Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:46 am

It seems like they are doing that at least somewhat, example they have a clean shaven and a bearded Liu Bei
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby DragonAtma » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:49 pm

So they translated a Famitsu interview with Suzuki Akihiro on DW9.

Your thoughts?
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:14 pm

Koei polling western fans on fav characters per kingdom starting on 2nd

Not sure no prepicked difficulty mode will be popular, not sure it tells us much about the open world bar one can hell for leather or build up towards the final attack, seems like they are trying to evolve the moveset system and clearly still considering a fair few things. I still worry that if I play Liu Bei (for example) then why would I want to play as Guan Yu or Zhang Fei or certain others but I am excited for the game
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:43 am

Koei's first western fav character poll is out, on Wei at moment. You can select three
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Lost » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:57 am

It was tough but I ended up going Cao Ren, Jia Xu and Li Dian. So many to chose from though.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:02 pm

Went with Cao Cao and Jia Xu as my two clear favourites, hard choice for third but went with Wang Yi despite being tempted for Xiahou Yuan, Zhen Ji and Yu Jin

reasoning
Cao Cao: Helps he is the centre of the story with a long life, Douglas Rye gives a charismatic performance, intelligent thinker with a good and a bad side to him. One can see why characters are drawn to him and gets a good balance between being close to some and sometimes distant with others.

Jia Xu: I like his style and probably my favourite strategist, mixes well with Wei figures once he joins.

Wang Yi: This was a narrow choice between her and the ever affable Xiahou Yuan. Fun to play as, gets screen time, provides something a bit different with her drive of revenge within Wei ranks while not being too detached and avoiding being one note.

Almost went for (beyond Xiahou Yuan) Zhen Ji who I do enjoy but ends up so much in background, I like Yu Jin's calm, hard, authoritative persona.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:34 am

If, like me, you don't have a facebook account, you can access poll (got till 8th) by mobile and avoid having to log in (koei says that is deliberate) though won't be able to select ultimate winner

DW9 coming out on Steam and Xbox as well as PS4
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:28 pm

koei site updated with looks for the two Wei bodyguards, Ling Tong and Gan Ning, Guan Ping and Dong the awesome.

Xu Zhu: Xu Zhu: That club looks huge! I'm not a big fan of the hairstyle but otherwise looks good, looks powerful in arms and fat but not joke fat, nice shade of colours in the armour. 7.5/10

Dian Wei: I don't tend to associate him with a creepy grin that I don't think is meant to be creepy. The shade of blue/purple doesn't quite work in an otherwise decent if plain outfit, gold shoulderguard looks a bit too big in photo 6

Ling Tong: Looks light on his feet, face feels a little different. Looks nice, enjoy the little golden patterns on the jacket and the white/silver on the trouser leg, outfit suits him 7

Gan Ning: Glad they have taken out the blond tinge to his hair and good confident smirk. Outfit does feel very Gan Ning, the bare chest with the sense of muscles and tattoos, the richness of the gold on the red, good trousers. Not a big fan of purple belt but otherwise like it 7

Guan Ping: Tend not to be the biggest fan of his costume and that remains the case here, just not my style. The main costume is lovely, nice mix of green with golden dragons on tunic, a bit of armour. As ever it is the head for me, I prefer the change of hairstyle but I suspect the bandanna would look better without the gold 6

Dong: Feels a bit less of a joke then past but clearly not going to go for deep characterization here. I like the costume with the purple and gold colouring and dragon around the belly, swear I have seen the ladies picture before somewhere and think it looks nice but doesn't do much to slim him down. Not a fan of the ugly beard or the emperor hat with wings which looks silly. 5.5
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby PeanutButterToast » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:32 pm

Dang I swear Dong Zhuo gets fatter every game. Still looks great. Love the shades of purple and gold on him. Also, that's one terrifying flail he's got there.
PeanutButterToast
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:58 pm

Shu's poll is now being done

my votes
Liu Shan: I had been delighted and worried when he was announced, I thought his historical persona had a lot to offer but worried the novel route would be used. Instead they went for something completely different (I'm aware based on a awful revisionist theory) and I loved it. There was humour as he played the fool (Yue Yng's toys, wandering into Guan Ping's battle), he had some good relations, he was thoughtful about the events around him. When he talked of benevolence, it charmed and felt real in a way it never has with Liu Bei. I only regret we don't see him pre Liu Bei's death

Zhang Fei: I tend to find early and mid Shu robotic and flat with flashes of quality. Zhang Fei tends to avoid that, he has humour (which traditionally also worked really well with Pang Tong till 7), his being flawed and human, also helped humanize his siblings.

Xing Cai: The calm, firm warrior who tends to bounce off well with others like Zhang Fei, Liu Shan (particularly those two, a firm driving hand who knows their flaws and can be embarrassed by her loving father), Zhao Yun, Jiang Wei. I would like her to get a bit bigger a role

Almost went Jiang Wei who has become an intresting character since 7 as he struggles with his role and Xu Shu. I like Zhao Yun, the flashes we get of Yue Ying (I wish they would use her more), Yuanping shows promise.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training