Dynasty Warriors 9

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Valvatorez » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:01 am

New trailer up..Nice to see some more of the gameplay, still wondering where Lian Shi is though and is that house decorating? :shock:
What do you guys think?

or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkkVzPvp5_4
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:53 pm

I like some of the scenic views and yes, does seem like you can decorate the house which is something I'll enjoy

Site has a section on powerful monsters that will be hard to kill (they look lovely though)

Nanman duo and lots of civ's. Main costumes first

Zhu Rong 8.5: I usually hate Zhu Rong's costume but enjoy the character. Hair and skin work well, good pose, the dark leather and tiger pelt make a good combination, good use of jewellery. Hopefully this doesn't mean I hate the character

Meng Huo 9: It is Meng Huo but they do it extremely well. Sense of power all over, gold and tiger pelts used correctly, the fur in the boots, the headress. Something a bit off about the hair though

Edit: Thanks CaoHong 14 for pointing out I missed 3

Li Dian 7: Mix of armour and cloth, both done quite well, good mix of blue and black

Lu Su 6.5: I suspect this will work better in game, some of the chest cover looks plasticy fake in photo. Love the arms with deep red, black and gold with a little purple wrapped around, good belt but I don't warm to colouring in top half

Huang Zhong 5: Too much gold, way too much gold, not so much doesn't mesh as overshadows dark green and white. I do hope they borrow the godseekers characterisation

====

Civ's

Li Dian 6.5: Perfectly solid look but I don't warm to something about it. Hair with that robe? The colour combo?

Cao Ren 6.5: Credit for the idea, it stands out but it is just a bit... dour? Solid grey, a weary face, it works but I'm never going to be a fan of it.

Zhang He 6: I see what they are going for but for a man of style and beauty, that purple top does not mesh with the white robe. Rich and decorative which suits him but they just need to rework a bit

Wenji 7: Solid, I think maybe something other then white might work with the turquoise?

Lu Su 7.5: Rich, I would change the shade to the top as it looks a little plasticy/fake, love the red and gold of the lower robe

Lu Meng 6: Not bad and has a nice pattern but the light pink and the faded gold aren't my thing

Sun Quan 7: Hair down, rich robe, lots of gold lining but not too much.

Ding Feng 6.5: Nice a fan of that shade, nice golden patterns on the edge, I feel he should have some poet's implement on him.

Huang Zhong 5: I love what they have done with the hair and the slightly ragged look to beard. Hate that sickly yellow shade, dark green and pink combo

Guan Suo 6.5: It's fine, decent colours, looks nice on him but I miss slightly miss the flowery flair of old and I'm not warmed to it

Ma Dai 5.5: I don't know if it is the hat or overkill of a good shade of green (it needs something to balance it off) or the style of robe but negative reaction to it.

Xing Cai 5: I feel the two greens don't quite gel together, I dislike the orange thing but I do like the belt and patches of gold. It also doesn't quite seem right for her

Zhu Rong 6.5: It's fine, a nice solid, plain robe with colouring that contrasts with rest of cast, feels loose, like the neck bit and the relaxed hairstyle. Just don't quite warm to it

Meng Huo 5: Out goes the sense of power, in comes sense of chubby, dislike the yellow and not a fan of the hairstyle. I like the flower pattern
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:11 am

Wow! 9 and 9.5 for the Nanman duo! I agree though, I think in particular it's the best Zhu Rong costume we've ever had!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:28 pm

I agree that this is the best Zhurong costume we’ve had. I particularly love the single-leg leather tights — it adds to the sass of her character.

I’m so happy the boomerang is back. That was the one character-specific weapon I was really hoping would stick.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Assistant

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Dong you forgot about the main costumes for Li Dian, Lu Su, and Huang Zhong! They were also revealed in the latest batch alongside the Nanman duo.

I think I can honestly say this is the most excited I've ever been for a DW game. The lighting is the best we've had, finally topping DW6's beautiful colors. The graphics in general are amazing and I'm shocked at the sheer scope of the world and draw distance. Finally no more cramped and corridor-like linear maps. The combat system looks so fluid and varied in terms of how you want to play, no more rigid and stale charge system we've grown accustomed to. The AI also looks to be significantly smarter and tougher than we've seen in a while which is awesome. Even the animals you can fight look unforgiving. The open world looks like it will provided for tons of replay value and freedom. There are the houses to choose from and decorate, all the landmarks to see, side quests with tribes, weapon building/material gathering to be done, fishing, hunting, etc. The roster is the largest it's ever been and all individual stories are confirmed to have their own ending, which is great considering how shafted so many characters have been since DW5. I could go on and on, but I'm just so happy to see DW finally take a huge leap forward and try something new. It's still early but things look really promising. This game could end up being exactly what DW needed to keep the series moving forward and introduce it to new fans.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Edited in Li Dian, Lu Su and Huang Zhong full costume scores to last post

Cao Hong 14 wrote:Dong you forgot about the main costumes for Li Dian, Lu Su, and Huang Zhong! They were also revealed in the latest batch alongside the Nanman duo.

