Dynasty Warriors 9

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9

Unread postby PyroMystic » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:50 pm

Valvatorez wrote:
PyroMystic wrote:Greetings! Can someone please help helm me with something? So I'm interested because it's only idr 259,999 (about $18.34) in Steam. But to be honest, I'm not planning on playing ALL the 90 characters. I read some posts in this thread that said that players can buy whomever story mode they want to play. Is this true?

Then I check the DLC and found something like this:
[Character Name] - Officer Ticket / [Hanzi]使用券 Rp. 39,000
(idr 39,000 is approximately $2.75)
So what I get is that to play this game, you have to pay idr 259,999 (about $18.34) for the base game and buy a character you want to play for idr 39,000 (about $2.75). And if you want to play as another character, you have to pay another idr 39,000 (about $2.75)? To be honest, idr 259,999 is VERY expensive for a base game which you can't even play

Or is it the case that once you buy the base game, you buy ALL the characters? And you only need to buy Officer Ticket only if you download the trial version?

Second, how much storage space do I need to download only the trial version? Is it as much as downloading the full paid version?

Can someone please enlighten me? Thank you very much.



If you buy the actual game, you get all the actual characters to play as, the tickets people were mentioning are for the demo/trial version only, they don't even exist in the full game I don't think. You'd only have to pay extra if you want the season pass 1 (has Dong Bai, Yuan Shu and Xiahou Ji as playable officers and some costumes and scenarios), season pass 2 (no new characters) or the other different dlc stuff, which is optional and not really needed. As for storage space, you'd probably need around 50gb either way for the demo or full game.


Thanks for the information! :D But it seems I need a new PC before actually buying the game... Mine is just too old.

I haven't played the game but I think the game is fun. Empires has always been my favorite extension and the game looks a lot like a combination of Empires with Musou mode, which is perfect. As for the season pass, I don't get why they spend so much effort on making female-only DLC and not for all character like in 7 and 8. And when they actually make a DLC costume for male characters, we get the absolute horribleness that is the Knight costume. Don't know why people seem to like that...
忍辱负重 ~ rěn rǔ fù zhòng
||endure humiliation, bear burden||
《三国志 · 吴书 · 陸遜传 》
User avatar
PyroMystic
Initiate
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:50 am

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9

Unread postby Death » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:37 am

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:It is some mega scummy bullshit, but my boi Zhong Hui is getting a DLC scenario... so I at least may have to get that.


Sorry if you explained this before, but what makes it your favorite game of the series exactly? I only played like 1 stage on the trial version so can't really judge it either, but all the season passes and stuff is a bit a of a turn off, even though you don't really need those at all. I just hope they get around to DW 10 at some point soon :mrgreen:


PyroMystic wrote:
Thanks for the information! :D But it seems I need a new PC before actually buying the game... Mine is just too old.

I haven't played the game but I think the game is fun. Empires has always been my favorite extension and the game looks a lot like a combination of Empires with Musou mode, which is perfect. As for the season pass, I don't get why they spend so much effort on making female-only DLC and not for all character like in 7 and 8. And when they actually make a DLC costume for male characters, we get the absolute horribleness that is the Knight costume. Don't know why people seem to like that...



You're welcome, and yeah now there's 3 season passes to worry about as I mentioned haha. I most likely couldn't run it on my pc either so I know what you mean. Also its great they keep the game updated, but just wish it was with more characters or different modes or something instead of costumes or just scenarios or something.
User avatar
Death
Scholar
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:18 am
Location: Zanarkand

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:01 am

Valvatorez wrote:
DaoLunOfShiji wrote:It is some mega scummy bullshit, but my boi Zhong Hui is getting a DLC scenario... so I at least may have to get that.


