Who Should Have No Spouse

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Who Should Have No Spouse

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:34 pm

capnnerefir wrote:I don't think there is any verified date of death for her. As far as I recall, she's not specifically mentioned after Liu Bei married her in 196. She may have passed away; most likely she refused to return to Liu Bei after the 2nd or 3rd time he abandoned her.

I would have thought the consequences of not going with Liu Bei (leaving siblings behind with no money, no man, no protection) wouldn't be appetising or that she would have any real alternative.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby capnnerefir » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:42 am

I'm not sure going with Liu Bei was a much better option. She would have been captured by his enemies in 198 and 200. Being his wife was not a particularly safe occupation.

It's likely that Lady Mi remained in Cao Cao's custody after being captured in 200. While it is recorded that Liu Bei's captive family members were returned to him in 196 (by Lu Bu) and 198 (by Cao Cao), there isn't actually any mention of them returning to him after 200.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:38 pm

I suppose it would depend what was on offer in Wei. Liu Bei marriage does not strike me as a good one but I just don't see other options being better unless a warlord was going to finance her
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby capnnerefir » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Well, Cao Cao seems to have treated his prisoners well, for the most part. He took good care of Chen Gong's mother and daughter even after Chen Gong betrayed him. And Lady Bian was widely beloved for the great kindness she showed people. I expect that Lady Mi would have either been brought into Cao Cao's household as a consort or set up with an estate somewhere - perhaps where her family traditionally lived over in Xu province.

That's best case scenario, of course, and relies upon a generally positive opinion of Cao Cao. Those who aren't very fond of him could no doubt invent any number of terrible things that could happen to Lady Mi.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:02 pm

I doubt he treated her cruelly and I doubt he took her into his own bed (that would presumably have been mentioned) but I see your point that he might well have given her an estate in Xu.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:58 am

Can you guys imagine a made-up wife for Guan Yu, just to round out the Guan Family? :lol:
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Can you guys imagine a made-up wife for Guan Yu, just to round out the Guan Family? :lol:

I thought Guan Yu was married to Xu Huang, Zhang Liao and co?

If Xu Yuan is right and Zhou Cang will be in 9, then I see the wife in at either 10 or 11 depending on Liao Hua.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:48 pm

@Dong Zhou: I think I'd disagree with your point of Cao Cao not having a wife in DW. In my opinion, Lady Bian is one of the few female characters who have more substance than being simply "someone's wife" and it would be a missed opportunity for a solid female character if they left her out.

She shouldn't be added for the sake of Cao Cao having a wife though. In fact, their relationship shouldn't be the major focus, rather Lady Bian's possible role in the whole kingdom, regarding her relationships with other characters. It should be acknowledged that they are husband and wife and their relationship could be shown in a side mode (like Ambition Mode or whatever they're going to do in the future), but for the story perspective, Lady Bian should be more of an independent character.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qu Hui » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:03 pm

Lord_Cao_Cao wrote:@Dong Zhou: I think I'd disagree with your point of Cao Cao not having a wife in DW. In my opinion, Lady Bian is one of the few female characters who have more substance than being simply "someone's wife" and it would be a missed opportunity for a solid female character if they left her out.

Dong was just giving an example of some of the arguments that people make for not including Lady Bian.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:09 pm

Qu Hui wrote:
Lord_Cao_Cao wrote:@Dong Zhou: I think I'd disagree with your point of Cao Cao not having a wife in DW. In my opinion, Lady Bian is one of the few female characters who have more substance than being simply "someone's wife" and it would be a missed opportunity for a solid female character if they left her out.

Dong was just giving an example of some of the arguments that people make for not including Lady Bian.

Then you all may completely ignore my post I guess. :lol: Sorry.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training