Zhong Hui! Why oh why?!?!

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Zhong Hui! Why oh why?!?!

Unread postby DragonAtma » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:18 pm

zhuge_liang wrote:OK, time to vent. I loved Zhong Hui in ROTK, but why the awful characterisation in DW7? As far as I'm aware there is not the slightest hint in ROTK of the arrogant & annoying personality of Zhong Hui in DW7.

Any ideas as to why they made him like this?

I hope they change him in future games.

</vent>

"This decides me," replied Zhong Hui. "Success, and the empire is mine; failure, and I go west into Shu to be another Liu Bei, but without his mistakes."
-- the novel, 119:30

If he sees only two possibilities -- one where his rebellion makes him emperor of both shu and wei, and one where it makes him emperor of shu -- how can that be anything BUT arrogant?
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:45 am

Yeah I don't see why focusing on that aspect and making a unique character is so bad!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:21 am

DragonAtma wrote:
zhuge_liang wrote:OK, time to vent. I loved Zhong Hui in ROTK, but why the awful characterisation in DW7? As far as I'm aware there is not the slightest hint in ROTK of the arrogant & annoying personality of Zhong Hui in DW7.

Any ideas as to why they made him like this?

I hope they change him in future games.

</vent>

"This decides me," replied Zhong Hui. "Success, and the empire is mine; failure, and I go west into Shu to be another Liu Bei, but without his mistakes."
-- the novel, 119:30

If he sees only two possibilities -- one where his rebellion makes him emperor of both shu and wei, and one where it makes him emperor of shu -- how can that be anything BUT arrogant?

I agree completely. He was entirely arrogant in the novel and even in history. The portrayal in Dynasty Warriors is perfect. Let's face it, the only reason people dislike the character is the inherent FABULOUSNESS. That is just too bad. To me I actually find it the funniest and most awesome part about him.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:30 am

Yeah I love that aspect of his character!! I think it's good that they are not afraid to add inherent Fabulousness into the games!! Means that Zhang He is not alone in being himself instead of the typical big scary general!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Korin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:20 pm

His appearance and how he talks makes him pure 100% Arrogant since he always annoyed Deng Ai.*

(From my personal knowledge of Zhong Hui)*
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:35 pm

Not at all a fan of Zhong Hui but at least his arrogance was portrayed as something a little different too Cao Pi's arrogance and Sima Shi's pride. He came off as something unique and special, even though he was historically neither.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby MhiHayoli » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:05 am

Zhong Hui was quite arrogant in the novel, but I found him very entertaining in DW7 XD
I love how they make him more like a mix of Sima Yi, Cao Pi and Yuan Shao, but just a shy guy with women XD I giggled myself to dead with him in the team XD
"I do not speak to change minds. I do not trust in the sweetening lies you speak with false dignity. I care nothing for your worldly treasures and pity you all for you need them to feel value in life."
-LordBloodySoul-
MhiHayoli
Assistant

Location: I am now traveling with Lord Lu Bu, Tao and Umi Mari in search for a new home base.

Previous

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training