Sorry if you explained this before, but what makes it your favorite game of the series exactly? I only played like 1 stage on the trial version so can't really judge it either, but all the season passes and stuff is a bit a of a turn off, even though you don't really need those at all. I just hope they get around to DW 10 at some point soon :mrgreen:


No apology needed, I don't mind explaining it. Truthfully I really don't like these games. I find them shallow, boring, repetitive, typically ugly and a really bad representation of the era. Prior to 9 I honestly thought 7 was the only game in the series I could've give a decent review to because it at least did a great job with story telling. And by decent review I mean a 4.5 out of 10.

9 absolutely has a hefty amount of issues as has been documented in the hundreds of Youtube videos. Luckily for me I honestly haven't experienced that many. So going off my own playtime the game ran smoothly. I've had far worse experiences with much bigger budget games. My greatest issue with 9 comes in the form of who is chosen to be added over any gameplay because, as stated above, I think the gameplay in all of these games is terrible. Truthfully I'd find frogger more entertaining. So the gameplay change from trigger/ex to state-flow never bothered me at all. Neither did the weapon clone issue since you can swap weapons and I typically just used a spear or sword for whoever I was playing as in the first place.

Visually 9 was hit or miss to a major degree. Sometimes you could see how certain areas were flat out neglected and looked terrible. The central plains was a huge disappointment. Apart from the major cities it was beyond uninspiring. However, Yizhou? I loved it. I adored that whole area. When I think of DW9 that's typically the first image in my head. The soundtrack used there, a remix of DW6's She Knows the Way, made it even better. This will sound awful to most people but I'm very nostalgic for it, the world itself reminded me of an early 2000s MMO. It was comfortable. But man I wish it had more to do. The game majorly lacked side activities that weren't the same repeatable quests over and over.

The characters chosen for 9 just.... gah. :rangry: Cao XIu? Great. Man Chong? Fantastic. Xun You? Holy god damn wow oh my god they added one of my favorite humans to ever exist! Xu Sheng? ...Eh. Zhou Cang? ..... Xin Xianying? Love the design, but she's is perhaps the greatest let down in this entire series. Jin was neglected like a red headed step child yet again, which never sits well with me. The DLC characters are all stupid and a scam. The Lady Xiahou thing still disgusts me to this day.

Now for what I actually give a damn about. History. The game did a better job than any previous entry in the series at portraying events, battles, etc. I can give an example that I personally loved and that made me decide to swing my view of this game into a more positive one. Final chapter for Jin, you're invading Shu and you come upon Yangping gate. Hu Lie is attacking it and the defenders are Fu Qian and Jiang Shu. The two defenders are arguing and Jiang Shu defects, turning the tide of the battle in favor of Hu Lie, and Fu Qian is killed. To the uninformed this was just a generic thing that happened to further the story. But to me? Someone who knows the history, PARTICULARLY this part inside and out? I loved it. This was entirely based off the actual battle. It played out just as the real one did. In that moment I thought that while this game is clearly bogged down in many issues, they actually gave a shit about properly presenting the story. It was magnificent. Truly magnificent.

Another example, using the later scenarios of Jin because they're the best, was during a simple mission in which you and Sima Zhao have to go and pray at a well in order to get water. Not only is this a reference to the Romance, but it is also a reference to history. Not the Three Kingdoms, but the Han-Xiongnu war. That showed to me that they not only cared about the time period the game was in, but drew upon pre-Three Kingdoms lore.

For other people this stuff won't matter, and that's fine. They'll care about the gameplay or something else. I personally don't since I think it's all garbage anyways. The world in certain areas felt wonderful, the music was fantastic, the story was presented really well and they treated the history with respect where it mattered the most to me. So 9 is my favorite game in the series for those reasons.
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
User avatar
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: "A genius like Cao Zhi, as martial as Cao Cao."

