Lu Meng

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Lu Meng

Unread postby Shadowlink » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:51 pm

I cant find anything cool with this guy. Overall I hate him because in the novel he kill one of my fav characters at fan castle and that made me stop for novel for a bit before reading again. In RTK 4 I must admit he was my fav character with 85 war and 90 int. At one point I wanted his int to be higher and his rtk 4 portrait looks good. Along with zhou yu i liked the kingdom of wu until the I read the book. Anyways getting back in rtk x Im kind of scared of him because when lu su dies my characteri n shu will alway say something like lu su has died.... lu meng has succeeded him.... we lose a good friend and wu stragery is going to change which means trouble for me and I hate reading it. in DW his moveset is horrible I don't get why zhang liao is better than him. His voicing is okay but I cant attack with him. I played him in chaos mode and I 100% die. Any luck in chaos with him? tell me?

Well here comes the flame but please tell me why this guy deserves my respect without bashing shu and teach me how to use him. I still like him over jiang wei though
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Jason » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:18 pm

From what I remember, he joined Wu's army at like 14 or 15? He was just your basic warrior for a good part of his life, no real intellectual skills. he didn't take on studyign war until his 30's maybe? So, unlike these tacticians who have been studying this since childhood, and being schooled for it, he earned that high INT rating much later on in his life, making him a pretty good guy to have on your side. Brains and brawn. And the baddest 5 oclock shadow that the 3 kingdoms has seen.
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:30 pm

Lü Meng was actually very firmly dedicated to justice and righteousness. A few examples:

He snuck into Sun Ce's army at a very young age so that he could bring success not to himself, but to his family.
    He killed some low-ranking officer who had on several times insulted his mother, but then turned himself in. Sun Ce was impressed with him and made him his bodyguard.
    Eventually, Sun Ce promoted him to Major, and under the leadership of Sun Quan and Lu Su, he began to study the classics and apply them to his abilities.
    At one point, a servant boy from Gan Ning's household committed a small offense and sought refuge with Lü Meng. Lü Meng took him in and took the boy to apologize to Gan Ning, making Gan Ning promise not to punish the boy. When Gan Ning killed the boy anyway, Lü Meng gathered his soldiers and cornered Gan Ning on one of his boats, prepared to kill him. It was only at Lü Meng's mother's urging that Gan Ning was spared, and from that moment on, Gan Ning became a model officer and apologized for his actions.
    When he invaded Jing, Lü Meng did not allow even a hat to be stolen from the citizenry of Jing. Say what you will about killing Guan Yu, but Lü Meng treated the peasants well and earned their respect.

Lü Meng may have had a hand in the breakdown of Wu-Shu relations, but he was concerned with the welfare of his state and also with justice. The Wu army had quite a few shady characters - Gan Ning, Pan Zhang, et cetera - but Lü Meng kept them in check.

Ability wise, Lü Meng probably was not the equal of Lu Xun or Zhou Yu, but in terms of dedication to his state and dedication to doing what's right, I feel he is unequalled.

Plus, he has one of the coolest portraits in Sanguo Shishi. :D

"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby urbanterrorist » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:40 pm

Let the overt bashing of Lu Meng by Shuist begin.

I'm sorry if anyone's favorite character is Lu Meng but he is one of the worst in my books. I would rather play with the meathead general or any generic general before chosing Lu Meng.

It is nice to know that there is one clean soul among the ranks of Wu. Wu is the hoarding place of ex-pirates, Royal Seal Thieves, and heart breakers. :P

Sun Gongli I heard that the story with the hat being stolen was attribute to Xu Huang. Guess I must have misheard.

He looks really confused in his Sanguo Shihi picture.
They miss the whisper that runs any day in your mind,
"Who are you really, wanderer?" and the answer you have to give
no matter how dark and cold the world around you is:
"Maybe I'm a king. -William Stafford
urbanterrorist
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shadowlink » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:44 pm

Dunno I respect him alittle more but I still do not like him because of thw wu-shu thing. Right after hanzhong things look good then the novel went down
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:19 am

He's not confused. He's scheming. Now Cao Ren... HE looks confused.

Lü Meng was quick to temper, and Guan Yu happened to push his buttons, whether it be intentionally or unintentionally. But I think Guan Yu got what he deserved. Lü Meng (and Lu Xun) outfoxed him at every turn.

And the story is about Lü Meng. It's in his SGZ biography. There's no mention of anything like that in Xu Huang's.
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:34 am

Ezekiel wrote:And the baddest 5 oclock shadow that the 3 kingdoms has seen.

Damned straight.

Also, can you find someone else who's humble enough and serious enough about his job to take up studying after they're a grown up? As an educator, I have tons of respect for people who go back to school after having a real job/life. I have some mature students who cared enough about education to suffer sitting along with kids barely out of teenage angst and be taught by someone much younger then them. It's hard to start studying when you're an adult, but Lu Meng did it and he aced his studies. Talk about dedication.

And I love the fact that he helped Gan Ning to reach his potential, even though Gan Ning pissed him off so bad at every turn. Here's someone who overlooks personal opinions for the sake of his lord.

I guess you can also say that he's got quite a bit of character growth in the novel, which is rare for a novel of this type.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:48 am

Also, he spent his own funds in order to outfit and train his soldiers. I don't think anyone else ever showed that kind of dedication.
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:01 am

Sun Gongli wrote:Also, he spent his own funds in order to outfit and train his soldiers. I don't think anyone else ever showed that kind of dedication.

Wasn't that just to impress Sun Quan and avoid having his unit disbanded?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:10 am

I think that had Lü Meng not done that, he would not have been noticed. Surely he knew that as well.
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Next

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training