Dynasty Warriors 8

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 8

Unread postby VRMM » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:34 pm

I tried that, it is the old costume pack 6 (the one with the ROTK 12 costumes) and it keeps saying to install the vita. But the website and store clearly say it works on PS3
VRMM
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:33 pm

LordSimaYi wrote:Am I the only person who wants either Gongsun Kang or Gongsun Gong? I just feel they'll add a lot to the underrated Guan Du mission(s). Also they could probably do something in the Gongsun Yuan rebellion Jin mission.

Yes, yes you are :wink:

VRMM wrote:I tried that, it is the old costume pack 6 (the one with the ROTK 12 costumes) and it keeps saying to install the vita. But the website and store clearly say it works on PS3

Doesn't seem like a happy answer but found this
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:29 pm

Gongsun Du and Gongsun Kang? Seems like a bit of a dodgy add there.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LordSimaYi » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:33 am

Dong Zhou wrote:
LordSimaYi wrote:Am I the only person who wants either Gongsun Kang or Gongsun Gong? I just feel they'll add a lot to the underrated Guan Du mission(s). Also they could probably do something in the Gongsun Yuan rebellion Jin mission.

Yes, yes you are :wink:

Shen Ai wrote:Gongsun Du and Gongsun Kang? Seems like a bit of a dodgy add there.

Oh :(

I fought it would be a little fun addition to the others and maybe you could play as them in the mission where Cao Cao is chasing out the Yuan sons. Then we could see them again in the Jin story (Just a bit of DW fiction) when Gongsun Yuan have stolen their land and Sima Yi needs to save the two Gongsuns.
Also I think they should be played out as a wimpy comedy duo, just to add a bit of flavour.

ImageImageImage Together Forever :cry:
LordSimaYi
Student

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:49 pm

I just think the Gongsun clan, though their rulers were intresting figures, are just so far out of the civil war for so long that it would be add to really build them up properly.

Finished the history story of Lu Bu and was rather disappointed, perhaps the worst of the five DW8 history stories. The positives were that, like the other sort of what-if battles, each of the battles was entertaining even if trying to get defections was frustrating. Battles had a lot of things to try and do, events and twists and turns.

The story started out pretty well as I enjoyed battles, it touched on various characters like Dong, Lu Bu's sheer force of power. I was also impressed by a brave early call
big but early spoiler
taking out Diao Chan, so key to Lu Bu stories, early on. She provided the heart to him often and having to go without could go wrong.
As time went on, the story began to struggle to hold. It seemed to not quite work out what Lu Bu's goal was, what tone to quite strike and that seemed to waver. It also had the least intresting lead of the five kingdoms in 8, Lu Bu is just a complete idiot and a bully. There is nothing to warm one to Lu Bu and he can just get frustrating.

It makes some intresting calls near the end but it doesn't quite pull them off
big spoilers
The sudden collapse into dismay and doubts by the officers and soldiers near the end, just perhaps comes in a bit suddenly. The end cutscene, intresting that they went for both Chen Gong and Lu Bu behaving badly but it didn't get gel into a sad end.

In terms of the new characters, Chen Gong took awhile for me to warm to but eventually, he clicked for me. He has a good moveset and his... flamboyant style make him stand out, he is an entertaining figure. I rather like him. Perhaps due to not playing as her in a stage, Lu Lingqi is kind of... just there.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:38 pm

Lu Bu's story was always charming to me because it was a nice romance. And Diao Chan wasn't clingy and soppy like a lot of the other wives in the series. In DW6 she was just using him, and Lu Bu was fine with that. She grew to care for him.

DW7 and DW8 really stripped that away from them. There isn't much of a romance present and Lu Bu seems more concerned with proving his might (a highly overused characteristic in this series).

I think the story would benefit more if it didn't begin with Dong Zhuo's Assassination. Instead, it should show Lu Bu help Dong Zhuo defeat the Coalition and then halfway through he's assassinated by Lu Bu. From there Lu Bu contends with Sun Ce (as Lu Bu killed his father), Jia Xu/Zhang Xiu/Li Jue, and Liu Bei etc.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:10 pm

I would agree with most of that, I loved the romances of old.

Shen Ai wrote:I think the story would benefit more if it didn't begin with Dong Zhuo's Assassination.

In DW8, it starts with the massacre of the eunuchs?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:38 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I would agree with most of that, I loved the romances of old.

Shen Ai wrote:I think the story would benefit more if it didn't begin with Dong Zhuo's Assassination.

In DW8, it starts with the massacre of the eunuchs?

Yes, good point, but I mean I wish it didn't just build up to the assassination so quickly and maybe show how Lu Bu is charmed into betraying the man. It always feels quite rapid.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:04 am

Lu Bu's end cutscene is actually one of my favourites. KOEI did good job in making facial expressions and body language, not to mention a fitting music. I especially like how Zhang Fei shifts his look to Liu Bei and intensely waits for his answer.
Do what you believe is right and don't be distracted by praises or insults.
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:07 pm

Shen Ai wrote:Yes, good point, but I mean I wish it didn't just build up to the assassination so quickly and maybe show how Lu Bu is charmed into betraying the man. It always feels quite rapid.

I agree with that to an extent, it is difficult for koei to build to it given it happens fairly quickly in terms of stages but they could have done better

Xiahou Jia wrote:Lu Bu's end cutscene is actually one of my favourites. KOEI did good job in making facial expressions and body language, not to mention a fitting music. I especially like how Zhang Fei shifts his look to Liu Bei and intensely waits for his answer.

I can understand why and I admire what they tried to do, it just didn't click for me
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training