Dynasty Warriors 8

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 8

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:12 pm

Also, holy mother of all that is good and decent, Xu Shu is badass with his numbchuck-sword! Xu Shu's charge attacks = instantly yo-yo's razor-sharp blade in full 180-degree arcs, clears screen of all enemies even on Hard difficulty. And his charge attacks just keep going...

Very, very hard to reconcile with his 'I'm not worthy, I'm a failure, I'm totally worthless, nobody loves me' emo-tude, but... there you are. A bit like Siegfried in the Soul Calibur games, to be honest. The fact that he's a Shu Han character who defects to Cao Wei (however nominally in the RoTK fictional canon) also endears him to me, though.

But yes, regarding Wang Yi: she actually has freaking character instead of just an attitude, which is amazing, and again I wish they'd done way, way more with her. And I know I keep gushing over the DW8 female voice-acting, but - serious kudos to Michele Specht for her voice work there!
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby lcklasman » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:27 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Given DW's Ma Chao is never going to be allowed to have any flaw other then not worshipping Liu Bei earlier... well ok, bit of a temper, selling Wang Yi's revenge without hitting him or making her seem a bit crazy is a koei challenge. At the moment, it does feel like they slightly move it to the side but Wang Yi is an intresting, charismatic, intelligent woman who I greatly enjoy playing as or fighting against.

Glad your enjoying it WWD!

Haha not going to lie didn't like playing as her until after she got her weapon changed. The twin trishula just were too short ranged and it was kind of a pain getting the star objective done on her mission. But she still is a cool character and koei definetely did a good job with her... Assets.
lcklasman
Initiate

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:37 pm

Shen Ai wrote:As would I. If they just accepted that Shu can be dark and shady at times then the story would run smoother. Forcing the perception that one side is inherently good doesn't do justice to the characters (no one here could really say Koei's adaptation of Ma Chao is very riveting).

I just feel sorry for poor Ma Chao in the Koei games. He clearly is suffering from justice-Tourette's. :P

Dong Zhou wrote:Given DW's Ma Chao is never going to be allowed to have any flaw other then not worshipping Liu Bei earlier... well ok, bit of a temper, selling Wang Yi's revenge without hitting him or making her seem a bit crazy is a koei challenge. At the moment, it does feel like they slightly move it to the side but Wang Yi is an intresting, charismatic, intelligent woman who I greatly enjoy playing as or fighting against.

Glad your enjoying it WWD!

Thanks, Dong Zhou!

Icklasman wrote:I think it boils down to the fact that Ma Chao has become a legacy type character in DW with him being a virtuous hero. To be honest, Wang Yi's hatred of Ma Chao is pretty justifiable in real life and her bloodlust actually has reason to it. In DW she just seems like a yangire...

What's a yangire? That like a vampire?

[looks at TVTropes]

Oh. Okay, yeah, that's true. Not giving her any justifiable motivation for her revenge-lube against Ma Chao does make her seem a bit psychotic. Okay, more than a bit. Which is a shame, because if you think about her episodes with her daughter in Qiangdao and her revenge quest for Zhao Yue, she's really more of a Molly Weasley or an Ellen Ripley than a Harley Quinn.

lcklasman wrote:Haha not going to lie didn't like playing as her until after she got her weapon changed. The twin trishula just were too short ranged and it was kind of a pain getting the star objective done on her mission.

You mean Mount Dingjun? I didn't find getting the star objective that hard - use her Strong / EX attacks. Especially J-J-I-I (or □-□-∆-∆ on the PS3). Unless they're guarding, it's an instant flying knock-down, and she can carry through a long long way with those twin chai of hers! You're right, Mrs. Wang is not a long-range attacker or crowd-clearer. But her attacks can move, which is a plus when killing officers, if you can figure out how to steer her right. And IIRC, a lot of her attacks (including her simple I / ∆) can guard-break briefly.

Icklasman wrote:But she still is a cool character and koei definetely did a good job with her... Assets.

