Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:54 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Who are you voting for Dong? I went for Zhou Tai and Zhao Yun. Was tempted by Zhou Yu, Wang Yuanji and Zhang Liao though!

Cao Cao and Diao Chan though could have done a fair few with that second one. Kind of regret it now actually
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:59 pm

I forget how popular Cao Cao is on this board. I still think of him as the villain. :lol:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:50 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Cao Cao and Diao Chan though could have done a fair few with that second one. Kind of regret it now actually

Under normal circumstances, Diaochan could very likely have been my second vote, but I don't like her new design at all.

Sun Fin wrote:I forget how popular Cao Cao is on this board. I still think of him as the villain. :lol:

Hehe, I still think of him as the villain in DW too, but he's just such a brilliantly-realized villain, with great lines and delivery.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:14 am

We prefer "tragically misunderstood anti-heroes" thank you.

I think Cao Cao benefits from having to be central every game so never gets sidelined, he has long life, unlike other rulers he has long spell (early Sun's, Liu Shan, Sima's work but get less time) and the Sun Quan's/Liu Bei who should rival him don't seem to work. DW Cao Cao is intelligent, charismatic, sense of that ambition, links well with his officers, tends to have a good story
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:20 am

Some more haracter model updates: Sun Ce, Ma Chao, Jia Chong

Sun Ce: A good solid Sun Ce but without a bit of... ommph. A bit of the sense of charisma and warm smile while without tonfu's feels a litle odd. Still he looks good, the red, the gold decoration on chest, boots and shoulders, maybe tiger part of armour could be brighter. Weapon looks quite pretty 7/10

Ma Chao: Again fine but lacking a little something special, think too much gold is an issue and need more white/gold to balance it out. Does fit the mould but again, too much gold 6

Jia Chong HAS SEEN THE SUN!: I'm really glad they have worked on skintone. I don't like the hair but like the rest of it, the light blue clock wrapped nicely as a scarf, the little blue symbol hanging admist the black, nice use of silver to prevent costume being too black and blue at hem of clothing. 6.5
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:26 am

Sun Ce looks good but I still mourn for the loss of tonfa's. they were the weapon I was best with!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lost » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm also not a fan of Sun Ce losing his tonfa's.

On a different note, who do you think will be available to play from the start? With the new system I'm not sure if we'll see a return of unlockable characters or if we'll be able to chose who we play as from the start?

If we do have access to every character immediately, who do you think you'll want to play as first? On the one hand, it seems sensible to play as someone who survives for a very long time so that you can experience as many of the era's as possible, but on the other, there are characters like Sun Jian or Jiang Wei that I really like but are only relevant at certain stages of the story.

Right now I'm thinking of playing as Xiahou Yuan or maybe Cao Ren if they're available. They're characters I normally don't play too much and they cover a decent span of time. I am also wondering if perhaps it would be better to play as a Shu character early on since the three brothers traveled a lot in the early years if I'm not mistaken. They might be a better choice in terms of seeing everything the game has to offer.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:54 am

I suspect that you will have to start in Chapter 1 - The Yellow Turbans and you'll be able to use officers who were active in that era. When you complete it then you'll unlock any new characters who are active in chapter 2 (which I'd guess is about Dong Zhuo?). I have no reason for thinking it will be done like that other than that's how I'd do it.

If I can use any character to start it'll be Sun Ce. If it is how I've predicted then I'm not sure, maybe Zhao Yun if his around that early?
Last edited by Sun Fin on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:30 am

I'll probably pick the first Wei character it offers me unless the DW community has strong advice to pick someone specific first
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Lost » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:23 am

That's a good theory Sun Fin but it would mean they don't give us access to any Jin characters for a very long time.

I guess there's also the new characters to consider. Cheng Pu and Man Chong both appeal to me and Cheng Pu should be available early on theoretically.
Lost
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training