Dynasty Warriors Survey

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

What do you think?

Good idea! This will be fun!
73%
Eh... not bad.
No votes
Is this really what you do with your freetime?
5%
Kittens!
23%

Total votes : 22

Dynasty Warriors Survey

Unread postby James » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:09 am

Hi everyone!

I'm making something which might be a bit of fun — a little survey for Dynasty Warriors. Basically, it will have some simple questions — questions nearly all of us have answered before, perhaps even in topics here — about characters and the game.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Here are the questions I have so far:

What do you think of the Dynasty Warriors series?
What do you think of the Xtreme Legends expansions?
What do you think of the Empires expansions?

What is the most important thing to focus on in developing Dynasty Warriors?
What is the least important thing to focus on in developing Dynasty Warriors?
*I would love to hear ideas of what options should be placed here.

Who is your favorite character?
Which character do you dislike the most?

Who is your favorite Wei character?
Who is your least favorite Wei character?
Which Wei character would you remove?
Who would you add as a new Wei character?

Who is your favorite Shu character?
Who is your least favorite Shu character?
Which Shu character would you remove?
Who would you add as a new Shu character?

Who is your favorite Wu character?
Who is your least favorite Wu character?
Which Wu character would you remove?
Who would you add as a new Wu character?

Who is your favorite other character?
Who is your least favorite other character?
Which other character would you remove?
Who would you add as a new other character?

Can you think of any new questions that should be added?

- - - - - - - - - -

I have plenty of reasons for working on this. I'm actually building a code library that will allow me to do some really cool stuff on Kongming's Archives, but there are other fun benefits.

First, once a large collection of data is gathered I'm going to send the overall answers (not individual user data) to Koei so they can ignore or take interest in it as they please, perhaps playing some role in helping the community to have a say in future Dynasty Warriors games.

Second, I'm going to put all the data together after a while so we can enjoy all of these odd statistics ourselves. It might be fun to see who really is the most popular character from each kingdom, or who it is in each kingdom that people really dislike. Does that make you think of any other questions you would like answers to? Post them below and perhaps I'll include them!

Third, this and similar surveys will help to create data which can be used on Kongming's Archives to taylor the experience to individual users and the community. Knowing who the popular officers are (there will be other surveys about general interest which have nothing to do with Dynasty Warriors) would allow me to present popular officers by default in different sections, or a person, while logged in, might be able to see their favorite officers wherever they go in the site without any effort.

Fourth, I'll probably create a little BBCode output that will allow people to copy their answers in a forum-friendly format so they can share with everyone else. We can probably create some interesting topics with that.

- - - - - - - - - -

If you're interested, help me come up with some questions to add before launching it!

- - - - - - - - - -

Here is a screenshot of what I'm playing around with while making this new feature:

Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Re: Dynasty Warriors Survey

Unread postby MistroPain » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:42 am

Do you think female characters should be in the game?
Who is your favourite female character?
Who is your least favourite female character?
Which female character would you add to the game?
Which female character would you remove from the game?

Which game has your favourite character designs?
Which game has your least favourite character designs?
Do you find DW offensive to the portrayal of characters in any way?

Out of ten what would you rate DW (10 being the best, 1 being total crap)?
Which DW game do you think is the best throughout the series (including XL and Empires games)?

Which is your favourite DW battle?
Which is your least favourite DW battle?
Which DW installment do you believe had the best battles?
Which DW installment do you believe had the worst battles?

On average how many days a week do you play DW? (Once a month should also be a valid option)
On average how many hours a day (one the days you play) do you play DW?

Do you believe the DW series progresses enough?
Do you believe that Omega Force is a the right Dev for DW?

Good idea BTW James :D
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:26 am

I would say remove the "who would you like to see removed" question. Too much potential for abuse there, methinks. :P Besides that, though, I like it a lot.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby James » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:20 am

Thanks, MistroPain. Some of those are great suggestions. :)

Sun Gongli wrote:I would say remove the "who would you like to see removed" question. Too much potential for abuse there, methinks. :P Besides that, though, I like it a lot.

