I am fine with his characterization I mainly just want more generals from the latter period. If Liao Hua was there I would have probably picked him but I feel that characters like Jiang Wei, Guan Xing, and Zhang Bao get so little use as there are so few missions where they are actually available.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:05 am

As my mother always says, someone has to love the unloveable :wink:

I'll be curious as to how the open world and it's.... ten stages (I think) impact Jin and latter era Shu. In Kingdom mode, latter Shu kind of became Jiang Wei and Liu Shan with it very much from Jin's view so whether they can get around that now. Jiang Wei benefited from expanding to latter Shu, went from an out of place Zhuge Liang worshipper (leading Liang to fake his own death to escape Jiang) to someone at the core of the story, a man whose desperation and memories of the past drove him to destruction.

I'm not sure I hate any DW character but Liu Bei drives me to anger sometimes. There are nearly always flashes of what could be, he suddenly comes alive near his end usually, become the charismatic, human figure I want him to be. I always remember DW7 playing Shu mode (having enjoyed Liu Bei in Wei and Wu's mode) at same time as watching Merlin and remembering how much I preferred King Arthur becuase one felt human and one couldn't, one inspired me with a valiant speech and the other made me wish to advocate against benevolence. Too often for me, he becomes a stiff, slogan wielding robot (sometimes with no brain) rather then a human leader
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:40 am

Koei does have a problem with the portrayal of Liu Bei I do agree. He becomes a broken benevolence record with the occasional flash of a good character. Depending on the game Sun Quan actually is better portrayed as the kind leader of the people. I still can't dislike him, my bias is too strong :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PeanutButterToast » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:29 am

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:Koei does have a problem with the portrayal of Liu Bei I do agree. He becomes a broken benevolence record with the occasional flash of a good character. Depending on the game Sun Quan actually is better portrayed as the kind leader of the people. I still can't dislike him, my bias is too strong :lol:

It's cool. I also like him. My favorite portrayal of him was the 2010 series, because I felt it showed his struggle with balancing benevolence with doing what needed to be done. I wish Koei would take some lessons from the series and flesh him out a bit better. Who knows? Maybe this game is the one.
PeanutButterToast
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:54 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:Koei does have a problem with the portrayal of Liu Bei I do agree. He becomes a broken benevolence record with the occasional flash of a good character. Depending on the game Sun Quan actually is better portrayed as the kind leader of the people. I still can't dislike him, my bias is too strong :lol:

Who is Sun Quan? Is that wall of drying paint that replaces Sun Ce? :wink: My tastes towards the anti-heroes/darker heroes means Liu Bei done right would probably still lose to Cao Cao but I would love koei to do him right, he could be awesome.

Wu poll up

my votes
Sun Jian: Used to be Sun Ce as my fav or the two good DW Wu leaders (let us not speak of Sun "wrestles tigers so let's make him bland" Quan) but in recent games, Sun Jian has taken the edge. Charismatic, good leader, links well with those around him and his family.

SSX: Enjoyed her in the early games as the fiery princess but became a bit one note till they decided to go with Liu BeixSSX marrige as part of her story. She feels like a human again, with passion and fire, with love for her family, her romance with Liu Bei tends to be amusing. Her vanishing once married is infuriating though

Ding Feng: Who doesn't like poetry? When it works, it brings a smile and it hints at a future where latter Wu turns up.

Almost for Sun Ce and Lu Su.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:22 pm

I voted Sun Ce, Taishi Ci and Zhou Tai. Can't imagine that's much of a surprise :lol:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:02 pm

With Wu, I have few characters I like but I do love the sense of family (when not overdone like some pre 7 games)

Koei's site now with a listing of first ten chapters/scenario's of story and new models: Xun You, Xiahou Yuan, the Qiao's, Zhang Fei, Zhuge Liang, Lu Lingqi

Xun You: Not bad but struggles to shine. Nice blue robes with golden detail, I like what they try with the collar and bits of armour peeking out but it just doesn't quite knit into something special. Face is unremarkable 5.5/10

Xiahou Yuan: Costume itself isn't an issue, the golden helmet, the mix of blue and gold armour+robe mixing well, it feels very Yuan. The problem is the smile feels very unYuan, this is a character who is the amiable, light-heart of early Wei to balance the others but he now seems so very stern. 5

Xiao Qiao: I have never been a big fan of the orange and remains the case, a nice dress, like the shoes and green collar and she feels older which is welcomed 6.

Da Qiao: I like the hair, again the feel that she is older then before, good... tights and collar but the dress has too many colours and it doesn't mesh. 6

Zhang Fei: Like Xiahou Yuan, I like the costume but prefer the old face only not so bad. Real sense of power in the arms and chest, nice stomach protector and green robe. I get the stern face but I miss the hint of a gentler side of his old face and find it a bit ugly. 6

Zhuge Liang: Calm, in command, authoritative. Feels like a return to old style with the hate and the symbols on the robe but nothing wrong with that, enough little details like the purple sash and the golden shoulders, the green around the sleeves to combat the white. 7

Lu Lingqi:She really should get some covering for those thighs! I see what they are trying to do but it is too much gold, the headband, on the shields, boots, all over the armour, it leads to detail overload for me and doesn't contrast well with the white. 5
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:14 pm

For the popularity poll I voted for:

Wei
Xiahou Dun, Li Dian, and Jia Xu (with runner ups being Yu Jin and Cao Pi)

Wu
Ding Feng, Ling Tong, and Zhou Tai (with runner up being Taishi Ci)

Shu
Xu Shu, Ma Dai, and Zhang Bao (with runner ups being Ma Chao, Guan Xing, and Fa Zheng)

Jin
Wen Yang, Guo Huai, and Sima Zhao

Others
Lu Bu, Yuan Shao, and Chen Gong
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:03 pm

My others vote:
Lu Bu: I tend not to go for his type of characters I admit but I like Lu Bu's fatal arrogance and his romance with Diao Chan has been a highlight of DW for me. Also fond of the DT Lu Bu.

Zhu Rong: Full of fire and arrogance, a moveset that felt just that bit different, yet softened (just a tad) by Meng Huo

Diao Chan: By herself, possibly wouldn't be here (then again, neither would Lu Bu I suspect) but she has a nice personality that provides both a contrast and a compliment to Lu Bu, including that it doesn't always end well for the duo.

Was cointoss between Meng Huo and Diao Chan but Meng Huo irritates me a tad at times, despite his sweet oafishness.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Lost » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Hey, I'm back from a holiday. I was surprised to see Lu Lingqi now has the sword and shield! I'm not sure I like Zhuge Liang with his old hat back but it might grow on me.
Lost
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training