Most offensive or inaccurate portrayal?

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Who is portrayed the most offensively?

Xu Zhu
21%
Gan Ning
2%
Zhang He
50%
Zou Ci
2%
Wei Yan
17%
Cao Pi
No votes
Zhang Jiao
No votes
Sun Shang Xiang
5%
Sima Yi
2%
Yuan Shao
No votes

Total votes : 42

Most offensive or inaccurate portrayal?

Unread postby forweg » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:50 am

I realize DW has always primarily been a fantasy series with no historical merit.

However, I do believe Koei crosses the line when the characters in the game have literally no association with the actual people. These people really did exist, Koei.

My pick is Gan Ning. The man was absolute evil in reality, while he is presented as a harmless anime goofball in DW. Zhang Jiao is a close second.

(I left out most of the females for obvious reasons. SSX is included because she was absolutely crazy, but is depicted as a cheerful young girl in love. *sigh* A more accurate SSX would be so much more interesting.)
forweg
Apprentice

Unread postby Darkest Legacy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:13 pm

Zhang He is the worst, how can you make an honord man, who accomplished many things and is a well known Wei General, into a gay homosexual prick.
Darkest Legacy
Banned

Unread postby Mei » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:40 pm

Zhang He is definately the worst, but Zhang Fei also can be added because he was in fact quite intelligent. He did like a drink but he developed his strategical way of thinking over time, and was a very capable commander, not a brainless oaf.
Also, Xu Zhu wasn't fat and stupid, so he has been given an unfair portrayal too.

Sun Shang Xiang should be more independant, and less up her brothers' backsides. And Sima Yi needs to be a little more conniving.
Mei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Darkest Legacy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:06 pm

Personally i still think that Zhang He's spirit is gonna kill who ever owns koei. If only mythology was true 'Sigh'.
Darkest Legacy
Banned

Unread postby Mei » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:26 pm

Darkest Legacy wrote:Personally i still think that Zhang He's spirit is gonna kill who ever owns koei. If only mythology was true 'Sigh'.

Mythology is! Read my story! Oh, right I haven't finished it... :wink:

Zhang He is a prime example of what anyone will do to gain more money or fans or whatever it is that Koei want the most. They should not make a historical figure into something so inaccurate just to gain popularity. If people were fans of the game they would want to see the truth.
Mei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Darkest Legacy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:32 pm

I think Zhang He lost KOEI a couple of fans actually.
Darkest Legacy
Banned

Wei Yan: Most Offensive Portrayal in DW

Unread postby Xian Xu » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:40 pm

I assume that if you could travel through time and inform the actual people of the future portrayal in Koei entertainment, then Zhang He would probably be most offended.

However, I voted for Wei Yan because I personally feel that as an intelligent person it is more offensive to be portrayed as mentally handicapped caveman than it is to be portrayed as an overly effeminate warrior. One could make the same argument for Zhang Fei, except that Wei Yan is portrayed as someone that is dumb to the point that he cannot put sentences together.
Xiǎn Xù (冼旭)
Xian Xu
Scholar

Unread postby Darkest Legacy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:42 pm

Im kinda greeing but still Zhang He turned to gay, if i was made gay i would be bloody offended, so offended that id rush to the ancestor of the person and shoot him with an arrow in his face twelve times.
If i was made stupid id just shoot him once in the face.
Darkest Legacy
Banned

Unread postby forweg » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:02 pm

I assume that if you could travel through time and inform the actual people of the future portrayal in Koei entertainment, then Zhang He would probably be most offended.

However, I voted for Wei Yan because I personally feel that as an intelligent person it is more offensive to be portrayed as mentally handicapped caveman than it is to be portrayed as an overly effeminate warrior. One could make the same argument for Zhang Fei, except that Wei Yan is portrayed as someone that is dumb to the point that he cannot put sentences together.

I agree, but at least Wei Yan seems to have some semblance being "mysterious" and "tough". Xu Zhu is blatantly obese and retarded.

Then again, I'm sure Zhang Jiao would appreciate being depicted as a crazed, irrational zealot...
forweg
Apprentice

Re: Most offensive or inaccurate portrayal?

Unread postby Shadowlink » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:04 pm

forweg wrote:I realize DW has always primarily been a fantasy series with no historical merit.

However, I do believe Koei crosses the line when the characters in the game have literally no association with the actual people. These people really did exist, Koei.

My pick is Gan Ning. The man was absolute evil in reality, while he is presented as a harmless anime goofball in DW. Zhang Jiao is a close second.

(I left out most of the females for obvious reasons. SSX is included because she was absolutely crazy, but is depicted as a cheerful young girl in love. *sigh* A more accurate SSX would be so much more interesting.)
Agree, Gan ning is over powered and in accurate. He is indeed evil. Zhang he was a good defending general can open up ways for Sima yi to use his tactic
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Next

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training