Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 9 Announced!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed May 10, 2017 10:27 am

Lots of new info out on DW9, Cheng Pu (see character thread) and koei warriors has a list of the new stuff announced

Sounds like they are trying a real revamp and so pleased with that. Time will tell if weather and can sneak into castles is a siege weapons type underwhelming add or something substantial. I hope boats don't cost too much :P No what-if's make sense, good that non-Naman tribes will get a role, yay archery

Was always going to be concerned about individual story modes coming back. Clearly playing Guan Yu and Liu Shan will be very different, how will they make it worth me playing Guan Yu and then Zhang Fei? Will it be just a little variety of dialogue or something worth the time of playing an early Shu character again? I like the idea of doing little missions to build up to the final mission of that stage and hopefully character final battles will have oomph
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed May 10, 2017 4:16 pm

First of all no hypothetical stories makes me sad :(

Second I am still concerned about the open world, they have to fill the world with actual things to do. Walking around a tiny version of China is neat but unless the world is filled with interesting things then it will just be rather boring after a while.
Going to Nanman during the yellow turban rebellion will be interesting a whole once if the only thing there are a bunch of NPCs saying something like "Hey I hear Zhang Jiao is really causing a ruckus up north"

I do like individual character stories, but they have over 80 characters....there is no way they are giving them all individually tailored stories so expect a ton of copy and paste material except with different names, probably a lot of it non voiced. I am also assuming that like most of the other games only Jin will go into late time periods.

I am keeping my expectations rather low, hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Wed May 10, 2017 8:27 pm

Presumably, (1) they'll start the player near the turbans and (2) there'll be people there saying "Hey, there are ytellow turbans northeast of us!" or something. if the player decides to go southwest when he was pointed in the opposite direction, it's the player's fault! ;)

But even if they do so, in 188 Zhao Zhi and Ma Xiang caused trouble in Yizhou and claimed to be yellow turbans. So Koei may fudge the dates a bit and, as the player heads southwest, would point the player towards fighting them.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu May 11, 2017 8:54 am

I imagine I would go to all the cities for future fast travel purposes in first scenario but yes, one wonders how much is going to be meaningless filler in open world and how much will be actually fun.

I'm someone who tends to prefer their games less open world so get more storytime, kingdom mode was very much my thing but will see how they actually pull off this new style and whatever else, can't say "it's always the same" on this one!
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Fri May 12, 2017 6:01 am

You're assuming that fast travel doesn't suddenly get limited.

As Cheng Pu, for example, while fast travel to most of China may be available in 184, I can see most of it be blocked off later on.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri May 12, 2017 7:29 am

Hopefully they'll make it clear which cities have sub missions so you know whether it is worth travelling or not!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:45 pm

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uuj26l ... e=youtu.be

Excited me which surprised me, only a few glimpses but it gives a sense of ambition
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:53 pm

Watched it (muted - at work), it does look good, graphics look good but I didn't feel it showed us how the open world format will work which makes me sad as that's what I'm most excited about.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lost » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:41 pm

Hello!

This is my first post on this site but I've been playing the DW games since DW3. I have to say that the new trailer didn't show much and it was a little underwhelming but hopefully when they're ready they'll show off more.

That being said, a lot of the information they've revealed so far has me excited. I don't know too much about the details behind Zhou Cang but having an officer that served as part of the Yellow Turbans could be interesting. We only ever get to see the rebellion from either the perspective of outside lords or Three Kingdoms Jesus. I think it would be awesome to explore the actual causes behind the rebellion in-game and the open world with side missions gives them the chance to show how the peasants are suffering and being exploited.

As for Cheng Pu, I think he clearly deserves a place among the other famous Wu generals but I'll admit there's nothing specific that really gets me excited to play him. It is nice to see another older looking character though.

Seeing all the characters returning is nice. I'll admit there are some I wouldn't mind them leaving out but the more options the better I guess.

The entire concept of an Open World DW game is very exciting but of course it comes with a lot of questions. I don't expect them to get it perfect the first time and hopefully this will be the beginning of a more complex and interactive way of telling the Three Kingdoms story.

I'm curious to see how they make the cities stand out. So far I'm assuming they'll all come with a black smith, stables (or some kind of animal shop equivalent) and an item shop. Perhaps even a place to hire siege equipment. Presumably different regions will offer unique weapons or animals but overall that's not going to be enough to really make them stand out. Aside from tracking down Red Hare or perhaps and powerful weapon, I can't see that being enough incentive to make me travel long distances.

