Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:33 am

In the "Wei rebels are under Jin", I would suggest Dowager Guo to act as the face of Wei's fight against Sima family as well. Jin has a fair few personalities and generals left as DaoLun mentions
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby DragonAtma » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:47 am

Sima Fu would be interesting, as he's torn between his loyalty to Wei and his love for his family.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:16 pm

With so many good officers to pick from from every kingdom I am concerned about most of the end period officers barely given any spotlight.
To be honest I think an open world game would have been perfect for hypothetical scenarios, being able to move north with Wu would have been impressive with being able to actually visit new Wu control cities and bases. Perhaps DW 9 Empires can go in that direction but I doubt they will make that kind of massive deviation from that spin off :lol:
Plus hypothetical paths are the only way for my poor Shu-Han to not be the punching bags of the later missions :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:44 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:To be honest I think an open world game would have been perfect for hypothetical scenarios, being able to move north with Wu would have been impressive with being able to actually visit new Wu control cities and bases. Perhaps DW 9 Empires can go in that direction but I doubt they will make that kind of massive deviation from that spin off :lol:
Plus hypothetical paths are the only way for my poor Shu-Han to not be the punching bags of the later missions :lol:

I would like to think this is the direction the main series will move in if an open world style game proves successful.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:43 pm

That would be fantastic. Though I would love a Total War style game in the three kingdoms, with real time battles with armies and turn based strategy sections, though I think I will have to wait until Creative Assembly does that :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:50 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:That would be fantastic. Though I would love a Total War style game in the three kingdoms, with real time battles with armies and turn based strategy sections, though I think I will have to wait until Creative Assembly does that :lol:

I would love a 3K Total war game, but probably not as an entry in the DW series. :lol:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:17 pm

I've wanted a legit Three Kingdoms Total War game for a long time. Big downside though? I'd be 198 or so probably, meaning no Zhong Hui and Deng Ai... le sigh. :/

There is a Three Kingdoms mod for Medieval 2 Total War that is pretty great though.
"Since our eternal parting will come in a few days, I write this in a passion, to reveal my heart and to bid farewell to you, my prince."
https://daolunofshiji.tumblr.com/ - The other white meat.
DaoLunOfShiji
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:46 am

Total War 3kingdoms would be fun

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:With so many good officers to pick from from every kingdom I am concerned about most of the end period officers barely given any spotlight.

It is a concern. Ten chapters don't reach up to Jin but apparently more is to come, feels like attention and images are all on pre Jin.

To be honest I think an open world game would have been perfect for hypothetical scenarios, being able to move north with Wu would have been impressive with being able to actually visit new Wu control cities and bases. Perhaps DW 9 Empires can go in that direction but I doubt they will make that kind of massive deviation from that spin off :lol:

I don't know the feeling as a Wei-ist of this "punching bag" :wink:

I feel with 9 they are getting the system in place, adding Wei-Wu battles and then seeing how it goes down. If they keep with it, like they did with 8 adding hypo, they will then expand it.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:21 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:With so many good officers to pick from from every kingdom I am concerned about most of the end period officers barely given any spotlight.

It is a concern. Ten chapters don't reach up to Jin but apparently more is to come, feels like attention and images are all on pre Jin.

It'll always be a concern, sadly. Even the Romance titles do this crap. For some excruciatingly annoying reason KOEI thinks that anything after Wuzhang Plains isn't interesting so they pour their 'efforts' into anything revolving around Liu Bei and Cao Cao. We have two scenarios in DW9 that take place in the same year, Chibi. The most talked about battle that wasn't as important as Ruxu, yet it gets two scenarios. Yay... That's my biggest gripe with DW9. The later years are going to get shafted, despite it being honestly far more interesting than hearing about Liu Bei's virtuous Han benevolence and how the people love him!

I can't help but think the Jin crowd will get two or three scenarios. Sima Yi's time (Wuzhang-Wang Ling), Sima Shi's time (Dongxing - Guanqiu Jian) and then SIma Zhao's (Shu invasion of Wei - Conquest of Shu) time. I'm 99% sure we won't (ever) see the Conquest of Wu, sadly.
"Since our eternal parting will come in a few days, I write this in a passion, to reveal my heart and to bid farewell to you, my prince."
https://daolunofshiji.tumblr.com/ - The other white meat.
DaoLunOfShiji
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:30 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:It'll always be a concern, sadly. Even the Romance titles do this crap. For some excruciatingly annoying reason KOEI thinks that anything after Wuzhang Plains isn't interesting so they pour their 'efforts' into anything revolving around Liu Bei and Cao Cao. We have two scenarios in DW9 that take place in the same year, Chibi. The most talked about battle that wasn't as important as Ruxu, yet it gets two scenarios. Yay... That's my biggest gripe with DW9. The later years are going to get shafted, despite it being honestly far more interesting than hearing about Liu Bei's virtuous Han benevolence and how the people love him!

I can't help but think the Jin crowd will get two or three scenarios. Sima Yi's time (Wuzhang-Wang Ling), Sima Shi's time (Dongxing - Guanqiu Jian) and then SIma Zhao's (Shu invasion of Wei - Conquest of Shu) time. I'm 99% sure we won't (ever) see the Conquest of Wu, sadly.

I'm sorry to say that's because the majority of people don't agree with you. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I tend to lose interest after Liu Bei's death, even more so once Zhuge Liang goes to. By that point I don't find it overly dramatic because Wei/Jin winning is the only viable outcome.
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training