Thoughts From a Once Hardcore Fan

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Thoughts From a Once Hardcore Fan

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:53 pm

Sadly, for big companies like them, money talks louder than user feedback. Unpopularize their recent release and they'll probably be forced to rethink another way to juice the fruit.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:05 pm

Ranbir wrote:Battlefront, Battlefield('42/2/2042/3) and Creative Assembly's Spartan/Viking.

The third showing the greatest promise, imo.(Although they all have in their own settings) Which makes perfect sense coming from people that truly have mastered the ooh and aah effect of battlefield action. Spartan actually demonstrated a high quality of level design and optimisation and real time theatrics. Viking builds on aspects of that, provides the basis of one large open enviroment in which to interact with. I tell you what, I'm waiting for their third. Each one has taken giant steps forward.

Shooters don't count. :P If they did, I'd say Call of Duty 4, hands down, even if it's only a linear game pretending to bigger than it actually is, lol. It gets the job done when it comes to immersion. :wink:

I haven't played Spartan: Total Warrior, and I haven't heard any positive hype about Viking. The Total War series is godly though, but it doesn't apply either.

EDIT: Ranbir, I hope you don't mean this game: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/viki ... lt;title;2
[Current System]
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.63 GHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 770 @ 1241/3906 MHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 Triple Channel
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Cooler Master HAF 922 Chassis
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby MistroPain » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:15 pm

BTW shooters arent repetitive at all, thing is whenever i play Halo 3, CoD 4 etc. etc. i really keep gettin fascinated by the game cause i always kill or get killed in the best ways or something such as, where objectivly it is the same thing (Get from here to here, kill that guy and that guy) but still in DW you get repetitive gaming (press same combo over and over again) AND repetitive objectives and missions...
Plus i think he meant that game, which i have its decent but after a while once again just like DW you get bored :(
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Unread postby Gravity » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:36 am

While DW2 was a big jump from DW1, DW3 was an even bigger jump from DW2. It was titillating.

Now you don't get that feeling anymore.

I don't know much about DW6; I haven't picked it up yet. Kind of going off of other people's views, it seems the character design got a major revamp. However, playing DW6 for the little time I did came so easily to me, since the battle system is essentially the same.

And I have mixed feelings on that. It's a rehash, yes, but it's familiarity. Feelings only the DW older fanbase knows, huh.
Gravity
I Got Skillz

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:39 am

Shooters don't count.

Of course they do when they give you the exact premise of a 'battlefield setting' that Battlefront and Battlefield series provide. In multiplayer too, which does nothing but enhance the experience.

I haven't heard any positive hype about Viking.

Clearly haven't been listening because gamers have been positive over it. Aside from the linearity, it's a series that has a clear direction and daring enough to take the steps necessary to move forward to godly status. :wink:
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby MistroPain » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:51 am

Gravity wrote:While DW2 was a big jump from DW1, DW3 was an even bigger jump from DW2. It was titillating.

Now you don't get that feeling anymore.

I don't know much about DW6; I haven't picked it up yet. Kind of going off of other people's views, it seems the character design got a major revamp. However, playing DW6 for the little time I did came so easily to me, since the battle system is essentially the same.

And I have mixed feelings on that. It's a rehash, yes, but it's familiarity. Feelings only the DW older fanbase knows, huh.

Theres no way you can say DW2-3 was a bigger jump then DW1-2...
DW2 created a whole genre, something no one else had ever done, whilst DW3 still had a big jump adding a lot more... but DW1-2 was a bigger jump IMO.
Anyways ever since DW3-4 was like one step forward, whereas DW1-2 was walking a mile and DW2-3 was a kilometer, DW4-5 was also a single step forwards, and DW6 was one jump forward six steps back.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby talon1579 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:02 pm

Surely DW4 or 5 is the best game, as it was an improvement on DW3, whcih you all say is so bad. Did anything get worse between 3-5?
talon1579
Changshi

Unread postby MistroPain » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:05 pm

DW3 is still better only cause the speeches in it are funnier and better... DW4 and 5 took that away and gave us something different... something crappy... Plus level designs in DW3 were MUCH better, you had more open spaces where large conflicts could take place and in DW4 and 5 you have tight spots, it was all corridors and etc.
IMO the best DW game was DW2, followed by DW3, then 5 then 4, DW6 is the worst so far due to character design and everyone being bland...
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby talon1579 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:36 pm

Ah, but DW6 does have excellent graphics (compared to the others), the renbu system, and very good levels. Unfortunately, as you said, it lacks unique characters and maps.
talon1579
Changshi

Unread postby Gravity » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:00 pm

MistroPain wrote:Theres no way you can say DW2-3 was a bigger jump then DW1-2...
DW2 created a whole genre, something no one else had ever done, whilst DW3 still had a big jump adding a lot more... but DW1-2 was a bigger jump IMO.
Anyways ever since DW3-4 was like one step forward, whereas DW1-2 was walking a mile and DW2-3 was a kilometer, DW4-5 was also a single step forwards, and DW6 was one jump forward six steps back.

I should have clarified that I haven't played DW1, just read about it. DW3 was a big jump from DW2 even more than DW1 to DW2 just based on my experience. DW2 was cool, I got into it, but DW3 made me get INTO it.
Gravity
I Got Skillz

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training