Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Jolt » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:32 pm

Since noone made a post about it yet:

Koei Tecmo and Omega Force announced Dynasty Warriors 9 during its “Greatest Games Lineup in History” broadcast today. Its platform was not announced, but the broadcast was presented by PlayStation and Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia president Atsushi Morita introduced the title, so it’s safe to assume it will be released on PlayStation 4.

Koei Tecmo’s western branches announced the game alongside Japan.

The latest entry in the series, which celebrated its 15th anniversary this year, promises to be a “rebirth” with drastic game system changes and set in an open world. There will be towns in the vast fields that players can freely enter and exit, and the map will have considerable differences in elevation.

A Famitsu interview with Koei Tecmo’s Masaki Furusawa and Akihiro Suzuki reveals that all 83 characters that appeared up until Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires will appear in the game. Zhou Cang will appear as a new playable character, alongside several other new characters, but not too many.

Here are some more details (thanks, Games Talk):

When it came down to the next numbered title, in thinking that it would be pointless to follow the same pattern, they figured that a new Dynasty Warriors would be most interesting if it used an open world.
All of China is reproduced. While the Chinese land is a vast one, there are a lot of mountains, so places where battles can take place are limited. For this reason, they’re creating places like Hulao Pass and Zhongyuan in detail.
Know-how is shared within the company. Because the nature of the open world is different from that of Toukiden 2, that technology cannot be used as it is, but that which can be appropriated will be utilized.
They want to change input methods such as Square button for a standard attack and Triangle button for a charge attack. The concept of “being a match for a thousand” will remain, so something like Musou Ranbu will remain.
They’re aiming to make Zhao Cang a comedic character. His weapon is the “Dai Satsu Katana.” It is large and offers dynamic actions. He is a character that combines both excitement and speed, and promises to be fun to use.

http://gematsu.com/2016/12/dynasty-warriors-9-announced
Jolt
Master

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:39 pm

teaser trailer

Interesting they seem to be trying to dampen down expectation on number of character adds. Mixed views on open world, good to see them trying something but I tend to play DW stories and get bored with the other stuff so might not suit me.

Zhou Cang. The add we always wanted, now with extra dashing youth. Really excited for another Guan Yu worshipper, he has so few and Cang has such a key impact in the novel. :wink: Interesting that was the one they brought out first to excite the eastern fans

I do look forward to DW9, probably play Godseeker first as seems like a DT type game
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:54 pm

Sounds interesting though, I am not the biggest fan of open world games.
While I do like Zhou Cang I have been hoping that they would add more people from later in the fighting and expanding the wars with later Wei/Jin. However it looks like they don't plan on doing that. Maybe add in some Jin/later Wu officers and expand on that end if they don't want to include Jiang Wei's northern campaigns, so they can expand on Wu/Jin conflicts. That would be nice so we can see some new battles in addition to reworking the old ones once again.

I wonder how they will handle mission structure in the open world, will your character have to manually travel to each battle site with the option of doing little side missions on the way? Perhaps they can explore the other minor warlords a bit in this way, I can hope :P
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:02 pm

I'm excited for this! I think the open world fresh take on it could be really interesting!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aaron.K » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:27 am

Open world sounds interesting. Would be neat if they give it a Dark Souls style gameplay, but that probably won't happen. I was hoping they'd go for more historical (even if anachronistic from other dynasties) for character design, but from the teaser with Zhao Yun, that looks unlikely too.

I'll keep an eye on it at least. Might buy it eventually, but I'm not really all that interested by it. Guess I've become too disillusioned towards fantasy style character designs and light-heartedness, as well as unrealistic weapons. At least there's apparently going to be some DLC for Mount and Blade Warband set in the Han-Xiongnu War so that I can get my Chinese history related gaming fix.
"Why have you come to Jotunheim all alone?"
Aaron.K
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:21 am

Jordan used to do a series of "who do you want poll" threads and realized we don't have one for Jin. If people have any good ideas for who to put in poll (Chen Tai, Yang Hu, Du Yu, Xiahou Hui, Sun Li?) I can make one
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby knightofhonnor » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:06 pm

Ah, I would have liked Liao Hua better then Zhou Cang, myself. He's slightly too... fictional for my liking. :(

But, I am curious as to how this open world idea will work, will it be similar to Dynasty Warriors Online, or will it be totally different? This open world idea creates so many questions and possibilities! I mean, if we're allowed to wonder around China, will be able to see Gongsun Zan fight with Yuan Shao and the Xiongnu?

Still, I hope they don't forget what the series is about; one warrior destroying an entire army alone while the allied forces struggle constantly! :lol:
I have the great and magical power to kill any thread I wish, merely by commenting. Do you have such power? I thought not.
knightofhonnor
Tyro

Unread postby Iain » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:59 am

Crap I havent finished DW8 yet now here comes nine. ^^

Hopefully they have all the characters in it taking some out to make new ones never seems to make people happy, they want more choices not limitations.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby James » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:43 pm

Kind of related question? In what direction has the series moved since the days if DW3 and DW3:XL where the likes of archers could make for very strategic and challenging battles with some thought required to meet special objectives? KOEI seemed to be moving away from that with DW4 and DW5 into the waters of generic hack and slash and universal accessibility (i.e. game and challenge designed such that most anyone could complete objectives with generic grinding and button mashing)—with the only real challenge represented by opposed officers. That trend watered down or washed away some of the things I enjoyed most about the DW series.

I'm pretty curious because, for the first time in a while, I have a modern console to play the game when it comes out (just picked up my first PS4—the "Pro"). It sounds like DW9 is going to be a departure from some previous trends (nice to see KOEI trying to mix things up) but for me, at least, the above was my main disappointment in the series.

Zhou Cang's video doesn't inspire a lot of hope. Has him dicing in one hit huge quantities of soldiers. But that could be just to demonstrate what his skills look like and not necessary a reflection of the game.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:37 pm

The gameplay is still very much on the "universal accessibility" rather then challenge on normal mode, no idea about harder modes but it is usually a lot easier then when I was younger. Your allies do well if you get the events right and their morale is up, otherwise they are chocolate teapot level usefulness (though ally CiC's do tend to take time to die)
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Next

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training