Thoughts From a Once Hardcore Fan

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Thoughts From a Once Hardcore Fan

Unread postby MistroPain » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:20 pm

Ive never found many vs many, the AI in DW are useless and the allied AI are even dumber!
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Unread postby talon1579 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:22 pm

Have you actually played DW6? Or are you basing everything on DW5
talon1579
Changshi

Unread postby MistroPain » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:47 pm

I was basing that on DW6, everyone sais it has improved AI so they might juggle me once per battle but thats it, the AI is still HORRIBLE. Though it is an improvement.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Yue Jin » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:30 am

Mistro,Have you played the Drakengard games by Square-Enix?.I believe that both games were good,That you should try(If you haven't already).It's a mix of Dynasty Warriors and Panzer dragoon :mrgreen: .
"I am He Man, the devil who shoots across the sky. Who dare fight with me?"
Yue Jin
Apprentice

Unread postby MistroPain » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:13 pm

I think i have.... maybe ill get it if thats true, though i dont know what panzer dragoon is :P
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:54 pm

Yue Jin wrote:Mistro,Have you played the Drakengard games by Square-Enix?.I believe that both games were good,That you should try(If you haven't already).It's a mix of Dynasty Warriors and Panzer dragoon :mrgreen: .

I wonder if Drakengard inspired the miserable failure that was Lair. :wink:
[Current System]
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.63 GHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 770 @ 1241/3906 MHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 Triple Channel
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Cooler Master HAF 922 Chassis
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby GanNingOfWu » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:46 pm

I don't really like DW 6 and three is great it was the first I remember playing but I kinda like four a little better. But 6 is a mess... it's okay but... I fell like I'm caught in an endless loop of THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER again... lol idk the characters... some look alright likeLiu Bei... but others look terrible like Lu Bu and Gan Ning...
There is no time period better...
GanNingOfWu
Tyro

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:24 am

For the record, Lu Bu has had kabuki facepaint, or so called "eyeliner" since DW4. It's just more prominent in DW6. Maeda Keiji also has it in SW/SW2.
[Current System]
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.63 GHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 770 @ 1241/3906 MHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 Triple Channel
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Cooler Master HAF 922 Chassis
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby Huang Gai » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:51 pm

*Deliberately necroing epic thread*

I spent like two hours reading almost every post in this thread. If I could point KOEI's developers to one thread, this right here would be it.

Viking: Battle for Asgard was an awesome find. I had never heard of it before this thread.

Ranbir wrote:I can not find any other game series that is simply giving you the exact same story you experienced in the game before, nor in such frequency.

Question: How much more satisfying would you have found the series if say:

DW2 provided an indepth, detailed musou mode covering the Yellow Turban Rebellion.
DW3 provided an indepth, detailed musou mode covering the coalition against Dong and the antics of Lu Bu
DW4 provided an indepth, detailed musou mode covering Cao Cao's rise to power and Liu Bei doing stuff
DW5 provided an indepth, detailed musou mode covering whatever happened after that, blah blah.
And so forth?

Proper sequels, we're actually getting to enjoy moving forward in the story, better sense in the process of introducing new characters and less fatigue in the gameplay itself(that hasn't changed much until Renbu) rather than having ourselves reboot all in the name of a few cosmetic changes.
What can KOEI really do? Their hands are a bit tied by it being based on the ROTK book.

Does anyone think it would be a good idea for them to explore radically different alternative history such as Liu Bei being slain early and Guan Yu and Zhang Fei moving under the employ of Gonsong Zan, who defeats Dong Zhou in a battle at the capital, where the emperor is subsequently slain, etc?
Huang Gai
Tyro

Unread postby rippletoadz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:00 pm

I personally don't complain too much about the repetitive nature of the series, since sports games do that too every year. The NFL doesn't change its rules every year dramatically, so the Madden games can't be too different aside from the graphics and new players.

If Koei wanted to spice things up a bit to the story, it could include more bits and pieces from history that is not mentioned in the novel. For example, Guanqiu Jian and the Goguryeo campaign, or Wu and the Shanyue campaign. They could also change things up to the storytelling by including officers who only appear in history or are historically radically different from the novel that still have interesting stories. For example, He Qi, Lou Gui. I would especially love to see those two become realized.

EDIT: I just saw that this thread was originally from 2008, and the latest post was from February. If anyone still wants to reply to me, please feel free to.
rippletoadz
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training