Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Lost » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:40 pm

Lu Xun is definitely the highlight for me out of those shown. I actually kinda like the hat and overall think he looks better than DW8.

I agree Man Chong is underwhelming. It doesn't feel like there's a lot there to really make him stand out but maybe his personality will come out more during the story.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:22 am

Zhou Cang looks like he should be in Robin Hood Warriors :lol:.

I've always liked how SSX's costumes are more modest then most of the other women & this is continuing in that trend.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lost » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:18 am

I think I may have judged Man Chong too harshly yesterday. The hair really put me off but I actually do like the white and blue combo quite a lot. He's the person that invited Xu Huang to join Cao Cao I think so it makes sense that they share a colour scheme.

Also SSX is awesome, I just hope they don't make her story revolve around marrying Liu Bei this time around.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby PeanutButterToast » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:10 pm

Lost wrote:I think I may have judged Man Chong too harshly yesterday. The hair really put me off but I actually do like the white and blue combo quite a lot. He's the person that invited Xu Huang to join Cao Cao I think so it makes sense that they share a colour scheme.

Also SSX is awesome, I just hope they don't make her story revolve around marrying Liu Bei this time around.
For real. Sick of that plot line.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
PeanutButterToast
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:09 am

I'm fine with some romance (would prefer they rotated the direction of that relationship between happy, tragic, she makes him cry) but would help if she didn't vanish after marriage.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Lost » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:40 pm

Romance is fine but I heard they didn't really get along very well in real life and divorced quite quickly. I'd rather they reflected the side of the relationship if they do the story again rather than her defecting to Shu effectively.

Hell, according to Wikipedia she even tried to kidnap Liu Shan which, true or not, would make a pretty cool short mission.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby PeanutButterToast » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:42 pm

I'd like to see more fleshing out of characters. DW8 kinda made them cardboard again IMO. I liked the 2010 TV show's take on characters. It made them relatable and gave them depth. I'd like that in the next game.

Maybe some Bethesda style game elements like an equivalent of good/bad karma for actions you do with a character.

PeanutButterToast
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:10 am

Lost wrote:Romance is fine but I heard they didn't really get along very well in real life and divorced quite quickly. I'd rather they reflected the side of the relationship if they do the story again rather than her defecting to Shu effectively.

Hell, according to Wikipedia she even tried to kidnap Liu Shan which, true or not, would make a pretty cool short mission.

Separated rather then divorced but sure, historically Liu Bei was terrified of going to her bedchamber, Zhao Yun had to be imposed becuase her bodyguards created chaos and Zhuge Liang feared she was a spy. All before she kidnapped Liu Shan as she left.The novel has them as a love match who are separated by the evil wiles of Sun Quan
and she commits suicide on Liu Bei's death.

DW rightly draws on both sources so I would rotate koei's three options (happy marriage, tragic, hateful marriage).

PeanutButterToast wrote:I'd like to see more fleshing out of characters. DW8 kinda made them cardboard again IMO. I liked the 2010 TV show's take on characters. It made them relatable and gave them depth. I'd like that in the next game.

Maybe some Bethesda style game elements like an equivalent of good/bad karma for actions you do with a character.

I think the problem DW8 had was there were a lot of complaints from DW7 that, despite the strong characterisation, people were unhappy as their favs were left left out. So rather then being able to go "right and at Chi Bi, we concentrate on so and so so can build the battle story and cutscenes around him/her" it was "and they can choose one of 3-5 options which limits how much we can focus on them" and also meant they no longer had a core set for the stories.

I can't see good/bad reputation working for a DW style game
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Lost » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:16 pm

PeanutButterToast wrote:I'd like to see more fleshing out of characters. DW8 kinda made them cardboard again IMO. I liked the 2010 TV show's take on characters. It made them relatable and gave them depth. I'd like that in the next game.

Implementing a karma system would be a pretty dramatic change. The only way I can see it working is if they focus on a much smaller group of characters from each army and then spend a lot of time creating different hypothetical routes for them depending on which actions you take. Imagine if you could decide to leave Liu Shan behind at Chang Ban and he's raised by Cao Cao to be Shu's greatest enemy. It could be quite fun although it would require a lot of work and changes.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby DragonAtma » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:31 pm

Instead of a karma system I'd go with an affiliation system.

You help Sun Jian fight off yellow turbans? You gain some affiliation with Wu.
You help Dong Zhuo fight Han Sui? You gain some affiliation with Dong Zhuo.

Then, when something major comes up (such as the coalition against Dong Zhuo), which side you take depends on who you have more affiliation with (you get to pick if it's close). And if the player carefully balances things, they could keep two or even all three kingdoms available to them, even well into the three kingdoms period.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training