Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed May 10, 2017 10:27 am

Lots of new info out on DW9, Cheng Pu (see character thread) and koei warriors has a list of the new stuff announced

Sounds like they are trying a real revamp and so pleased with that. Time will tell if weather and can sneak into castles is a siege weapons type underwhelming add or something substantial. I hope boats don't cost too much :P No what-if's make sense, good that non-Naman tribes will get a role, yay archery

Was always going to be concerned about individual story modes coming back. Clearly playing Guan Yu and Liu Shan will be very different, how will they make it worth me playing Guan Yu and then Zhang Fei? Will it be just a little variety of dialogue or something worth the time of playing an early Shu character again? I like the idea of doing little missions to build up to the final mission of that stage and hopefully character final battles will have oomph
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed May 10, 2017 4:16 pm

First of all no hypothetical stories makes me sad :(

Second I am still concerned about the open world, they have to fill the world with actual things to do. Walking around a tiny version of China is neat but unless the world is filled with interesting things then it will just be rather boring after a while.
Going to Nanman during the yellow turban rebellion will be interesting a whole once if the only thing there are a bunch of NPCs saying something like "Hey I hear Zhang Jiao is really causing a ruckus up north"

I do like individual character stories, but they have over 80 characters....there is no way they are giving them all individually tailored stories so expect a ton of copy and paste material except with different names, probably a lot of it non voiced. I am also assuming that like most of the other games only Jin will go into late time periods.

I am keeping my expectations rather low, hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Wed May 10, 2017 8:27 pm

Presumably, (1) they'll start the player near the turbans and (2) there'll be people there saying "Hey, there are ytellow turbans northeast of us!" or something. if the player decides to go southwest when he was pointed in the opposite direction, it's the player's fault! ;)

But even if they do so, in 188 Zhao Zhi and Ma Xiang caused trouble in Yizhou and claimed to be yellow turbans. So Koei may fudge the dates a bit and, as the player heads southwest, would point the player towards fighting them.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu May 11, 2017 8:54 am

I imagine I would go to all the cities for future fast travel purposes in first scenario but yes, one wonders how much is going to be meaningless filler in open world and how much will be actually fun.

I'm someone who tends to prefer their games less open world so get more storytime, kingdom mode was very much my thing but will see how they actually pull off this new style and whatever else, can't say "it's always the same" on this one!
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Fri May 12, 2017 6:01 am

You're assuming that fast travel doesn't suddenly get limited.

As Cheng Pu, for example, while fast travel to most of China may be available in 184, I can see most of it be blocked off later on.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri May 12, 2017 7:29 am

Hopefully they'll make it clear which cities have sub missions so you know whether it is worth travelling or not!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:45 pm

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uuj26l ... e=youtu.be

Excited me which surprised me, only a few glimpses but it gives a sense of ambition
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:53 pm

Watched it (muted - at work), it does look good, graphics look good but I didn't feel it showed us how the open world format will work which makes me sad as that's what I'm most excited about.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training