Dynasty Warriors 8

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Dynasty Warriors 8

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:51 pm

I am actually excited for this game, I've always been a huge Warriors series fan even through the bad times of DW6. may be one of the only people that actually still enjoys the gameplay but I still find it fun, it just doesn't really get old to me. However I do believe they should make the game harder and the Ai smarter. DW3 will always be my favorite DW game due to the better Ai and challenge it presented. I'm curious to see how Koei decides to change things up with the story this time around. DW7's stories, although short, were excellently written and were the most dramatic and emotionally gripping out of any game in the series.The reason Koei adds so many characters and why most fans want a bunch of them is because it opens up new angles for certain battles, allows for different/new perspectives on battles, gives a chance for entirely new battles to be introduced, or gives a chance for new weapons to be added. The last point isn't really valid anymore due to the weapon switch system but back in the old PS2 days adding new characters meant new movesets and play styles for gamers to use. Plus there is just something cool about seeing some of your favorite heroes from the novel turn from generics into these completely unique fleshed out(in most cases) characters. At least that is how I think of it. However, as a rule of thumb I don't want Koei to ever add a character unless they are confident that they could add something to the game and will be utilized properly, I don't feel like DW7 did that for many of the characters though. Many of them were still there just for the sake of adding some non-generic faces in a few battles which is just plain wrong.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:56 pm

Elitemsh wrote:What were these huge steps Dong? I assume you mean purely with the story mode. I found that I couldn't get into that due to the terrible AI and super short stages. Actually I didn't even complete Wu or Jin story.

A story that was actually good (Wei's), gameplay that holds up as decently enjoyable as long as I take a break between finishing a storymode and starting another one, not having to play HeFei a gazillion times, doing kingdom mode in a way that worked far more then 4 and thus stopping the individual musou's.

It's not great but the most fun I have had with DW since... 3 perhaps. Maybe 4

Didn't realize the other series were doing so badly. Had it not been for 7, I would certainly be joining you in calling for such reform but want to see what they do with 8 before going back to the "must cut, must reform fast" calls.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Liao Ce » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:10 pm

I definitely see the points about the battles being simpler and shorter. Altho I haven't actually played 7, 5 started it. And I have played 6 (didn't like it) & Warriors Orochi 3, which is based on DW7. While enemies can kill me in a few hits, I can also kill them in a few hits. The emphasis is definitely on short battles. I would rather play long battles.
But I wouldn't say it's a lack of difficulty. In WO3 on Chaos, if the enemy has one well timed Mosou, it's game over... even if you were at full life. Altho I can do it on Chaos, it isn't an easy game. There are times when one mistake is all it takes to loose the battle.
I remember in 5 Empires, I would set my own handicaps; like: not equipping items, or not giving myself any reserve officers. But I frequently do such things in games I deem a little to easy.
Like most games, DW suffers from medium being too easy yet hard being too hard. I know 5 did. But I felt WO3 was an excellent game for difficulty. Chaos is perfect. If 7 is anything like it, I'm not sure what the complaint is...
I can absolutely agree on the length of battles tho.
Liao Ce
Academic

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Elitemsh wrote:Are you guys actually genuinely excited about this game? Or is this discussion for the purpose of discussion? What's with the character demand? It's like the first thing people talk about when Koei announces a new DW game is what new characters will be added. Shouldn't the demand for more challenging gameplay be greater than what characters someone wants added?

There are way too many bums in the game already. Am I the only one who wants the character list to be dramatically cut and an increased focus on difficulty? They must concentrate on the AI. The battles should be made much longer and more gruelling, like they used to be. Koei needs to make us work a lot harder for success. Is it this new generation? I have a feeling that Koei is making the games like this now because these younger players want an easy time of things and just want to feel invincible in the game. It's wrong. We should be busting our butt to win virtually every stage, no victory should come easy. The game is based on war after all. It's the fan base that must have changed over the years. In the past Koei did make their games genuinely tough but they have changed their priorities according to what this current generation wants.

For me the main point about the game is that you're controlling a single warrior and up against insane odds. Therefore DW should logically be one of the hardest games out there. It's true that the characters are powerful in the game's story but how did they become like this? You can't become a better warrior if you fight people so much weaker than you. I realise this is a game but it should have just a hint of realism. It would be more rewarding that way.

