Strategist weapons

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Strategist weapons

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:08 am

Kong Wen thinks that fans are getting boring as a strategist's weapon of choice.

If Koei were to add a strategist-type character, what kind of weapon would you like to see him/her have?

Kong Wen suggested a book. I wouldn't want to see a book used as a weapon, though. Books are kinda sacred to me and I wouldn't like to see one abused in battle combat.

What about metal "brushes", though? One of the popular weapons of scholarly-types in martial arts novels is the "Iron Pen", which is basically a pair of shortish metal sticks, around the same size as calligraphy writing brushes people used in China. The point is to inflict damage by hitting the opponent's acupuncture points (or simply by poking their eyes out, or something...). They are considered more "refined" weapons as they don't rely on brute strength.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:12 am

There's the RPG options of Rods or Staves, of course. A "magic sword" might be appropriate, but it would probably end up to similar to the normal swords.

Perhaps daggers would work well?

I don't recall any games where people bash each other with books. Even in Final Fantasy Tactics, it's like they read a spell from the book to do damage.
"You have attacked us before, and we survived! You cannot defeat us. Submit!"
"We have. You did. We can. No."
Taishi Ci 2.0
Grand Historian Friendly to Cats

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:34 am

Taishi Ci 2.0 wrote:I don't recall any games where people bash each other with books. Even in Final Fantasy Tactics, it's like they read a spell from the book to do damage.

Think how awesome that would be if implemented properly in DW! Your attack strings would look like the character flipping through pages and the enemies getting hurt in various ways (knocked back, thrown into the air, etc.).

If we wanted to make Lu Su a bowman, he could just fight with the bow and arrows (hit with bow, stab with arrows), but that's getting out of the realm of strategist-specific weapons.

Just a plain old dagger would be pretty boring, but what if we upped the ante and made it a cloak & dagger? The strategist could have a dagger in one hand and swing around a bit of cloth from the end of his robe / cape with the other.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:42 am

Kong Wen wrote:
Taishi Ci 2.0 wrote:I don't recall any games where people bash each other with books. Even in Final Fantasy Tactics, it's like they read a spell from the book to do damage.

Think how awesome that would be if implemented properly in DW! Your attack strings would look like the character flipping through pages and the enemies getting hurt in various ways (knocked back, thrown into the air, etc.).

If we wanted to make Lu Su a bowman, he could just fight with the bow and arrows (hit with bow, stab with arrows), but that's getting out of the realm of strategist-specific weapons.

Just a plain old dagger would be pretty boring, but what if we upped the ante and made it a cloak & dagger? The strategist could have a dagger in one hand and swing around a bit of cloth from the end of his robe / cape with the other.

If they're just standing there reciting spells, wouldn't that leave them open to attack? I mean, for normal weapons you're at least knocking back people in front of you. Maybe if the book range was extended to reach further around the character (like a sideways C, with the gap being behind the character).

Cloak and Dagger sounds like a joke character. I suppose it's more reasonable than cards. How would you properly animate the cloak, though?
"You have attacked us before, and we survived! You cannot defeat us. Submit!"
"We have. You did. We can. No."
Taishi Ci 2.0
Grand Historian Friendly to Cats

Unread postby Adam » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:13 am

I love the book idea for some disturbing reason.
"'Ware Lu Su and his incredibly damaging paper cut attack!"

I'd think the cloak would be a bitch to animate properly, they already have problems making carriages not be able to go through walls (A la Guan Yu's escape in DW4).
Sounds kinda interesting though.

And Zhang Jiao already has a rod thing, so that's nothing too special.
Some sort of magic sword that floats in the air and attacks opponents while the guy stands there might work, but it probably would be horribly unrealistic.
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:59 am

The problem with reciting from the book leaving you open to attack could easily be solved because the range of attacks would be completely arbitrary. One of the moves in your attack string or one of your charge moves could just be a good crowd-clearing move like many of the other weapons have. The only difference is that the dude would just be standing there, or maybe walking around, while damage and knock-back "spontaneously" happens around him. I think it would be cool. ;)

The cloak wouldn't really be able to be a part of the character's robe/cape—that would be too hard to animate—but it could be held in the hand or wrapped around the forearm with little difficulty. They've already animated "swinging" weapons like Oichi's, Hideyoshi's, and to some extent Kotaro's in SW2.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby LiuBang1992 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:08 am

i think it would be cool if a strategist have a zither and when he plays it they get damaged
LiuBang1992
Tyro

Unread postby Adam » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:08 am

One of the attacks with the book would absolutely HAVE to be the character smashing the book over the guy's head, or slapping him with it in some way....you can't not hit someone with a book when you have one....or maybe slam someones face in it....yeah that last one's a bit much.

I suppose the 'arm cloak' would be alright, though it sounds less cool.
Though I guess *stab stab, indian burn with cloak, stab, tear off hangnail with cloak, stab* would be a decent attack string. :P

Some sort of crystal ball type object might be interesting, though it'd be hard to give it a decent range.
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:16 am

LiuBang1992 wrote:i think it would be cool if a strategist have a zither and when he plays it they get damaged

Like those blind guys in Stephen Chow's movie Kung Fu Hustle?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby DarkDecapodian » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:45 am

Since Koei don't seem to be implementing a policy of exclusive sword/spear type weapons for all the characters, like the original novels, the possible range of weapons for the strategists is wide indeed. Since they usually never took part in actual fighting, the weapon design need not necessarily include real-world functionality. If Zhen Ji can get away with wielding a flute, what could someone like Jia Xu (if he gets included) or Lu Su (ditto) brandish? The book idea's a good one; as well, why not something like a calligraphy brush, a lantern, or some other household object? Imagine, writing materials with attack +30... :twisted: .
DarkDecapodian
Assistant

Next

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training