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9

Unread postby Death » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:10 am

Wow nice, I like the detailed explanations a lot more than if someone just said they like 1-2 things without really describing it, so this helps me understand a bit more of the better points of the game at least that people never really mention. :mrgreen:

About what you said though, 7 was one of my favorites too, but even though I like the series in general, they are really similar so sometimes if you played one, you feel like you played any of them and personally I always like the Rotk strategy games a lot more. Also I understand about the music part as well, as soon as the battle I did play start, I instantly recognized the track and was happy to listen to it at least even if the gameplay was bad.

Actually now that you mention Xiahou Ji, does she interact with Xing Cai or Zhang Bao at all? I'm just guessing here obviously, but I would think it would look pretty weird if she's their mother yet looks younger than any of them and I doubt they gave her an older appearance in game either.

The little details to history I noticed a little bit in some of the older games too, even though they didn't happen often (and ironically the ones I enjoyed the most were ones that involved Jin as well) so the game having those little touches would be very interesting to me too since I always loved the history of the series more than the actual gameplay as well. Too bad they couldn't really work out the gameplay a bit more as well so more people could have been able to stick with it and appreciate those little things they did do rather than all the complaints about they didn't do with the game.
User avatar
Death
Scholar
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:18 am
Location: Zanarkand

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:20 am

On Lady Xiahou interacting with the two Zhang's, I've seen screenshots of at least her and Zhang Xingcai together but I never played as Zhang Xingcai to confirm if it was in her story, or Lady Xiahou's. I did my best not to be furious while playing the game, which basically meant avoiding Shu up until like... Liu Shan was Emperor. I played Guan Yu up until she showed up and I quit that.

The state-flow system of 9 I think was the most fun the gameplay itself had gotten, which I don't think is all that fun in the first place, but it did feel like it was missing something to break up the press two buttons gameplay.
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
User avatar
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: "A genius like Cao Zhi, as martial as Cao Cao."

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9

Unread postby PyroMystic » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:17 am

Valvatorez wrote:You're welcome, and yeah now there's 3 season passes to worry about as I mentioned haha. I most likely couldn't run it on my pc either so I know what you mean. Also its great they keep the game updated, but just wish it was with more characters or different modes or something instead of costumes or just scenarios or something.

Which consoles do you play with? PS4?

I agree with the DLC being costumes. I think it's just a way for KOEI to get a fast money.

On a more positive note, though, the added scenario for the 4 strategist is amazing, especially Chen Gong and Guo Jia.
Guo Jia's scenario actually makes me teared up a bit. And Chen Gong, well, that was a really wild "ifs" but its easily the best scenario ever (basically it tells a hypotetical situation where Chen Gong joins Liu Bei and asked the other warlords to attack Cao Cao and save the Han Emperor). Zhou Yu's story is also quite good. His new costume is absolutely gorgeous (ten times better than the knight DLC), and that cutscene about him playing Guzheng is just beautiful. Xu Shu is meh. Basically about Zhuge Liang praising Xu Shu 24/7 on his contribution to Shu.
So yeah, if I have to choose between an added DLC character like Xiahou Ji and Dong Bai, or an added scenario like Guo Jia's and Chen Gong's, I would prefer the latter. If they want to add DLC character, then at least choose a character that ACTUALLY matters, not a fanservice female like those lolis.

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:The characters chosen for 9 just.... gah. :rangry: Cao XIu? Great. Man Chong? Fantastic. Xun You? Holy god damn wow oh my god they added one of my favorite humans to ever exist! Xu Sheng? ...Eh. Zhou Cang? ..... Xin Xianying? Love the design, but she's is perhaps the greatest let down in this entire series. Jin was neglected like a red headed step child yet again, which never sits well with me. The DLC characters are all stupid and a scam. The Lady Xiahou thing still disgusts me to this day.


Actually the new characters are mostly good choices, with the exception of Zhou Cang because of these 2 reasons: (1) Shu aready have too many character, and (2) why add a new character whose sole purpose of existence is to be Guan Yu worshipper AGAIN? Xu Sheng is actually quite okay, I think (though I personally hope KOEI would focus on late-Wu).

