Dynasty Warriors 9

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:03 pm

Yes there is Chinese dub.

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:My thoughts on the game so far basically sum up as

The story presentation is exceptionally good. Everyone gets their moments to shine. Certain characters have been fixed and are no longer goofy as hell.

YAY! Better characters is always good (I can think of a few I look forward to being calmed down) and that they are providing little touches is excellent news, one big question had always been how will they make each character's version special.

While the regular soldiers aren't that difficult most of the time, situations like Wancheng are pretty damn tough.
Boss enemy Ai is very enhanced and certain people can 4 shot you if you aren't careful.

Fair enough

The world is gorgeous, there are some great side quests.

This is a victory for koei give expectations seemed low about the type of quests

Many historical anecdotes like Xu Huang and Bobo Bandits are mentioned and even fought.

Yay

If Jin isn't a big deal for you, it's a definite buy. Best game in the series.

Jin can go to hell as long as Liu Shan gets the proper praise :wink: This (and your twitter account) has dealt with most of my concerns, was still going to get it once it was on steam but this makes me excited.

I have tended to play games in English for fear of missing things but I get the impression going for Chinese dub with English subtitles may lead to be better voice acting so how difficult is to keep track of people speaking? It seems easy in the video's.

Less annoying daolun, more musing of my hopes. I'll be curious about Jin as people get longer on the game and a chance to play that, I am worried at the limited chapters. I'll also be interested to find out if the letter/visits thing is any good, I'm really hoping for good romances and really need for Shu to no longer a vortex of suck due to bad portrayal of Liu Bei and half the characters forgetting things like friendship, subtly and being human. I'm really hoping they fixed Shu becuase they could be a drag when it went wrong
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:23 pm

For Wei chapter 10 is Cao Pi's reign, chapter 11 is Cao Rui's. Chapter 12 covers the coup against Cao Shuang and right now I am at the invasion of Wu by Wei with the disaster at Lake Chao.

Xiahou Ba as his own motivations for leaving Wei for Shu, involving the death of Xiahou Xuan far sooner than it should've been but that confirms Lady Xiahou's add is entirely worthless. So that's nice. I enjoy being proven right.

The world is REALLY big... I keep forgetting how big it is. It took maybe 20 minutes to travel from Xuchang to Lake Chao. You can obviously use fast travel if you want. There is a "fog of war" so you cant travel to places you haven't been to, but the map uncovering isn't attatched only to a single character. If you play as, say, Yuan Shao and then choose to play as Sun Ce, the areas you were as Yuan Shao are uncovered as Sun Ce.

This far into the game and I haven't grown bored. I really enjoy it. First DW game in 7 years in which I can say that. So far it's the best in the series.

You can select formations in battle, and at Hanzhong one of the options was just "Xu Huang". I doubt it was intentional, but there is a quote in the SGZ from Xun You that's literally "Xu Huang can do it". No context needed. ALWAYS PICK XU HUANG!

This is the best game in the series so far. I'm REALLY enjoying Jin so far. Zhong Hui's new weapon is a blast. The Sima seem far more serious, excluding Zhao of course. It's really damn good.
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Student

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:37 pm

What do formations actually do?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:44 pm

It seems to dictate how the battle will play out. There are offensive, offensive [xu huang], defensive and neutral formations at Hanzhong.

With Xu Huang it offers special story dialogue, I think the others dictate how the AI acts on your side. Offensive and Defensive are obvious. They either attack or wait for the enemy to attack in a fortified spot. Neutral is the one I don't know about.
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Student

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:40 pm

So regarding chapter formatting is it chapter 10 start post Yi Ling and ends in 226, chapter 11 is around 226-240 or so, and the last 2 chapters cover the rest? Also would you say that despite Jin being crammed into such few chapters that they are still done properly without any major events or battles being skipped over?

Also how are character endings handled? Does every character get an ending cutscene or is it more of those SW4 style dialogues as an ending?

