Why do they make Xu Zhu mentally challenged?

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Why do they make Xu Zhu mentally challenged?

Unread postby patrickrafferty9 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:54 pm

Why do they make out that Xu Zhu is *mentally challenged* on every single dynasty warriors game?

<ModEdit(SX):Using the word retarded is offensive to many people with learning difficulties and mental difficulties, please have some sensitivity!!>
patrickrafferty9
Apprentice

Re: Why do they make Xu Zhu retarded?

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:30 pm

i don't know, he's been getting better in 7, having actual spotlight, and in 8 he seems like a normal, simple minded man like myself.

his voice i think might be the issue with why he sounds so...out there.

as for earlier installments, i say it has to be about early Koei making characters wacky
Ding Feng/Sun Shang Xiang is my new one true crack pairing XD (thank you ROT3KXI)
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby patrickrafferty9 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:31 am

I wish they made dynasty warriors a little more serious.

I know but to make one of the best generals of Cao Wei that *having learning difficulties *is just below the belt, especially when you look at his achievements.

<ModEdit(SX):See above!!>
patrickrafferty9
Apprentice

Unread postby DragonAtma » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:32 am

Do keep in mind that Xu Chu was mainly a bodyguard, not a general.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby patrickrafferty9 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:23 am

I thought Xu Zhu started off as a bodyguard and then went on to become a general?
patrickrafferty9
Apprentice

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 pm

For the same reason any of the characters are caricatured—this game is a cartoon, and with such a large cast and such limited screen time for each, it's easier to give everyone a core gimmick than to attempt any characterization.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby patrickrafferty9 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:31 pm

I know but you could easily make him like someone else without making him completely unique if that was the case. I just don't see why he should talk like a *someone with mental deficiencies*.
The way he looks is even worse its like when they got to his character design that they were bored and just wanted a bit of fun with it

[i]<MidEdit(SX):See first post!!>[i]
patrickrafferty9
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:28 pm

patrickrafferty9 wrote:I thought Xu Zhu started off as a bodyguard and then went on to become a general?

More like commander of the bodyguards

I think the design for Xu Zhu is partly the round waist he was mentioned to have had, partly to reflect the persona and partly to give a cheerful Wei figure when, in early games, Wei was filled with cold, hard figures. I think his persona is partly the simply farm figure, partly need for Wei to have a cheerful figure and trying to play on the absent minded thing.

Koei are very very bad at avoiding blatant caricature or one note. Get Xu Zhu right, as they did in DW7, and he is a very strong character. Get it wrong as they often have and Xu Zhu comes across as a food obsessed idiot
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Zorkaz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Hey guys, isnt't there a scene in the 2010 series, where Cao Cao had to demote Xu Chu, because of some grave mistake he made. Xu Chu then tells Cao Cao he doesn't have problems with a lesser rank, but because of his low income he won't be able to eat as much as before?!
I'm not sure if this scene derived from the novel or folklore but that specific scene might be a reason why KOEI portrayed him this way.

But I agree with Patrick: Xu Chu could be portrayed a bit better. Same goes for Zhang He.
Zorkaz
Assistant

Re: Why do they make Xu Zhu mentally challenged?

Unread postby SunXia » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:20 pm

I for one, was annoyed when I seen this post, as it is basically questioning why make any character different in any way!! There are many people out there that have mental disabilities and are able to still live fulfilling lives with jobs and partners!! Xu Zhu has a job to do and in the games that job is to protect Cao Cao!! He's not a strategist and he's not a leader so there is no call for him to have a high IQ and there's no call to use words that have been used to mock and discriminate people that have certain disabilities!!

I enjoy the variety of characters brought into Dynasty Warriors, if it was just a bunch of boring, generic generals I wouldn't go near the game with a barge pole but as it is, I am currently plying DW8XL and enjoying it!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Next

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training