As for Xin Xianying, I know that's not a good choice but I think I understand why they choose her:
1. Jin has the less female character out of the 4 factions (and fanservice matters, of course)
2. They want to add Xin Ping
3. They want to add Yang Hu. But adding Yang Hu means adding Lu Kang. But this is impossible given how they make Lu Xun so young and being the future of Wu.
As someone who doesn't play the games and don't really understand RoTK post Liu Bei's death, I think they think that Xin Xianying could replace the role of Xin Ping and Yang Hu, as well as adding female character to Jin (and fanservice). So it's like killing 4 birds with one stone, which makes Xin Xianying a very good choice. I personally disagree with this since I want them to explore late Wu (hence adding Lu Kang and Yang Hu), but I could understand why they choose her out of all possible addition.

(Anyway, Cao Xiu is easily the best addition in DW9)

What makes me really disappointed is the DLC addition. Xiahou Ji? Dong Bai? Hua Xiong? WTF KOEI? I know they are popular (especially Xiahou Ji), but they really adds nothing to the already perfect story. And yeah, the thing with Xiahou Ji is just terrible. Why would KOEI make her saying something along the line of, "I think you're cute, Lord Zhang Fei." Like wtf? And Dong Bai? I mean, we have characters like Lu Kang and Yang Hu with the very interesting historical scenario of their rivalry and they choose these two girls who ABSOLUTELY did nothing and one of them is purely fictional.

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:Now for what I actually give a damn about. History. The game did a better job than any previous entry in the series at portraying events, battles, etc. I can give an example that I personally loved and that made me decide to swing my view of this game into a more positive one. Final chapter for Jin, you're invading Shu and you come upon Yangping gate. Hu Lie is attacking it and the defenders are Fu Qian and Jiang Shu. The two defenders are arguing and Jiang Shu defects, turning the tide of the battle in favor of Hu Lie, and Fu Qian is killed. To the uninformed this was just a generic thing that happened to further the story. But to me? Someone who knows the history, PARTICULARLY this part inside and out? I loved it. This was entirely based off the actual battle. It played out just as the real one did. In that moment I thought that while this game is clearly bogged down in many issues, they actually gave a shit about properly presenting the story. It was magnificent. Truly magnificent.

I heard somewhere that they even go as far as using the exact same word that is in the novel for the dialogue? I agree that some battles are very good but others is just plain boring. Like, they make Zhou Yu and Cheng Pu interaction very interesting, as Cheng Pu seems to resent Zhou Yu's enthusiasm at first. But then, we have a very plain boring veteran-youngster interaction between Han Dang and Lu Xun which in novel is portrayed as intense, if not more, as Cheng Pu and Zhou Yu's interaction. The Battle of Yi Ling is a very half-baked attempt from KOEI. Well, actually the whole Wu scenario went downhill post Sun Ce (and Zhou Yu's death) because, for some weird and unknown reason, KOEI seems to love the idea of exploring Sun Quan's melancholic internal struggle (which is 100% made up by KOEI) and his romance with Lianshi, instead of actually doing something to present the actual history properly.

So yeah, I do not think Jin was the step child, really, as you admit that they make Jin battle historically accurate. The real step child here is Wu. KOEI just shove whatever idea they have about Sun Quan downs to our throat and this is what I hate the most about DW series after 6. It's like Sun Quan and Lianshi is the only character in Wu and they add everyone else simply because the novels say so. Might as well make them generic. I think this is precisely the reason why Wu's popularity diminished drastically since DW7. Compare this with the pre DW6 era where Wu is the most favorite kingdom.

Tl;dr Yeah, some battles are done very well, but some (especially Wu's battle after the death of Zhou Yu) are done horribly. And I said this because I actually care about history.
忍辱负重 ~ rěn rǔ fù zhòng
||endure humiliation, bear burden||
《三国志 · 吴书 · 陸遜传 》
User avatar
PyroMystic
Initiate
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:50 am

Previous

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved