Disrespectful Ending

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Disrespectful Ending

Unread postby pyrozack » Mon May 09, 2011 8:33 pm

I didn't really want them to bring in the Jin because it's all just so depressing. Not only that, but Koei seemed to make an effort of mocking the efforts of the Three Kingdoms. I mean, Sima Zhao outright calls them 'out-dated ideals'...which is foolishness. I mean really, how is taking care of the people an 'out-dated ideal'? Or building a land where the class system is abolished and everyone gains his position based on merit, not birth-right? Feh...between that and how much I loathe Liu Shan, the Jin campaign just annoys me.
pyrozack
Tyro

Re: Disrespectful Ending

Unread postby Starscream » Thu May 12, 2011 4:18 pm

I've not seen DW7 ending for Jin before and my experience with DW is very little. However, I do observe that Koei only imports superficial aspects of the novel or history into the game and exaggerates on such features.

Jin overthrew Wei and conquered Shu and Wu in history so Koei built on this notion of overthrowing the old powers and old ideals and made Jin like a hooligan state.

The DW characters are generally stereotyped according to their legends and the characterization is shallow. Being a hack and slash game, I don't think we can expect Koei to delve too deeply into character development or story plot. Look at Lu Bu. I can simply substitute a Godzilla in his place and it won't make a difference. :lol:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby SunXia » Thu May 12, 2011 5:41 pm

Well they really over did Liu Bei in the game!! Anyone sneezes in-game and he'd rubbing their back!! I don't see why Jin shouldn't be given their own personalities and beliefs regarding the issue given they conquer all in the end!! Notthat they last very long either!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu May 12, 2011 6:22 pm

Not played DW7 so can't comment as much as I would like

1) It's a civil war, it's depressing. :wink: I had wanted the three kingdoms story to be expanded beyond Wu Zhang so Jin was going to come with that so I was delighted, sorry it was the opposite for you though. Maybe they will do some lighter tone in the future.

2) Honestly, I mock it so glad koei does it for me :P I liked the attempt with meritocracy idea with Wei but somehow doubt Cao Pi won a talent contest and let's leave it at that example. Can't comment on Sima Zhao's objections, imagine they are more to do with youth and victor feeling then anything I said.

3) What do you dislike about the game Liu Shan? Been hearing mixed things about him.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Sat May 21, 2011 4:27 pm

I too find it depressing actually, not as much as Wei's ending though. But that's because I'm Weiist :)

Liu Shan looked alright to me. After reading the novel I was even surprised for him to be smarter in DW7 than he really should be.
Now Sun Quan...that's another story. It's pretty hard for me to like him in DW7 after watching his duel with Zhang Liao in the last battle.
Do what you believe is right and don't be distracted by praises or insults.
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Sat May 21, 2011 7:43 pm

in sun quan's defense, trying to take on zhang liao in a direct fight would be as effective as jumping off an plane over 9000 feet in the air without a parashute or so.
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby GuoBia » Sun May 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Didn't Gan Ning take him on? : O
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Sun May 22, 2011 11:05 pm

in the game Gan Ning and Ling Tong took him on the first time at hei fei.

you take on hei fei again as Wu's last stage and Sun Quan is the one that fights Zhang Liao, with the help of Lian Shi and Ding Feng that is
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Liufeng » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:49 am

I see what you mean... I too disliked the Jin calling others belief "outdated"... I mean, let's imagine if the three kingdoms rulers truly were like that (of course they weren't, but let's imagine). Liu Bei wants a world created by the support of the people for the people. Cao Cao wants a world where everyone would with no ranks and would have to climb and make efforts to become someone. And Sun Jian... a world ruled... by family... a bit weird... Don't know if he wants a world ruled by his family or a world ruled by laws centered about the family... ? But still, the Simas mock others ideals but they don't even say the kind of world they want ! (unless it's a world where they kill every ignorants and conservators...)
dw8 Wish
Cheng Pu/Xu Sheng/Zhuge Ke/Lu Kang
Liao Hua/Fa Zheng/Zhang Yi/Wang Ping
Cao Hong/Bian Shi/Man Chong/Cao Rui
Zhang Chunhua/Chen Tai/Wen Yang/Jia Chong/Sima Yan/Yang Hu/Du Yu
Gongsun Zan/Yuan Shu/Cai Shi/Gongsun Yuan
Liufeng
Student

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:54 pm

Just seen an iroiny in the way the Sun's are presented. Of all three clans they are the one with the least family status and the ones whose sucess was very much based upon personal merit (Sun Jian and Ce). Now I know that Liu Bei's imperial heritage became useful later and Cao Cao wasn't compareable to say Yuan Shao in clan status but really of the 3 they were the least likely to be arguing for a system based upon family yet that is how DW presents them.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training