What I'm really hoping for is that each city comes packed with unique side missions and stories. I think it's crucial that they don't all follow the exact same routine of "hunt the wolves" but come with personalized stories and characters. For example, perhaps a famous general is on his way to the city but his carriage has been ambushed along the way and you have to rush to save him. Then maybe you make a friendship with them and that gives you access to another more important mission.

This might be a bit unrealistic but right now I'm just trying to picture the game if it came out with everything I wanted.

The most important part to me is the battles. I hope each era has more than one critical battle if I'm being honest. Facing Lu Bu at Hu Lao Gate sounds like it should be a critical battle all on it's own, as should Sishui Gate. The smaller missions should be about intercepting reinforcements or burning supply camps possibly but if there's only one critical mission in each era then I fear it's going to be very easy to rush through the game.

As for the battles themselves. My first major question is actually how will the map work? It might sound stupid but in an open world game presumably we can't entire a fixed area and scenarion with a fixed map? So is it going to be a bit more like a real battle where you rely on messengers and things get extremely chaotic or will it work in a similar manner to past games?

Aside from that, the battles have the potential to be amazing. The scale could be increased and they'll feel a lot more natural. Imagine watching a stream of peasants a few miles long and then having to fight a battle to defend them. Again it could go completely wrong but it could also be bloody brilliant.

On top of this, I love that it will all feel like a real world with multiple battles taking place at once. Basically this part for those that didn't read it:

Multiple battles may occur at the same time in different places, and the player will have to make a choice on which battle they want to participate in. They are no longer split by stages.
An example to the above point is a skirmish between Gongsun Zan & Yuan Shao's armies happening in the Yellow Turban Rebellion era, and the player can opt to join either side in the skirmish.

Being able to take a side sounds interesting as it seems to go against the removal of hypothetical paths. If I side with the army that lost historically will I ultimately be forced to fight a losing battle or will I be able to win but without many practical consequences? This seems like an important feature I want to hear more about.

Also thank god we finally have some alternate methods of taking castles. The base system was getting extremely stale and I love the idea of being able to scheme about the best method to attack people. Similarly, I hope there are just as many possibilities for repelling invaders if I should fight a defensive battle. This could become complicated if they started factoring in food supplies but I doubt it will go that far.

I actually don't mind them being historically accurate (roughly anyway) or characters with shorter life spans only getting to play out the events they were actually a part of. One question does spring to mind, will this game feature a free mode? Considering the story is going to be this big open world I assume most if not all of their attention is going into it so could this be the first game (to my knowledge) that doesn't actually feature it or will it be announced later? If free mode remains then you can always play your favorite characters in hypothetical battles anyway.

Anyway I just had to share my thoughts since I have no one else to discuss the game with. I'm sure there's a lot left to be revealed but hopefully the game turns out great.
Lost
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:10 am

Welcome to the forum Lost

Seeing all the characters returning is nice. I'll admit there are some I wouldn't mind them leaving out but the more options the better I guess.

I don't think we will see cuts after the outrage from fanbase in DW6 though I would do some cuts personally.

The most important part to me is the battles. I hope each era has more than one critical battle if I'm being honest. Facing Lu Bu at Hu Lao Gate sounds like it should be a critical battle all on it's own, as should Sishui Gate. The smaller missions should be about intercepting reinforcements or burning supply camps possibly but if there's only one critical mission in each era then I fear it's going to be very easy to rush through the game.

Maybe it will be you can rush to Hulao but it might not be a good idea (Hua Xiong turning up with major reinforcements for example) or you can do battles like Shi Shui first to build your way up to it?

Being able to take a side sounds interesting as it seems to go against the removal of hypothetical paths. If I side with the army that lost historically will I ultimately be forced to fight a losing battle or will I be able to win but without many practical consequences? This seems like an important feature I want to hear more about.

Indeed. It would make no sense for Zhang He, for example, to fight for Gongsun Zan for example so not sure how that will work.

Also thank god we finally have some alternate methods of taking castles. The base system was getting extremely stale and I love the idea of being able to scheme about the best method to attack people. Similarly, I hope there are just as many possibilities for repelling invaders if I should fight a defensive battle. This could become complicated if they started factoring in food supplies but I doubt it will go that far.

I'm not expecting much with taking castles, I remember when seige equipment came in so I'm a tad sceptical.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training