Change in Music

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Change in Music

Unread postby bugg333 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:17 am

I think it would be in the best interests of many if koei were a little more open minded. First of all, it's been years since i've actually seen a commercial for a koei product. Why can't they invest in a few commercials? Sometimes, you have to spend money to make money. (of course i still love koei and always will though)

But one major thing that has been on my mind is... what if DW had a change in music? What if they put in instrumental hip hop? some heavy metal? some traditional oriental music? different genre in different places? why shouldn't they? I think it would be awesome. I practically pissed myself when i tried playing hu lao gate, as zhang liao, with Window Shopper (instrumental), by 50 Cent. It went perfectly with the snow and death.

and imagine the battle of fan castle, with your typical heavy metal (instrumental again of course) in the back.

The battle of Guan Du, or the battle of Yi Ling- imagine those battles, but with the music that played in the background when dueling in rotk XI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4PSGxqH7T8)

point is- whether they choose to invest in more popular artists or not, it wouldn't kill them to have their usual artists play a different type of music here and there.... i mean, sure- we can keep alot of it, like lu bu's theme song. Cuz that is classic. Everyone knows that tune who plays the dw games. but variety in music would make these games golden for me and probably other people in the general public if i may so assume.

thoughts?
He who walks in the company of fools, suffers a long way; company with fools, as with an enemy, is always painful; company with the wise is pleasure, like meeting with kinsfolk.
bugg333
Langzhong

Re: Change in Music

Unread postby Awesomeness008 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:57 pm

Why can't they invest in a few commercials? Sometimes, you have to spend money to make money. (of course i still love koei and always will though)

When I am at home watching TV I never see Koei commercials, however they are out there. Go to some various fan/preview sites (or even Youtube) and they will have links to previews and advertisements for the latest Koei games. Also, official Koei game sites will have previews, so you can always look there if you are interested.

Now you have to consider, why not publisize in more easily reachable places? I think the answer is Koei has already developed a grouping of fans, and currently their main focus is meeting the wants of those fans, not attracting more. You said, "You have to spend money to make money." That is definetly true. However, you also have to spend money in order to lose money. Commercials on TV can be expensive, and I don't think Koei has much to gain from them. Romance of the Three Kingdoms is not the most popular topic in various areas (I personally live in the US, and none of my friends are true fans). True fans that are interested in Three Kingdom games will go online and search for previews. There is no point in wasting money to attract people that aren't that interested.

But one major thing that has been on my mind is... what if DW had a change in music? What if they put in instrumental hip hop? some heavy metal? some traditional oriental music? different genre in different places? why shouldn't they? I think it would be awesome. I practically pissed myself when i tried playing hu lao gate, as zhang liao, with Window Shopper (instrumental), by 50 Cent. It went perfectly with the snow and death.

I don't want to be racist, but I am assuming you also live in the US because you listen to 50 cent. Keep in mind DW is created by the Japanese and has fans all over the world, Europe especially. I don't think the Japanese and Europeans are interested in listening to 50 cent and other pop artists in the US. Koei has to create music that appeals to all of its fans, not just one particular group. I have no problem with their current music. I think it sums up themes and is good in the background. I would rather see improvements in other aspects of the game rather than the soundtrack.
Awesomeness008
Initiate

Unread postby bugg333 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:19 am

Now you have to consider, why not publisize in more easily reachable places? I think the answer is Koei has already developed a grouping of fans, and currently their main focus is meeting the wants of those fans, not attracting more. You said, "You have to spend money to make money." That is definetly true. However, you also have to spend money in order to lose money. Commercials on TV can be expensive, and I don't think Koei has much to gain from them. Romance of the Three Kingdoms is not the most popular topic in various areas (I personally live in the US, and none of my friends are true fans). True fans that are interested in Three Kingdom games will go online and search for previews. There is no point in wasting money to attract people that aren't that interested.

I couldn't agree more. You were dead-on with this statement. I forgot about how the koei fanbase is

I don't want to be racist, but I am assuming you also live in the US because you listen to 50 cent. Keep in mind DW is created by the Japanese and has fans all over the world, Europe especially. I don't think the Japanese and Europeans are interested in listening to 50 cent and other pop artists in the US. Koei has to create music that appeals to all of its fans, not just one particular group. I have no problem with their current music. I think it sums up themes and is good in the background. I would rather see improvements in other aspects of the game rather than the soundtrack.

There are only a few 50 tracks i like. But many hip hop artists surpass him greatly. I also wouldn't care much if they didn't use any specific hip hop artists, but if even one of their songs had a hip hop kind of beat behind it, i would cry with joy.

Although, through all the other forums that i posted this topic in, i have yet to recieve a reply from any single member of either of these forums who didn't open diss hip hop. it's sad. not only does it mean society is closing itself- refusing to accept others cultures, but it also means that the true image of hip hop has officially been publicly shitted on, thanks to corporate america.. sigh.

and i hate 80% of all pop artists. Not just america either.

So what ive gathered in other forums, is that a more traditional/classical approach to the music would be great, which i completely agree with. if koei took a more realistic approach to the music in DW (i mean come on, they didn't have electricity, why would they fight- accompanied by j-rock??!! ) by means of more traditional oriental music. people have also enjoyed the subtle differences included in previous titles, such as the various nanman themes koei threw in...
if koei took that approach, i would let the idea of including a few hip hop beats go. But as long as they use that j-rock stuff, i just have to wonder why they wouldn't embrace other ideas outside of jrock.

i guess i just have to turn the bgm off... but the idea is still out there....

thanks for replying too
He who walks in the company of fools, suffers a long way; company with fools, as with an enemy, is always painful; company with the wise is pleasure, like meeting with kinsfolk.
bugg333
Langzhong

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:32 pm

I normally mute the TV and listen to something like Linkin Park when I play on DW anyway so...
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby plunged » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:24 pm

I would also like to see a change for the soundtrack. I'm getting a bit bored of these random guitartunes. The tunes you hear do not give the game a proper atmosphere imo (except for a couple).
Please check out: Gongjin's Campaign Memorials: a Three Kingdoms Wiki.
Now with translations of: He Jin, Huangfu Song, Zhu Jun, Lu Zhi, Cheng Pu, Sima Shi, Lady Wang and many more.

Read Romance of the Three Kingdoms online (with corrected names)
plunged
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrbeate » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:08 am

I like the soundtrack or beats in the game Afro Samurai. I i would appreciate it if they put some songs by the artists that did Afro Samurai's background music.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby bugg333 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:59 am

Yea, when it comes to rock, alot of people (in other forums with this topic) have favored the sountrack of dw4

thoughts on that?

and Afro samurai was a tight show, with tight music so i agree with you on that one buddy
bugg333
Langzhong

Unread postby Sean » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:15 am

DW3 music was great.
DW4 music was pretty good too.
DW5 music was pretty much the same as DW3 music. Still good though.
And what the hell is up with DW6's soundtrack.

Anyways, I mute the television and put on some other music while I play DW--well, I used to, I don't really play much DW anymore, but you get the idea.

As for alternatives to DW music, I'd personally prefer something louder, perhaps something like Hardcore. But that's just me. Or something Tribal-ish for the Nanman levels, it'd be fitting.
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Open 24/7 for discussion. [Please take time zones into consideration.]
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training