What happened to Yuan Shao?

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

What happened to Yuan Shao?

Unread postby Proud_Lion » Sat May 31, 2014 10:09 pm

After Dynasty Warriors 5, Yuan Shao has undergone some personality changes.

In Dynasty Warriors 3-5, he was a bit more tolerable. He conducted himself like a leader and had a sound mind for war, at, the same time, having pride in his family's name and nobility.

I bought Dynasty Warriors 8 on PC and it seems like KOEI took the worst part of his personality and brought it to an extreme.

Now, the only thing that comes out of his mouth is, nobility this, nobility that, my family is this, my family is that.

Now, I find it hard to believe he led a coalition of troops against Dong Zhuo.

Please don't tell me this is how he was portrayed in ROTK. I want to order the novels online, but, I need to make sure I get the more modern translation, and, I purchase all four volumes from the Yellow Scarves Rebellion to Jin unifying China.
Proud_Lion
Tyro

Re: What happened to Yuan Shao?

Unread postby Zorkaz » Sat May 31, 2014 10:22 pm

No, forget about KOEI's portrayals of the different people from the 3K era. Yuan Shao was a strong ruler, that made some grave mistakes. At least that's how he's being portrayed in the novel.
Zorkaz
Assistant

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:04 am

It's just flanderization. Over time he became more and more of a one-dimensional character.

I personally think that after some time they started to attach Yuan Shu's historical personality and characteristics to Yuan Shao.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:49 am

Jordan wrote:I personally think that after some time they started to attach Yuan Shu's historical personality and characteristics to Yuan Shao.

Huh, interesting point Jordan! I'd never thought of that before. Might that have ramifications on them adding Yuan Shu at a later date?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:35 pm

Welcome to the forum Proud Lion

Yuan Shao is one of those figures were DW has taken one or two aspects and gone for entertainment rather then accuracy. I liked him in 7 mostly, I found him rather funny. He isn't so one-note in the novel certainly
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
Jordan wrote:I personally think that after some time they started to attach Yuan Shu's historical personality and characteristics to Yuan Shao.

Huh, interesting point Jordan! I'd never thought of that before. Might that have ramifications on them adding Yuan Shu at a later date?

Yeah I don't think Koei has any intention to add Yuan Shu to Dynasty Warriors. I would love to be proven wrong.

I find it odd that they haven't added him to Dynasty Warriors, though, as Koei generally seems to like Yuan Shu in their games. He has an interesting role in Legend of Cao Cao and is one of the few characters with a unique character model in Dynasty Tactics 2 (a game in which even Cao Pi and Guan Ping are generics and Xu Huang is only distinct by having a large battleaxe). Yuan Shu also has some amazing portraits in the ROTK games.

It's a shame he isn't added to Dynasty Warriors as he would add a lot to the story, in my opinion.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:21 am

Yup! The four largest factions (Lu Bu as well) all interact with Yuan Shu at some time or another!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:29 pm

He is entertaining though, you have to admit.

But yeah, he's nothing like how he was historically, that is, a brave and talented commander.

They did the same with Dong Zhuo though, stripping away almost all of his few redeeming characteristics,
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:59 pm

Yes... as Dong Zhou has said, Yuan Shao was great in 7, he was a little manipulative, he was well spoken and he was held up as a paragon by his troops. He still had that new style, but he was still slightly respectable. Unfortunately in 8... well I still love the character, I can't lie. He has been one of my favorites since DW4, he comes off as more foppish and foolish. This is pronounced so well in his sort of lackluster moveset, which is full of really odd moves, his second EX Attack is unfortunately worthless (a long charge up from his first charge which takes too long to execute guaranteeing the opponent will guard it and it doesn't do that great of damage)

That said 8 does a good job of relating Cao Cao to Yuan Shao and especially in Wei's ending you can tell he had great respect for him as he saw Yuan Shao as one of the "end of the old guard". The real issue with Yuan Shao is when they switched from 5 to 6. Apparently in Japanese Yuan Shao was always a joke, while for us Yuan Shao was a militarily-minded commander who had great respect for himself and his social class, as well as the Han. When 6 came around and gave him that new ostentatious character look I suppose they thought now was the time to include his "canon" persona from the Japanese version.

A bit of a shame as I found our version so much more intriguing as far as characters went. But yes, Yuan Shao has lost a lot of what made him great, in DW5 he is shown as being very conciliatory to Zhao Yun who left his troops to join Gongsun Zan in that calm, kind style that the previous voice actor had down so well. However his current antics are still fun, even though it makes Guan Du out to be a foregone conclusion.
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby AxeLordGerardo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:46 am

It really pains me to read in FB Koei page from some guy that in these new DWs, Yuan Shao is now a mumbling idiot. Really that Omega Force don't do justice with him, yet luckily for me, against all odds, Yuan Shao enjoys a better acceptation in present day, thanks that more people has readed his bio and the novel. Yeah, Yuan Shao has lost the spark he had in the PS2 titles, and his arrogance has reached absurd levels, but no matter how hard the DW crew tries to make him a villain or a Dong Zhuo II from him, he continue being one important character, and without any other 100% Yuan generals to play with, he is still forced to represent his entire faction.
Cao Cao - Liu Bei - Sun Jian - Yuan Shao
AxeLordGerardo
Student

Next

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training