Thoughts From a Once Hardcore Fan

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Re: Thoughts From a Once Hardcore Fan

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:38 pm

I'm not a Koei expert, what games have Team Ninja been involved in?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:54 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I'm not a Koei expert, what games have Team Ninja been involved in?

Mostly the Dead or Alive series and Ninja Gaiden, but I think they also have been involved in the Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, one of the Dissidia games, and Nioh as well.
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:59 pm

Cool and were those games well received? I don't really play games outside of Dynasty Warriors and Warriors Orochi these days!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:28 pm

Nioh was extraordinarily popular, but it's not hard when you're just a Dark Souls clone.
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Academic

Unread postby Valvatorez » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:53 pm

I used to really like the Dead or Alive series, but kinda lost interest in it after 5 came out and you see over $1000 of DLC available :shock:
Most of those games do have good reviews though, and aren't bad, but better if you already like the series, like Hyrule Warriors and Zelda, or Dissidia since I always loved Final Fantasy games, so I guess it just depends what kinda games you like. So I think it might be ok if Team Ninja did take over for a couple of games, as long as they stay away from all that DLC costs :mrgreen:
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:02 pm

I love Team Ninja games, especially DOA and Nioh.

And it's true that there's like $1000 of DLC for DOA5, but at least 99% of it is cosmetic. I'm okay with costumes and such being DLC -- it's when gameplay and story elements are hidden behind a paywall that I get annoyed.
Jia Nanfeng
Assistant

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:23 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:Nioh was extraordinarily popular, but it's not hard when you're just a Dark Souls clone.

A clone? I hated original Dark Souls for its slow pace combat, lack of story (although lore was provided in items description), lack of cutscenes, very basic noncomplex weapon upgrades. And it's combat is nowhere near the fast level of Nioh, with customizable stances.
Nioh does take a lot from other games. But not Dark Souls, although I haven't played 2 and 3 or Bloodborne. It's been in development long before them anyway.
There are games that have more rights to claim Nioh to be a "clone". First and foremost Onimusha, because of whole samurai vs Yokai. Secondly Diablo, because of the loot, which is a very important aspect of Nioh. Thirdly the Way of the Samurai, because of the whole stances and customizable movesets.
Anyway, Nioh 2 is confirmed to be released. Looking forward, although the whole turn-into-yokai doesn't excite me as much as other players.
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training