Ehh. Agreed. But aside from Yueying and a couple of others, Koei does a good job with every female character's, ah, assets. I'll gladly admit that I used to drool over Zhenji quite a bit, but nowadays I just kind of shrug at the character designs and costumes. :wink:

TBH, I'm just glad they have a female character in here whose motivation is something other than, I want to support my husband / father / family.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Shen Ai » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:17 pm

Do you think adding Zhao Ang would be detrimental to Wang Yi's character? Nothing against Zhao Ang, he seemed a solid fellow and leader, but I wouldn't want to see Wang Yi turn into... well the current Sun Shang Xiang.

Oh, and Xu Shu is very fun to play as. I suspect that is how he got 3rd place in the most popular character votes in Japan.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby lcklasman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:07 am

Shen Ai wrote:Do you think adding Zhao Ang would be detrimental to Wang Yi's character? Nothing against Zhao Ang, he seemed a solid fellow and leader, but I wouldn't want to see Wang Yi turn into... well the current Sun Shang Xiang.

Oh, and Xu Shu is very fun to play as. I suspect that is how he got 3rd place in the most popular character votes in Japan.

I don't really want Zhao Ang, but I do want Wang Yi to at least bring up specifically that, you know, Ma Chao held her and her already falling apart family hostage! Again, give her more reason to want to kill Ma Chao then "I hate you for something you did even though I don't actually mention what you did."
lcklasman
Initiate

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:57 pm

lcklasman wrote:
Shen Ai wrote:Do you think adding Zhao Ang would be detrimental to Wang Yi's character? Nothing against Zhao Ang, he seemed a solid fellow and leader, but I wouldn't want to see Wang Yi turn into... well the current Sun Shang Xiang.

I don't really want Zhao Ang, but I do want Wang Yi to at least bring up specifically that, you know, Ma Chao held her and her already falling apart family hostage! Again, give her more reason to want to kill Ma Chao then "I hate you for something you did even though I don't actually mention what you did."

^ This.

Not every married character in DW needs to or should have his (or her, in this case) spouse towing alongside them. But it's nice if they can have that backstory in any event. And especially here where it would actually, you know, make sense.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby lcklasman » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:37 am

WeiWenDi wrote:
lcklasman wrote:

^ This.

Not every married character in DW needs to or should have his (or her, in this case) spouse towing alongside them. But it's nice if they can have that backstory in any event. And especially here where it would actually, you know, make sense.

Honestly in terms of what Zhao Ang did, I don't really feel he accomplished enough to get a spot on the roster. Then again, Bao Sanniang and Guan Suo did... And they are not even real...
lcklasman
Initiate

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:14 pm

Probably. Pretending Wang Yi didn't exist, I think Zhao Ang or figures like Jiang Xu were, however capable, way too localized for the game. Wang Yi makes it even more of a no. Koei can do good romances, they are even able to do ones where the lady has the whip hand, but one always worries we will get... well more Yue Ying's or Qiao's or...

I do like Xu Shu. I was very sceptical when he was added but they avoided what I feared, made him a human figure. Still needs a "Kill Xu Shu's mother" stage
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:30 pm

Shen Ai wrote:Oh, and Xu Shu is very fun to play as. I suspect that is how he got 3rd place in the most popular character votes in Japan.

Oh, that doesn't surprise me one bit. Otaku culture is obsessed with the brooding emo badass archetype.

Dong Zhou wrote:I do like Xu Shu. I was very sceptical when he was added but they avoided what I feared, made him a human figure. Still needs a "Kill Xu Shu's mother" stage

TecmoKoei - your fanbase has spoken. Xu Shu's mother must be killed in the next DW8 DLC pack! :devil:
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:41 pm

Wu hypo question
Assault of Xin Ye, how long do you have to take to fail to get the star objective and is there a "you took too long signal?" Because it seems ridiculously easy to get the star and I want to know what happens in the stage (plus next battle pre-story) if you fail
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training