Thanks. My problem was it did both informal (which had arrow pointing to) and formal (no such indicator) and of the non Nanman duo, I didnt't twig I hadn't done their formal. Please kick me on things like this in future

I think I can honestly say this is the most excited I've ever been for a DW game. The lighting is the best we've had, finally topping DW6's beautiful colors. The graphics in general are amazing and I'm shocked at the sheer scope of the world and draw distance. Finally no more cramped and corridor-like linear maps. The combat system looks so fluid and varied in terms of how you want to play, no more rigid and stale charge system we've grown accustomed to. The AI also looks to be significantly smarter and tougher than we've seen in a while which is awesome. Even the animals you can fight look unforgiving. The open world looks like it will provided for tons of replay value and freedom. There are the houses to choose from and decorate, all the landmarks to see, side quests with tribes, weapon building/material gathering to be done, fishing, hunting, etc. The roster is the largest it's ever been and all individual stories are confirmed to have their own ending, which is great considering how shafted so many characters have been since DW5. I could go on and on, but I'm just so happy to see DW finally take a huge leap forward and try something new. It's still early but things look really promising. This game could end up being exactly what DW needed to keep the series moving forward and introduce it to new fans.

I'm excited and curious. The "cloned movesets" never bothered me, I like that Wei and Wu look set to expand in mid-era (lest said about Shu, the better), the videos look good, I love to customise things so yay housing, whether this works or not I applaud them for trying something different. I'm not a big open world fan, I prefer my stuff tighter and more compact and I am very curious as to how the stories are going to be told, how are they going to avoid the problems of pre DW7 (I loved the change to kingdoms storymode) where too many stories lead to poor quality and repetitiveness
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks. My problem was it did both informal (which had arrow pointing to) and formal (no such indicator) and of the non Nanman duo, I didnt't twig I hadn't done their formal. Please kick me on things like this in future
Yeah this was the first time they revealed informal outfits for characters who were recently in that same week, so it was a bit confusing. I assume they did that because the number of weeks left before release are running out so they decided to speed up through showing informal outfits. I enjoy all the rating so I'll be sure to remind you if anything gets missed on accident :D

I'm excited and curious. The "cloned movesets" never bothered me, I like that Wei and Wu look set to expand in mid-era (lest said about Shu, the better), the videos look good, I love to customise things so yay housing, whether this works or not I applaud them for trying something different. I'm not a big open world fan, I prefer my stuff tighter and more compact and I am very curious as to how the stories are going to be told, how are they going to avoid the problems of pre DW7 (I loved the change to kingdoms storymode) where too many stories lead to poor quality and repetitiveness
If anything, at the very least I'm happy Koei is bucking the trend with this game. Before DW9 the main criticism of the series was that it was getting pretty stale and was more of the same repetitive thing with every game and wouldn't change. Regardless if the changes Koei is attempting here works out or not, at least they're doing something new and different this time. The cloned movesets bother me a good bit, but only for certain characters like Zhang He, Sun Ce, and Xu Shu who lost some really unique and fun weapons. I actually prefer some of the weapon changes on characters compared to what they wielded in DW8, such as Xiahou Ba, Zhang Bao, Guo Jia, etc. some of which are more fitting and others that are close enough to what they used to wield. I'd much rather Koei nail down a fun combat system, an engaging story, and a lively open world than ensure all 90 characters have their own weapons. The weapons can be fixed later through DLC, but it's better than they nail down the bedrock of the game that can't be fixed as easily as weapons can after launch. Who cares how many movesets there are if none are fun to play with.

As far as the open world goes, I'm pretty happy with it. Majority of the maps in DW8, and DW7 to a lesser extent were so cramped and linear. I felt like I was being force-fed where to go and what to do, it lost some of the freedom you had in earlier titles to tackle the battle as you wanted to. From the looks of the videos and the PV, we finally have a bit more freedom again, as we can choose to do side missions that will affect other battles and can capture bases etc. all of which will change how the battle is played out. I think these different ways to play will greatly increase replayability compared with DW8.

With the story, I'm still a bit unsure about it too. I suspect each character will have some unique conversations in pre-battle(in the style shown in screenshots and the PV) and is confirmed to have their own ending. Outside of that I suspect the battles presented will be pretty uniform, as long as said character was alive while that battle took place. I hope there is a bit more variation, but I doubt it considering the size of the roster. While it may get redundant to play through the story that many times, at least every character will be given a fair shake. In all likelihood I, and most other players, will only play through our favorites from each kingdom and leave some alone. However, completionists should be happy at how much they have to see. I liked the focus of the kingdom storylines but they just felt so short and lacked replayability. Not to mentioned a ton of characters got shafted in order to create a more cohesive narrative with a select few primary protagonists.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:44 pm

I am one of the few who dislike the new open world. I agree that in the past we were getting more and more cramped maps that were very linear but I am worried with the open world that Koei will just copy and paste generic zones for the majority of the map. I am concerned that I will be assaulting the same castle over and over and over again.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:00 am

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I am one of the few who dislike the new open world. I agree that in the past we were getting more and more cramped maps that were very linear but I am worried with the open world that Koei will just copy and paste generic zones for the majority of the map. I am concerned that I will be assaulting the same castle over and over and over again.

I would say I'm cautiously optimistic. Having been burnt by Koei overhauls before there is that fear that they could massively screw it up. However if they do it well, or at least lay good foundations for DW10, then this could be an incredible step!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:38 pm

I do agree that they could take what they learn from 9 to make 10 quite a bit better. I am still concerned that each chapter is going to end up being a slog capturing minor outposts over and over again just to make the main battles easier. Yeah it will be fun to occasionally hit the main area without weakening it but half of me thinks that will only turn half of the enemy officers into early DW Lu Bu clones who ignore your attacks and hit like a truck.

Still, I plan on getting the game so I do hope that I am wrong and it is lots of fun :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training