How's that? I included a 'Nobody!' option. :pika:
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby LittleDragonZ » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:15 pm

Good idea to put it on the site, so that the site won't be swarming with messages. I think it would take quite a while to get a decent amount though.

You could try asking questions like:

Do you prefer the old combat system to the new Renbu system?

Do you think Koei should release their expansions (XL and Empires) as a whole new package? * I don't think Koei would listen to this though, they would've already and know they can make more money altogether by releasing those individually, and keeping us locked onto the forums by doing so yearly*
Behold the spear of Little Dragon!
LittleDragonZ
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:23 pm

There do need to be some corrections done to the officer database before we kick this into full gear, though. There are a lot of duplicate officers (the Chen Qun's are all the same person, for instance, and there are mistranslations/duplicate spellings for Rui Zhi, Liao Hua, and a few others).
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby James » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:37 pm

Sun Gongli wrote:There do need to be some corrections done to the officer database before we kick this into full gear, though. There are a lot of duplicate officers (the Chen Qun's are all the same person, for instance, and there are mistranslations/duplicate spellings for Rui Zhi, Liao Hua, and a few others).

List any problems you see in the Development Project thread so we can start digging into them. I've noticed a few of these things too but I tend to sort them out when I come across them (although it can be a lot of work). I'm not going to sweat it for a little project like this, though, as you can tell the major officers apart well enough. (I do want to get some of those things fixed regardless, though).
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:03 pm

Where's the survey? I want to do it!

A few more questions I'd like to see:

- Which is your favourite weapon?
- Which is your favourite move?
- What is your favourite challenge (in challenge mode)?
- What is your least favourite challenge?
- Kingdom-based plotline or character-based plotline?
- (For those who know the novel: ) Which character deviation do you like best? (I'm not sure how to phrase this. Perhaps I should say, "Out of all the characters who deviate from their characterization in the novel, who do you like best?")
- What would prompt you to buy a new installment of DW? (Options may include: loyalty to the series, good graphics, new characters, storyline, interesting gameplay, replay value, etc.)

Under "favourite/disliked character", perhaps we could separate like/dislike based on character moveset, personality, looks, etc.?

And is it possible to have questions specific to each installment? For example, I like the Sun Quan in DW4 but not the one in DW5. And it's a bit odd to ask which character you'd like to remove since DW6 has already axed a whole bunch of people, and my answer would be different depending on whether we're talking about DW2 or DW5 or DW6.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:32 pm

This ambitious little project was designed to be scalable. I planned on having a current survey for whatever, but all answered surveys (and past surveys) would be archived so people could go back and change answers or answer questions they missed. Some pretty darn exceptional processing is done to render and sort the long selection lists from the database so if we do something like game-based favorites it might be good in a follow-up Dynasty Warriors survey. We could really create whatever we feel like once I get everything complete.

The best part is that I have finished a lot of the really hard work required in getting this to function. Quite a bit of polishing is necessary and I need to make sure caching is done very carefully (otherwise this sort of thing could land me in in the world of dedicated servers) but it is going smoothly so far.

My Dynasty Warriors knowledge isn't too great these days, though!

So anything like, 'What is your favorite/least favorite challenge?' would be much much easier to implement if you could share a comprehensive list that might actually be used, or built upon by other members. Otherwise I'd have to go back through releases and find all the challenges, read up on the ones I've forgotten, and make sure I didn't leave out any great ones. The results wouldn't be so great if a favorite was left out!
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:35 pm

James wrote:So anything like, 'What is your favorite/least favorite challenge?' would be much much easier to implement if you could share a comprehensive list that might actually be used, or built upon by other members. Otherwise I'd have to go back through releases and find all the challenges, read up on the ones I've forgotten, and make sure I didn't leave out any great ones. The results wouldn't be so great if a favorite was left out!

What, you mean I was actually supposed to do work and be helpful?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Next

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training