I agree they should focus on gameplay heavily, but the Wei story was good, and the Wu story was strong up until Zhou Yu died.

And besides, technicalities such as quality don't sell. Animation and an abundance of cool new characters does though.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:02 am

anyone esle think Shu had a terrible stoy in DW7? it just reeked of designated hero
Ding Feng/Sun Shang Xiang is my new one true crack pairing XD (thank you ROT3KXI)
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:23 am

Xia Kyoto wrote:...and we would spend hours at a time just trying to duke out battles that seemed outrageously hard, because you had to be strategic often to win.

This is the key, for me.

Liao Ce wrote:In WO3 on Chaos, if the enemy has one well timed Mosou, it's game over... even if you were at full life. Altho I can do it on Chaos, it isn't an easy game. There are times when one mistake is all it takes to loose the battle.

In my opinion, this is the wrong kind of difficulty. It's artificial, it's just like "battles are so short and easy now, let's make it so one mistake just ends them". Good difficulty should come from having to make tough decisions about what to do where, when. It should come from interesting battlefield layouts, etc. It shouldn't just come from making you perfect combos so you don't leave an opening or you instantly die.

Elitemsh wrote:IMO, Koei should show the guts to make some radical changes. Drop at least 60% of the current characters. This will allow them to be more refined in their efforts and make each character unique. If some fans want to complain over this then screw them. The smarter ones will understand and respect the move. Stop aiming for quantity. We all know what’s more important. Focus on making the enemy much more formidable rather than the controlled character.

I agree with you that this is probably what's required to revive the series, but I think there's approximately zero percent chance of that happening. This isn't some great proud art for Koei. It's an easy/lazy formula that they can crank out and make some modest money. I see it being especially low-priority since their merger.

It would definitely be interesting to see them try to go back to the DW1 roster or something along those lines, just have like 8-10 characters with completely unique play styles and capabilities, and really tight, focused storylines. Improve the battlefield design, make the battles a lot longer/bigger, provide some real strategic consequences. Give the weapon/item system some depth. But keep the things that drew people to the series in the first place. You should still be able to hack through swaths of unsuspecting grunts. But it should feel like an accomplishment. There should be tension. Not just "gotta be careful not to get one-hit-killed".
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:22 am

Elitemsh wrote:Are you guys actually genuinely excited about this game? Or is this discussion for the purpose of discussion? What's with the character demand? It's like the first thing people talk about when Koei announces a new DW game is what new characters will be added. Shouldn't the demand for more challenging gameplay be greater than what characters someone wants added?

There are way too many bums in the game already. Am I the only one who wants the character list to be dramatically cut and an increased focus on difficulty? They must concentrate on the AI. The battles should be made much longer and more gruelling, like they used to be. Koei needs to make us work a lot harder for success. Is it this new generation? I have a feeling that Koei is making the games like this now because these younger players want an easy time of things and just want to feel invincible in the game. It's wrong. We should be busting our butt to win virtually every stage, no victory should come easy. The game is based on war after all. It's the fan base that must have changed over the years. In the past Koei did make their games genuinely tough but they have changed their priorities according to what this current generation wants.

For me the main point about the game is that you're controlling a single warrior and up against insane odds. Therefore DW should logically be one of the hardest games out there. It's true that the characters are powerful in the game's story but how did they become like this? You can't become a better warrior if you fight people so much weaker than you. I realise this is a game but it should have just a hint of realism. It would be more rewarding that way.

I don't even play dynasty warriors anymore but yeah, you're right. They should be focusing on improving the gameplay over the characters. That being said, I like their character depictions and I don't think they need to make character cuts to make the game better. They just need to improve their game design. I think they had the right idea with strikeforce actually.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Zheng » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:10 am

I hope that they're gonna release this one for the pc too, I'm just gonna wait another year for a ps3 so I can get it really cheap with empires.
Liu Zheng
Apprentice

Unread postby Shen Ai » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:31 pm

Xu Huang fan wrote:anyone esle think Shu had a terrible stoy in DW7? it just reeked of designated hero

Yeah, the Shu story was pretty awful. Even the Jin story was better.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:44 am

I thought the Jin story was the best of Dw7, it actually cover most of the main battles during its time which the other kingdoms stories didn't do, it included all of its characters except Xiahou Ba into the story, had the best character development, and had an epic final battle that was followed up by Koei's best conclusion and best cinematic in any of their games.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training