Also I guess my last question is, despite characters who served other factions apart from the main 3 kingdoms not having those portions of their careers playable in story mode, can you go back in story mode and fight those battles? For example, even though Zhou Cang isn’t playable in story mode under the yellow turbans, can you still go back in free mode as him and fight under the turbans?
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:57 pm

So regarding chapter formatting is it chapter 10 start post Yi Ling and ends in 226, chapter 11 is around 226-240 or so, and the last 2 chapters cover the rest? Also would you say that despite Jin being crammed into such few chapters that they are still done properly without any major events or battles being skipped over?

Chapter 10 would be Yiling for Shu/Wu, yeah.
11 goes from Cao Rui's
12 is 249-255
13 is 255-264 more than likely.

Also how are character endings handled? Does every character get an ending cutscene or is it more of those SW4 style dialogues as an ending?

Everyone has their own devoted end cutscene.

Also I guess my last question is, despite characters who served other factions apart from the main 3 kingdoms not having those portions of their careers playable in story mode, can you go back in story mode and fight those battles? For example, even though Zhou Cang isn’t playable in story mode under the yellow turbans, can you still go back in free mode as him and fight under the turbans?

I would assume so, as Zhang Jue is playable. Now I am not sure if you replace Zhou Cang or if it does the teerrible version in 8 in which there are two Zhou Cang's on the map. As for someone like Ma Chao or Ma Dai? I really don't know.
DaoLunOfShiji
Student

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:24 am

I have finished Zhong Hui's musou mode, and I seriously loved every second of it. The pure amount of detail that went into it is a thing of beauty.

If you were holding out, I suggest buying. The early stuff is terrific. The middle stuff is terrific. The later stuff is flawless. I can't say enough good things.

Playing it was a freaking treat.
DaoLunOfShiji
Student

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:45 am

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:Playing it was a freaking treat.

Reading your reviews has been a freaking treat. Well done.

I'm glad Koei was able to break the old formula and make something that's exciting again (wish they could have done that with the RTK series). I *might* just get it even if it only comes out on Steam for PC, and that's saying a lot given my intense hatred for Steam. :rangry:

The Xu Huang thing is amazing.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:03 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:It seems to dictate how the battle will play out. There are offensive, offensive [xu huang], defensive and neutral formations at Hanzhong.

With Xu Huang it offers special story dialogue, I think the others dictate how the AI acts on your side. Offensive and Defensive are obvious. They either attack or wait for the enemy to attack in a fortified spot. Neutral is the one I don't know about.

Thanks. Be intresting to see if there are any more characters that get a special formation moment

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:I have finished Zhong Hui's musou mode, and I seriously loved every second of it. The pure amount of detail that went into it is a thing of beauty.

If you were holding out, I suggest buying. The early stuff is terrific. The middle stuff is terrific. The later stuff is flawless. I can't say enough good things.

Playing it was a freaking treat.

Interesting, I know Jin is 1) your main interest, 2) where you very worried and even as you loved the game, you didn't seem hopeful. That you come out of it saying it is flawless is very surprising and exciting
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:42 pm

Interesting, I know Jin is 1) your main interest, 2) where you very worried and even as you loved the game, you didn't seem hopeful. That you come out of it saying it is flawless is very surprising and exciting

It was the fixing of the issues I had with 8, along with the amount of detail that went into it. Zhong Hui got all his time to shine during Zhuge Dan's rebellion, something 8 gave to Jia Chong. Pretty sure I squealed. THEN during the Conquest of Shu... Xu Yi and his bridge. Jiang Shu and Yangping. Hu Lie... THEN the final cutscene? I was sold forever. I'm going to replay Zhong Hui's story over and over.

OH! Jia Chong is up next... We'll see if the Conquest of Wu REALLY is in the game. ;)

If anyone wants to see it, here is Zhong Hui's final cutscene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUS9g_6GzRU
DaoLunOfShiji
Student

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training