Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby DragonAtma » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:15 pm

Novel Ma Chao is a good guy; historical Ma Chao, not so much. I'm guessing that Koei fans lean more towards the novel than SoSZ, seeing as both RoTK and DyW are novel-based.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:18 pm

DragonAtma wrote:Novel Ma Chao is a good guy; historical Ma Chao, not so much. I'm guessing that Koei fans lean more towards the novel than SoSZ, seeing as both RoTK and DyW are novel-based.

The majority of Koei fans lean far more towards the previous RTK and DW games than they do either/any of the literary sources.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:36 pm

full Wei results (someone helpfully contrasted Japan results

full Shu results vs Japan's

Wei: Top 3 aren't a huge surprise though I have never really got the Zhang Liao DW love. Xiahou Dun is such a central figure to story and feels a powerful figure, Cao Cao is just awesome. Interesting 4 and 5 are both female (Zhen Ji getting a nostalgia vote?).

I thought Cao Pi would be squeezed into middle as looking a strong base, Zhang He did well given he divides people and thought Wenji was unpopular but she tops the non-thousands list. A lot of figures not picking up many votes, I wonder if Xiahou Yuan and Jia Xu were on a lot of 4/5th vote but not top 3. Ouch for Xu Zhu

Shu: and the use of Zhao Yun as posterboy and marketing figure has shown to be justified. I do get why these three got top, Yun the white knight, Guan Yu the powerful warrior with the awesome beard and so central (sems the objections from likes of me about building adds utterly around him and heroworship is not felt by many). Ma Chao I don't like as a characterbut tended to have goodmoveset and a sense of cavalry.

Generally pleased with the selection of characters below top three, either well done characters like Xu Shu (impressively high), Zhuge Liang, Xing Cai or female characters that I like but need more time (Yue Ying, Yiping). Tad disappointed for Zhang Fei but could be a Xiahou Yuan situation, Guan Suo has always seemed to struggle for love.

Real blow that Liu Shan is so low, he is key to latter Shu and one of their cleverest character ideas in DW, would be sad if he gets changed or sidelined due to this.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:46 am

I love using Liu Shan in WO3, his move-set is my favourite in Shu so far.

I voted Zhang Liao, he has always been by favourite Wei character, I jut didn't realise Cao Cao is so popular outside of the forums.

Wu ranks:

3rd - Zhou Yu
2nd - Gan Ning
1st - Zhou Tai

This was the poll I was happiest with. Obviously I would have rathered Sun Ce won (rather than finishing 4th...) Sun Ce, Zhou Yu and Taishi Ci are my three favourites in Wu as I view them as Ce's core. However Zhou Tai is number 4 for me as although he saved Sun Quan on one occasion his got an awesome move-set. Outside of Ce and Taishi Ci he is my favourite character to use in the entire game!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:58 pm

full Wu results with Japan comparison

Zhou Tai surprised me, I do like him and he is easy to use, he plays into those that like samurai but he really got shoved to background after first game. Gan Ning made sense as he certainly has style though I have gone off him while Zhou Yu has always seemed popular. The Qiao's did reasonably well, not surprised Sun Ce, SSX and Lu Xun did so well, feels like the olden figures got pounded here.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:49 am

The other poll was pretty predictable:

3rd - Diao Chan
2nd - Lu Lunqi
1st - Lu Bu

Essentially the Lu Bu faction!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:34 pm

Semi final poll up, two votes only

Full Others and Japan

I don't think it is a surprise. LKu Bu's faction is the one they tend to concentrate on and even in the "all characters had stories", Lu Bu and Diao Chan tended to have the best of the others while everyone has their "Lu Bu" moment. I like Lu Bu, Diao Chan gives him a softer side, and there are flaws with his warrior side like his arrogance. Bit surprised at level of Lu Lingqi's popularity though she is a nice character, Diao Chan has had one of the great romances of the game and her persona tends to shift which might have helped her vote.

Not surprised Zhu Rong did so well but didn't for that Meng Huo would be so far behind, Zuo Ci's level of popularity amazed me though (movesets tend to be fun though). Dong being last, well maybe koei should try doing him properly.

Jin and Japan version

3rd-Sima Zhao
2nd-Sima Yi
1st: Wang Yuanji

I can see why for the results. Sima Zhao is a big central figure, has a relaxed attitude that contrasts with others, has romance though personally I felt he lost something in 8. Sima Yi has always been a old fav as far as I'm aware but nice to see a lady finish top. I love Wang Yuanji in 7 but felt she faded out in 8 so I'm happy. I guess Wen Yang is so hgigh due to moveset despite struggling to make an impact in story Jia Chong love him or hate him stands out. Expects Sima Shi to get 1,000, disappointed Zhuge Dan finished last as felt he was a quite good if slightly underdone character (and his revolts never quite make sense becuase the try to make him an idiot)
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:44 pm

Who are you voting for Dong? I went for Zhou Tai and Zhao Yun. Was tempted by Zhou Yu, Wang Yuanji and Zhang Liao though!
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:25 pm

I'm obviously voting for The Man, but I don't know what to do with my second vote...
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lost » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:06 pm

The semi final poll was tough.

I narrowed it down to Guan Yu, Zhou Yu, Cao Cao, Sima Zhao and Diao Chan. In the end I went for Sima and Cao but any of those 5 and I would have been happy.
Lost
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training