Dynasty Warriors 9

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:24 pm

I know to a degree battles will be repeated. For example I know that if I play Cao Ren and then play Xiahou Yuan battles will be similar for the most part. However, I hope there is some feature implemented that would prompt me as Cao Ren to not be forced to go to Hanzhong and fight in that campaign and instead stay in Jing for the battle of Fan Castle to occur. I hope there isn't a blanket across the board thing where if your character was alive during a certain battle that means in order to advance the story you have to go beat it. I don't want to play every single Wei battle my character was alive for, if he didn't have anything to do with the battle I hope it doesn't make me go fight in it as him. That would provide the variety I'm hoping for.

In addition, if characters did fight in a certain battle I hope they can make what each character must do in the battle different from others. For example, I know that for the Battle of Chi Bi I'll be able to play as Zhou Yu and Huang Gai, but I'm hoping that if I play as Huang Gai I'm supposed to take care of the fire attack while Zhou Yu wouldn't be tasked with doing that. Another example would be that for the Battle of Cheng Du if you play as Deng Ai you are prompted to enter from the mountains and surprise the Shu army while if you play as Zhong Hui you confront Jiang Wei in the central area.

Last thing is that I hope we are able to play through the careers of characters even before they joined their main kingdom. I hope if you play as Ma Chao you can play through all his pre-Shu battles and same thing for those like Zhang Liao, Jia Xu, Zhang He, Zhou Cang, etc. I hope the story doesn't just start when their service for the said kingdom began.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:54 am

I definitely agree with you Cao_Hong, that for me is the bare minimum! We've not had to fight every kingdom battle in each characters story since DW2. That would be a huge step backwards.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:00 am

Yeah no kidding, that would be torture. I'm a completionist when it comes to Dynasty Warriors so I'm hoping to get the endings for most, if not all of the characters. But if I'm gonna be forced to play all those battles over and over for every single character then forget about that ever happening, I'll unfortunately end up playing as my few favorites from each kingdom and then never touching the rest.

I can't believe it already but this game is coming out in roughly 6 weeks! I'm pumped. I haven't done it yet but I'm likely going to buy the treasure box edition so I can get the artbook, which is worth it to me because the designs are so good this time around, plus I'm hoping they have concept art for much of the landscapes and cities this time since it's open world.

Also, as a side not, I just uploaded my first Youtube video compiling all the characters in this game with their battle and casual outfits! I hope to upload some more cool DW related content in the near future. If you could go check it out if you have the time or inclination I would greatly appreciate it :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSOaYlc6eFE&feature=youtu.be
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:07 am

It has actually been confirmed that every character will have their own "special ending" according to the trailer that came out last month or so. As for what the "special ending" is... I can't be certain. Maybe it's historical endings for those that have them, and some kind of "meh" thing for those who don't. Say Deng Ai's end at the hands of Tian Xu and Wei Guan, but like Huang Yueying ends after the fall of Shu tending her husbands grave? Who knows. It wasn't descriptive at all.
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Academic

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:01 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:It has actually been confirmed that every character will have their own "special ending" according to the trailer that came out last month or so. As for what the "special ending" is... I can't be certain. Maybe it's historical endings for those that have them, and some kind of "meh" thing for those who don't. Say Deng Ai's end at the hands of Tian Xu and Wei Guan, but like Huang Yueying ends after the fall of Shu tending her husbands grave? Who knows. It wasn't descriptive at all.

I am really hoping that it isn't something small and dumb, but with so many characters I am betting I will watch each scene with a "is that it?" response. At the same time I am pretty sure I will force myself to beat it with every character just to see them all.....yes I know youtube exists but I am dumb when it comes to Dynasty Warriors games :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:26 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:
DaoLunOfShiji wrote:It has actually been confirmed that every character will have their own "special ending" according to the trailer that came out last month or so. As for what the "special ending" is... I can't be certain. Maybe it's historical endings for those that have them, and some kind of "meh" thing for those who don't. Say Deng Ai's end at the hands of Tian Xu and Wei Guan, but like Huang Yueying ends after the fall of Shu tending her husbands grave? Who knows. It wasn't descriptive at all.

I am really hoping that it isn't something small and dumb, but with so many characters I am betting I will watch each scene with a "is that it?" response. At the same time I am pretty sure I will force myself to beat it with every character just to see them all.....yes I know youtube exists but I am dumb when it comes to Dynasty Warriors games :lol:

I'm going to guess that, as you said, due to roster size there will probably be some people that get shafted when it comes to interesting endings. You can 100% guarantee someone like Zhao Yun will get every resource thrown at him for an incredible ending, meanwhile Guo Huai will be screwed and the whole thing will probably be 20 seconds long.
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:23 pm

19 seconds of it will be Guo Huai coughing :wink:

I suspect I will play through most of them as I always do. Open world, VA changes due to writers strike, return to 900 stories and yet really looking forward to it
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:47 am

I'll play through a good chunk of Wei and Jin, and then blah my way through some Wu and Shu.
I'm doubting it'll be present, but if Deng Ai's trip through yinping is in the game I am going to squeal like a little girl.
DaoLunOfShiji
Academic

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 am

Yeah we're down to less than a month to go and I can't wait to get my hands on this game!

I'll do my best to play through all the characters but I'll start with the 35 characters that already have their proper weapons and then move to the ones that are cloned, but are fitting clones(ex:Xiahou Ba with the great sword and Sima Yi with the fan). I'll likely stay clear of characters that just look super awkward with their cloned weapons such as Zhang Fei, Zhou Tai, Zhang He, Sun Ce, and Yue Jin until they are delconed at some point or another.
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:51 am

In case you haven't seen it yet here is a gameplay trailer that features several different methods of getting into a city/castle (this time Puyang under the control of the bastard of three fathers) with some Cao Xiu gameplay. It also features the fast travel, as well as auto run. It showcases how the battlefield shifts with the completion of tasks as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow2eaGhmtRk
DaoLunOfShiji
Academic

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training